The Student Room Group

Concentrations of hydrochloric acid?

Hi I'm planning an investigation about the effect of concentration on the rate of reaction. What are the lowest and the highest concentrations of hydrochloric acid generally used in school labs?
Thanks xx
Reply 1
No limit to the lowest possible concentration, water is one of these things that are still considered safe in the school lab, so you can dilute as much as you want. I am not sure if there are any regulations to the highest possible concentration, but I would not aim over 0.1 M. Not because higher concentrations are starting to be dangerous, more like in more concentrated solutions ionic strength starts to play an important role, and observed dependence between concentration and reaction rate can be difficult to explain without delving into theories that are way over many undergraduate heads.
Reply 2
Original post by majmuh24
I used 2M HCl the other day and my teacher said that that was the max for GCSE, but he said it can go up to either 5/10 M (can't remember which one, probably 5) for the highest.

Perhaps he meant the highest possible concentration of HCl at standard pressure is around 10 M (well, perhaps a little bit higher than 11 M). It has nothing to do with school labs, it just that HCl (gas) is too volatile.
Reply 3
I'd use 0.1 M through to 1M and then work out the percentage of distilled water to add to the 1M hydrochloric acid to make the concentrations 0.2M 0.3M ect inbetween, we did an experiment like this not long ago:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest