The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Original post by star100
Hello, I have firmed my unconditional offer for accounting finance and maths on UCAS just over a week ago. Hiwever, I haven't received any information from the university itself since. Is this normal? Also, do you know when people can start applying for accommodation?

Hello,

Yes, this is normal. As long as your firm acceptance is showing in your UCAS Track account this is all the confirmation you need.

The Colleges and Accommodation team will contact all offer holders in late May/early June to invite them to apply for a College and accommodation option. The invitation will be via email so it is important to keep your contact details up to date via UCAS, particularly if you have been using a school or college email address which may expire after your exams.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hello, I am planning on applying for Lancaster University for the 2017 entry. I was just wondering whether your university do interviews for BSc Accounting and Finance course? Thanks!
Original post by sammichiu
Hello, I am planning on applying for Lancaster University for the 2017 entry. I was just wondering whether your university do interviews for BSc Accounting and Finance course? Thanks!

Hello,

There are no plans for an interview to form part of the admissions process for 2017 entry to BSc Accounting and Finance.

Lancaster University
Could I get more information about the Flexible study programme?

1. Do you have to take it, or can you just choose to focus solely on your main degree and not take a minor?

2. How do you notify the university which minor you want to pick, and by when do we make to make such a decision?

3. Can you only pick 1 minor, or more?

4. Can you pick ANY course you want? I confirmed my place for Computer Science, would I be able to do something vastly different, for example, take English or History as my minors? Or do they have to be related to your major?

5. Do you still need to satisfy the minimum entry requirements for your minor?

Thank you.
Hi!

I was just wondering, is all of the Bowland Superior Ensuite accommodation in the tower, or is some elsewhere? I want to apply to be in the tower but may not if it is likely that I could end up in the main building.

Thank you
Original post by BlueWolf16
Could I get more information about the Flexible study programme?

1. Do you have to take it, or can you just choose to focus solely on your main degree and not take a minor?

2. How do you notify the university which minor you want to pick, and by when do we make to make such a decision?

3. Can you only pick 1 minor, or more?

4. Can you pick ANY course you want? I confirmed my place for Computer Science, would I be able to do something vastly different, for example, take English or History as my minors? Or do they have to be related to your major?

5. Do you still need to satisfy the minimum entry requirements for your minor?

Thank you.

Hello,

1. Due to the nature of certain major subjects it means that it is not possible to take any minor subjects, however for the majority of courses you would be required to take either 1 or 2 minor courses. For Computer Science you have the option to focus solely within the department of Computing and Communications (SCC) or choose a subject outside of the department.

2. You will finalise your minor subjects once your begin your studies at Lancaster, typically during Welcome Week. It is sometimes to possible to alter your choices up until the third week of term.

3. As a Computer Science major you have the opportunity to take all your first year courses within the SCC, or, alternatively to take one minor subject outside of the SCC.

4. Popular minor courses for Computer Science majors outside of the SCC are Entrepreneurship, a Modern Foreign Language and Mathematics, but you should have a completely free choice. Other major departments may prescribe certain preferred subjects.

5. Some minor courses may have specific entry requirements. Mathematics for example would require you to have achieved grade A in Mathematics at A Level or equivalent standard. Some minor courses will have no specific entry criteria.

I hope this information helps.

Lancaster University
Original post by Freyjaeve
Hi!

I was just wondering, is all of the Bowland Superior Ensuite accommodation in the tower, or is some elsewhere? I want to apply to be in the tower but may not if it is likely that I could end up in the main building.

Thank you

Hello,

All Bowland College based Superior Ensuite rooms are housed within Bowland Tower, however there are a number of other Standard Ensuite rooms available in other areas of the College.

Some College based accommodation options may be more popular than others so it is unfortunately generally not possible to guarantee an applicant's first choice College and accommodation option.

Lancaster University
Reply 1027
I will be following an MA in Creative Writing starting October 2016. Could you kindly let me know the average age of the students taking up this course?
Original post by GL2016
I will be following an MA in Creative Writing starting October 2016. Could you kindly let me know the average age of the students taking up this course?

Hello,

We have passed your query on to the Student Registry team, as soon as we hear from them we will update you.

Lancaster University
Original post by GL2016

Hello,

The Student Registry team have confirmed that the average age of applicants enrolled for 2016 entry for the MA Creative Writing (Distance Learning) is 41.

Lancaster University
Hello,
I have an unconditional offer to study Politics and Economics come October - I was wondering, when are we notified about applying for accomodation? And should I start looking now?
Thanks for your help.
Original post by connoraxi
Hello,
I have an unconditional offer to study Politics and Economics come October - I was wondering, when are we notified about applying for accomodation? And should I start looking now?
Thanks for your help.

Hello,

You will be invited to apply for your College and accommodation options in early June. The invite will be via email, do make sure you have access to the email account you listed via UCAS. If you have used a school/college email account check when your access to the account will be terminated, if this is early on in the summer we recommend changing to a personal email account to which you will have continuing access.

You can certainly start researching your options now, each College is based in a different area on campus and all accommodation is based within a College.

Lancaster University
Original post by Lancaster University
Hello,

You will be invited to apply for your College and accommodation options in early June. The invite will be via email, do make sure you have access to the email account you listed via UCAS. If you have used a school/college email account check when your access to the account will be terminated, if this is early on in the summer we recommend changing to a personal email account to which you will have continuing access.

You can certainly start researching your options now, each College is based in a different area on campus and all accommodation is based within a College.

Lancaster University

Thanks!
Reply 1033
Hello,

I am currently in the process of preparing an application for MA: Creative Writing (Distance Learning) and there are two questions I'd like to ask so that I don't make an error in what are probably the most important sections of the application.

Apologies in advance if the answers to either question were available elsewhere but I have had a long look before asking.

1. Referees: When it comes to academic references, I didn't really strike up any relationships with my University tutors. This is partly because I was caring for a parent througout my degree and effectively had to distance learn it. In truth, it was 4 years ago now and I can't remember the names of any of them. What I do have, however, is an ongoing acquaintance with a teacher from school, and another from college, who can both attest to my current academic abilities by virtue of this continued relationship. Is a reference from either of these individual considered acceptable, given that my degree will already be proven by way of the certificate? I intend for my second referee to be my current employer. I'm also happy to repeat the reasons for these referees in my personal statement / covering letter if this helps.

2. Portfolio. I want to draft something original to serve as my portfolio. Given that I am primary a long fiction writer, I presume that this is best as an excerpt from a proposed novel? Is there a standard minimum / maximum word count for this?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,
Do you know what the clearing grades will be for geography? (2016 Entry), if not, what were the past grade requirements? Thanks
Original post by lag501
Hello,

I am currently in the process of preparing an application for MA: Creative Writing (Distance Learning) and there are two questions I'd like to ask so that I don't make an error in what are probably the most important sections of the application.

Apologies in advance if the answers to either question were available elsewhere but I have had a long look before asking.

1. Referees: When it comes to academic references, I didn't really strike up any relationships with my University tutors. This is partly because I was caring for a parent througout my degree and effectively had to distance learn it. In truth, it was 4 years ago now and I can't remember the names of any of them. What I do have, however, is an ongoing acquaintance with a teacher from school, and another from college, who can both attest to my current academic abilities by virtue of this continued relationship. Is a reference from either of these individual considered acceptable, given that my degree will already be proven by way of the certificate? I intend for my second referee to be my current employer. I'm also happy to repeat the reasons for these referees in my personal statement / covering letter if this helps.

2. Portfolio. I want to draft something original to serve as my portfolio. Given that I am primary a long fiction writer, I presume that this is best as an excerpt from a proposed novel? Is there a standard minimum / maximum word count for this?

Thanks.

Hello,

I believe that the Faculty Admissions Team would be best able to give you helpful and in depth answers to your questions, as a result I recommend that you contact them directly. You can reach them via [email protected].

Lancaster University
Original post by Seraphicc
Hello,
Do you know what the clearing grades will be for geography? (2016 Entry), if not, what were the past grade requirements? Thanks

Hello,

Typically, Adjustment and Clearing course availability and the associated grades are not set until mid August, at this point they will be published on the Adjustment and Clearing webpages.

For 2015 entry a number of Geography courses were available via Adjustment and Clearing. Grades ranging between ABB to BBB (depending on the exact course) including Geography or a cognate subject were required.

Lancaster University
Hello,

I am oversea student from Hong Kong, who has recently graduated from a EF foundation course and recieved an conditional offer fron Lancaster. On 24th May, I have sent all the documents, ie the passport, tier 4 visa, ielts results and results in EF, however, up till now, despite i have fufilled all the requirements i recieved no confirmations whatsoever from the school, which makes me wonder how long it would take for me to recieve further notice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonahyeung
Hello,

I am oversea student from Hong Kong, who has recently graduated from a EF foundation course and recieved an conditional offer fron Lancaster. On 24th May, I have sent all the documents, ie the passport, tier 4 visa, ielts results and results in EF, however, up till now, despite i have fufilled all the requirements i recieved no confirmations whatsoever from the school, which makes me wonder how long it would take for me to recieve further notice.

Hello,

You should receive confirmation that your application has been received, this would be sent via email to the email address you listed via UCAS. We aim to make decision on all applications within 10-15 days of receiving the application. Should any further information be required, you will be contacted directly. Do check UCAS Track in the coming days for confirmation of any decision.

Lancaster University
Hi,

Your website says that for Philosophy;

"Offers normally include General Studies if it is taken as a fourth A level"
What does this mean? Will an offer specify four grades, including General Studies?

Quick Reply