Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeaSquab
Hi,

I am interested in two courses at Lancaster (Environmental Chemistry and Earth and Environmental Science), but I would like to know a bit more information about these courses.

How many people apply for Environmental Chemistry each year? I am wondering because whatuni.com says only 7 people applied in 2013, and I am wondering if I am more likely to be made an offer if this number remains this low each year.

Also, the Earth and Environmental Science course requires only one science at A-Level, and I am wondering if the offer for the course would be lower if I were to apply with more than one science at A2?

Thanks for your time! Lancaster is likely to be my firm choice if I receive a reasonable offer, so I look forward to studying there!

Hello,

17 applicants applied for the course for 2014 entry; however it is important to remember that as the course is taught jointly by two departments (Chemistry and Lancaster Environment Centre) you would be attending lectures and seminars from both departments with other students on related courses. As long as you have grades in the region of those that we ask for, a strong personal statement and supportive academic reference there is a really good chance of an initial offer. Entry requirements are not adjusted in year depending on the number of applications.

Earth and Environmental Science does require a minimum of one science subject but offers would not be amended where an student is studying two or more sciences. However this would count in your favour should you narrowly miss the entry criteria.

If you are interested in meeting the department prior to applying and discussing which course is the best fit for you, you might find one of our campus tours with department drop in session useful. Alternatively should you apply and be made an offer you'll be invited to attend an applicant visit day where you can meet the department academic staff who teach on the course, explore the facilities and those of wider campus.

I hope this information helps, do let me know if you have any other questions.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by politicalfreak
Hello,

I have applied for Politics and International Relations at Lancaster. I have two questions I was hoping I could have help with. Firstly, what is your average offer time in terms of responding to an application? Secondly, do you offer unconditional s on this course?

Thank you,
PF.

Hello,

Excluding those applying to Medicine and Surgery the majority of applications receive a decision or interview invite within 10-15 days of receiving the application; this may extend slightly at busy times of the year such as after the recent 15th UCAS deadline.

The course is included in the Unconditional Offer Scheme this year.

Lancaster University
Original post by star100
Hi,

I have recently dropped out of university this academic year as I've felt that the course was not right. However, I did do an elective module in another subject and it has convinced me what i should do course wise and i hope to apply in this UCAS cycle for entry in 2016.
I have very strong A-level grades and relevant work experience linked to the course to, but i'm worried about the fact I dropped out of uni will devastate my chances of getting an offer. Will my application be looked at negatively because I dropped out, even if it does show iI'm eager to do a different one? Do I need to declare that I dropped out of uni on my UCAS form?

Hello,

Your application would certainly be considered but based on a number of factors. We recommend listing your previous university study via your UCAS application. Depending upon how long you spend at your previous institution the Admissions Office would discuss with you your reasons for wanting to leave the course and look that you were in good academic standing at the point of leaving. if you felt there were mitigating or extenuating circumstances that affected your study do also declare these. if you would like further information on the possibility of applying and being accepted I recommend you email [email protected] with further details (subject of interest, details of your previous study including university and A Level and reasons for wishing to change) and the team would be happy to advise you.

Lancaster University
Original post by Lancaster University
Hello,

Excluding those applying to Medicine and Surgery the majority of applications receive a decision or interview invite within 10-15 days of receiving the application; this may extend slightly at busy times of the year such as after the recent 15th UCAS deadline.

The course is included in the Unconditional Offer Scheme this year.

Lancaster University

Thank you for this, Ms Harpley. Having applied on the 10th October, should I expect a response soon or will it be delayed by the influx of applications during the UCAS deadline?

Again, thank you for your timely response,
PF.
Original post by politicalfreak
Thank you for this, Ms Harpley. Having applied on the 10th October, should I expect a response soon or will it be delayed by the influx of applications during the UCAS deadline?

Again, thank you for your timely response,
PF.

Hello again PF,

All the admission team are geared up for getting decisions to applicants as soon as possible so I would hope that you would receive confirmation of any decision via UCAS within the next 7 or so working days.

Lancaster University
Hi,
I'm a student who is looking to apply for mechanical engineering at lancaster this year. My AS grades are below what they should be for my chosen course due to reasons such as taking on 6 a levels (which was a really bad decision) and not being able to cope with the work load meaning i under achieved in all of my subjects. However my subject teachers have predicted me above what I achieved at AS but also above what I need to achieve at A2. I'm worried that the admissions for engineering will see this as an over prediction and reject me. To make sure my application is fully considered would explaining my situation in my PS help. Or should I leave it to my reference writer to explain that I am fully capable of getting the grades predicted. I'm just worried about getting rejected.
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 826
Hello,
Just a query into how I'd go about seeing whether or not the course I am interested in is included in the unconditional scheme. Is there a specific page I need to look at?
Thanks
Hi,
I am currently in the process of applying to both LLB Law and LLB Law and Criminology at Lancaster University. I am predicted AAAA, and heard about the Unconditional Scheme that Lancaster has adopted and I was wondering whether either of these courses apply to that?
Thank you
Megan
Hello i was wondering if i could get on to the computer science Msci course with Grades - BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Computer science at grade DDD
I have a B in gcse english but a C in gcse maths though :frown:
I do have a strong background of science subjects though in gcse such as engineering, additional science, science, ICT and computer science all at grade B.
Do you believe i have a strong chance at getting onto the course?
Original post by Lorna-Pixie
Hi,
I'm a student who is looking to apply for mechanical engineering at lancaster this year. My AS grades are below what they should be for my chosen course due to reasons such as taking on 6 a levels (which was a really bad decision) and not being able to cope with the work load meaning i under achieved in all of my subjects. However my subject teachers have predicted me above what I achieved at AS but also above what I need to achieve at A2. I'm worried that the admissions for engineering will see this as an over prediction and reject me. To make sure my application is fully considered would explaining my situation in my PS help. Or should I leave it to my reference writer to explain that I am fully capable of getting the grades predicted. I'm just worried about getting rejected.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello,

As long as your referee can explain the reasoning behind their predictions for you this should be sufficient. The admissions office would be looking to the reference to explain any anomaly grades or discrepancies between GCSE and AS Level attainment. You are quite restricted within the personal statement so if you feel you cannot fit an explanation within it you can always send additional information to us directly via email to [email protected] and we'll make sure it is considered alongside your application.

Lancaster University
Original post by SMer
Hello,
Just a query into how I'd go about seeing whether or not the course I am interested in is included in the unconditional scheme. Is there a specific page I need to look at?
Thanks

Hello,

You can find information on the scheme here, this gives an overview of the subject areas included in the scheme. If you have a particular course of interest do just let me know and I'll be able to advise.

Lancaster University
Original post by Megann_0104
Hi,
I am currently in the process of applying to both LLB Law and LLB Law and Criminology at Lancaster University. I am predicted AAAA, and heard about the Unconditional Scheme that Lancaster has adopted and I was wondering whether either of these courses apply to that?
Thank you
Megan

Hello Megan,

Both LLB Law (M100) and LLB Law and Criminology (MM12) are included in the unconditional offer scheme. Should you make an application it would automatically be reviewed as part of the scheme and should you meet the criteria the department would let you know further details at the point of offer.

Lancaster University
Original post by brirsafa343
Hello i was wondering if i could get on to the computer science Msci course with Grades - BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Computer science at grade DDD
I have a B in gcse english but a C in gcse maths though :frown:
I do have a strong background of science subjects though in gcse such as engineering, additional science, science, ICT and computer science all at grade B.
Do you believe i have a strong chance at getting onto the course?

The Computer Science Msci courses typically stick to GCSE criteria quite rigidly. Have you considered applying for the BSc variant? It is possible to switch to the MSci variant up until the end of your second or possibly third year of study. Based on the strength of the science subjects you listed an application from you would certainly be considered however I could not guarantee an offer would be made to you.

Lancaster University
Hello,

I applied to do Economics B the University on 15th October. I am retaking the year and doing my A2 Exams in one year because of difficult circumstances meaning I was not able to do well in my AS levels. I applied through UCAS as an individual and am currently self studying and I have a tutor. My tutor has written me a solid reference and has stated that I wasn't able to achieve my potential grades in the AS year because of some circumstances and predicted me grades which I am capable of getting, however she didn't really go into detail about my AS results. As I wasn't able to mention this on my PS, I'm worried about being rejected. I still haven't received any other information after the application receipt. Is there anything else I should do?
Thank you
Hello,

I sent off my application for Mechanical Engineering on 14th October. I understand that this would be a busy time, but how long would it roughly take for a decision to come through? Also, is the unconditional scheme available for Mechanical Engineering? If so, what are the requirements that a student is expected to meet in order to get an unconditional offer?

Thank you for your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I am a Scottish student wishing to apply for the MEcon Economics course. I was wondering what the entry requirements were for Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers. I am studying 3 advanced highers this year with predicted grades of AAB and I was wondering if this would be enough for an offer.

Thanks
Kyle
Hi I'm looking for some advice. I am currently 19 years old. I left college this summer with only one a-level in English Literature and Language (Grade E). This was due to medical reasons (suffering from anxiety and depression as well as panic attacks). I would like to go to university however I know this is not possible at all in my current situation. At this point I would like to inform you I do have 5 gcse grade a*-c including Maths and English.

After talking to the national career service about my situation they recommended that I do an access to higher education course in Humanities if I would like to study English Literature at University in 2017. As well as this they said it would be a good I idea to contact the universities that I want to apply to and see how willing they would be to accept my application for English Literature having taken the HE course so that is my question for you today, would it be in my favour to put Lancaster University as one of my choices based on my situation.

Kind Regards
Rianna Bowman.
Original post by monkeeyy
Hello,

I applied to do Economics B the University on 15th October. I am retaking the year and doing my A2 Exams in one year because of difficult circumstances meaning I was not able to do well in my AS levels. I applied through UCAS as an individual and am currently self studying and I have a tutor. My tutor has written me a solid reference and has stated that I wasn't able to achieve my potential grades in the AS year because of some circumstances and predicted me grades which I am capable of getting, however she didn't really go into detail about my AS results. As I wasn't able to mention this on my PS, I'm worried about being rejected. I still haven't received any other information after the application receipt. Is there anything else I should do?
Thank you

Hello,

Finishing your A Levels over a 3 year period would not be a problem when applying to Economics so no need to worry about that. As long as your referee has given a basic explanation of your circumstances this should be sufficient; the admissions office would be looking for some sort of explanation behind anomaly grades or performance. If they require any further information they will contact you or your referee directly. If you would like to provide further information at this stage you are more than welcome to do so, please email [email protected] and we'll make sure it is attached to your application.

The admissions office aim to have a decision or interview invite (where appropriate) with applicants within 10-15 working days of receiving the application.

Lancaster University
Original post by samruddhi
Hello,

I sent off my application for Mechanical Engineering on 14th October. I understand that this would be a busy time, but how long would it roughly take for a decision to come through? Also, is the unconditional scheme available for Mechanical Engineering? If so, what are the requirements that a student is expected to meet in order to get an unconditional offer?

Thank you for your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

The admissions office aim to have a decision or interview invite (where appropriate) with all applicants outside of the Medical School within 10-15 working days of receiving an application; do keep an eye on UCAS Track in the coming days for an update.

The Engineering department are taking part in the unconditional scheme this year; all eligible applicants will be considered and reviewed based on GCSE attainment and predicted grades and invited to an interview. Your department will let you know full details if you qualify.

Lancaster University
Original post by KAMurray
Hi

I am a Scottish student wishing to apply for the MEcon Economics course. I was wondering what the entry requirements were for Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers. I am studying 3 advanced highers this year with predicted grades of AAB and I was wondering if this would be enough for an offer.

Thanks
Kyle

Hello Kyle,

Your Advanced Higher predictions would certainly be considered as of a suitable level. Both Highers and Advanced Highers are acceptable for entry to Lancaster undergraduate degree courses, although it is worth pointing out that if a specific subjects is required at A Level equivalent we would typically look to see that subject taken at Advanced Higher level. For Economics there are no subject specific requirements.

Typically Higher grades of AAABB would be required, alternatively a combination of Higher and Advanced Higher of Advanced Higher grades alone could be considered. If you'd like exact information I recommend emailing [email protected] with your Higher (subjects and grades) and Advanced Higher subjects, the team would be happy to advise you further.

Lancaster University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending