The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ameliah1
What happens if you miss the entry requirements by one grade? Will i be a definite no? I've applied for psychology Bsc

Hello Ameliah1,

No, your application will not be immediately made unsuccessful. Should you fall narrowly below the grades required your whole application will be considered and there is still a very good chance of being made the unconditional offer although at this stage I cannot make any guarantee.

I hope this helps.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I am an international student. I have received my exam results and I have met and exceeded all requirements specified on my offer letter. I forwarded a soft copy of my mark sheet to the university some days ago. When will my offer turn unconditional? Now that I have met all requirements there's no possible way for the uni to not accept me is there?
Original post by Sivlovescupcake
I am an international student. I have received my exam results and I have met and exceeded all requirements specified on my offer letter. I forwarded a soft copy of my mark sheet to the university some days ago. When will my offer turn unconditional? Now that I have met all requirements there's no possible way for the uni to not accept me is there?

Hello,

Unfortunately this is quite a busy time for the admissions office, so the processing of results and applications can take a little longer than at other points in the year. If you have met or exceeded all conditions, there is no need to worry! You have done the right thing in sending a copy of your examination results directly to us, hopefully in the next few days your place at Lancaster will be confirmed. If there is anything further required from you we will of course let you know directly.

Lancaster University
Hello, I would just like to find out if there are any particular colleges preferred by Physics Undergratuates?
Hello :smile:

I want to study Film Studies at your University, I got a conditional offer and the course asks for AAB/ABB

I'm worried that I may get ABC in my exams, I also put Lancaster for my insurance choice for the same grades.

Is there any chance I can still get a place if my results turn out to be ABC? :frown:
Original post by Scott Dean
Hello, I would just like to find out if there are any particular colleges preferred by Physics Undergratuates?

Hello Scott,

Academic departments are not affiliated to any particular College, Colleges are a separate entity focusing on the social, pastoral and welfare side of university life.

Some people may choose a College because of it's geographic location (close to academic department/lab space) but as lectures and seminars can be in a number of locations all over campus this does not give any guarantee of sticking to one localised area.

When choosing your College we recommend basing it on your own personal preferences, whether this is accommodation type/price, campus location or College character.

You might find the following link useful: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation/choose-your-college/

Feel free to contact the Colleges directly should you have any questions, alternatively there are a number of College based threads on TSR which may contain useful information.

Lancaster University
Original post by kingzebra
Hello :smile:

I want to study Film Studies at your University, I got a conditional offer and the course asks for AAB/ABB

I'm worried that I may get ABC in my exams, I also put Lancaster for my insurance choice for the same grades.

Is there any chance I can still get a place if my results turn out to be ABC? :frown:

Typically if a student falls one grade below the stated offer (or an equivalent combination) there is still a good chance of being accepted,the entire application will at the point of receiving results be reviewed and an informed decision made. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee on individual cases at this point but would advise that it is certainly a possibility.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Hello,

I have Lancaster Uni as a firm choice too, (Politics with a year abroad) - and I was wondering, what are the options for internships ? Can we apply for an internship inside an embassy or something relevant to the programme ?

Thank you,
D.P
Original post by enozzero
Hello,

I have Lancaster Uni as a firm choice too, (Politics with a year abroad) - and I was wondering, what are the options for internships ? Can we apply for an internship inside an embassy or something relevant to the programme ?

Thank you,
D.P

Hello,

For the most detailed information on study abroad options I recommend you contact the department directly, alternatively you may find the following link useful: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/ppr/undergraduate/studyabroad/index.php

A year in industry does not form part of this particular degree scheme but that does not mean that the opportunity to do so is not available to you, again I recommend contacting the academic department for further advise. You can reach them directly via [email protected].

Lancaster University
Do you have partnerships with universities over the sea also for the Law programmes, besides the European ones ?
Hi,
I firmed Lancaster University for Advertising and Marketing a few months ago. I was wondering if it would be possible to change to Marketing with a year abroad or just Marketing, and if so, how would I go about doing this? I know the first year is the same for both courses anyway.
Thanks for your help!
Original post by Rebeccalh
Hi,
I firmed Lancaster University for Advertising and Marketing a few months ago. I was wondering if it would be possible to change to Marketing with a year abroad or just Marketing, and if so, how would I go about doing this? I know the first year is the same for both courses anyway.
Thanks for your help!

I would speak to the course director when you start, and then at the end of the first year when picking your Part II modules, just change your major programme.

I know I'm not Official, but that's what I would do - the Official representatives might give you some different advice though :smile:
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I would speak to the course director when you start, and then at the end of the first year when picking your Part II modules, just change your major programme.

I know I'm not Official, but that's what I would do - the Official representatives might give you some different advice though :smile:

I'm sure your advice is as good as anyones, it's been the best I've had so far so thanks again! :smile:
Original post by Rebeccalh
Hi,
Thanks for your help!

Hi Rebecca,

There are two ways of organising a change of course. As MalteseMalteser mentions you can change your course once you arrive in Lancaster; when you register or even as late as the end of your first year.

Alternatively you can request a change of course at this point by emailing the admissions office ([email protected]) with the request. Before doing so it is always worth checking out the course information page to look for any course specific requirements.
Should you meet any requirements a change of course offer will be made (you will be able to see confirmation of this via UCAS), should the admissions officers feel unable to make you the alternative offer your original offer will still stand.

It is worth noting that certain study abroad vacancies are limited and/or very popular so there is no guarantee that should you wish to switch to a study abroad course during your first year that a space will be available, in this case I would recommend requesting a change of course as soon as you are sure that is the path you wish to take!

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Original post by enozzero
Do you have partnerships with universities over the sea also for the Law programmes, besides the European ones ?

Hello,

All current study abroad destinations are with our verified European partner institutions; for partners we seek universities, which have a high academic reputation, are experienced in dealing with visiting students and which offer a pleasant stay for our students. Students studying European Legal Studies will study in the host nation language while Law (International) students will study in English.

The Law School are currently working to expand the partner institution scheme to offer places in North America and China in the next couple of years. In addition there may be study abroad opportunities offered on a short term basis available to Law students, this year the Law School arranged a trip for second year Law students. The students visited the Lancaster University Ghana campus.

If you would like further information on the expansion of the scheme within the Law School please do not hesitate to contact them directly, Wendy Doggett ([email protected]) is the department administrator and would be happy to advise you further.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Hi, I was wondering if I was to get one grade lower than the required grades for my course on results day, how would you go about reviewing my individual application to decide whether I will be accepted on the course? Would you review my personal statement as well, or just my grades?
Original post by 1education
Hi, I was wondering if I was to get one grade lower than the required grades for my course on results day, how would you go about reviewing my individual application to decide whether I will be accepted on the course? Would you review my personal statement as well, or just my grades?

Hi,

Typically if a student has not met the stated entry criteria the application is reviewed as you mentioned. In the review process the admissions tutors will look at the grades you achieved, previous education history (GCSEs, Standard X, IB Middle Years programme etc), your personal statement, academic reference and finally any additional information added to the application. There is a very good chance of still obtaining the unconditional offer/place to study should you fall one grade below the agreed entry requirements, similarly it is possible should you drop two grades below but unfortunately we cannot at this stage give any guarantees.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi,

Typically if a student has not met the stated entry criteria the application is reviewed as you mentioned. In the review process the admissions tutors will look at the grades you achieved, previous education history (GCSEs, Standard X, IB Middle Years programme etc), your personal statement, academic reference and finally any additional information added to the application. There is a very good chance of still obtaining the unconditional offer/place to study should you fall one grade below the agreed entry requirements, similarly it is possible should you drop two grades below but unfortunately we cannot at this stage give any guarantees.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University

Thanks, this was very useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
If I don't get the grades Lancaster has asked for, who should I contact to discuss whether or not you will still accept me? Will it be a general number or should I contact the department I've applied to (Computer Science)?
Original post by bathome
If I don't get the grades Lancaster has asked for, who should I contact to discuss whether or not you will still accept me? Will it be a general number or should I contact the department I've applied to (Computer Science)?

Hello,

If you obtain or exceed the grades required in your offer you will automatically be accepted, it is still possible that you will be accepted should you fall narrowly below the grades required. Any offer will be confirmed via UCAS Track.

Should you wish to discuss your application after having received your results you are welcome to contact the admissions teams, we advise in the first instance contacting the central admissions office. If you are an A-Level student we will advertise specific contact details for confirmation, adjustment and clearing; these details will be published on the Lancaster University website in early August. If you receive your results at an earlier point (BTEC or IB Diploma for example) we recommend that you email [email protected] or alternatively phone 01524 592028.

Lancaster University

Quick Reply

Latest