The Student Room Group

A level choices for Medicine

Hey, I've chosen to do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths for A levels. I was wondering if these subjects will be alright for medicine, or are many on the medical universities looking for variety? (which I will obviously lack). So, are medical unis nowadays preferring a applicant with variety, or will they not mind if I do these subjects, as long as I get good grades?

p.s I know that these 4 subjects in combination will give me 4 years of living hell :tongue: but I'm up for it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should be fine but I may have been better to do a more essayish subject instead of physics such as philosophy and ethics or history.
Reply 2
Those are very good A-level choices for Medicine.
When looking at the requirements it seems they want Chemistry & another science (which you have) and they like you to have either maths or physics (which you also have).
So, seems pretty good to me. :bigsmile::bigsmile:
It'll be fine, but terribly hard work! I agree with the other poster it might be better to have a broader essay based subject because medical school involves a tonne of essay writing! Also possibly a subject you find relatively easy/gives you a bit of a break from sciencey subjects :smile: also some medical schools tend to favour candidates with a broad range of a levels because it shows you're a bit of an all rounder. Maybe consider something like art, history, geography, psychology or English :smile:

Good luck !!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Look at the universities' requirements, they tell you what they want. It really is as simple as that. eg. UCL have said that they prefer a variety, but then again plenty of their students have done the classic 3 sciences, maths combo.

Read the prospectuses! It's all there.
Reply 5
I think you'll be fine, speaking as a medical applicant of course, but one thing I think you should be aware is that even one essay subject is a lot of work. I'm taking history and it does cut into a lot of time, and I do find I spend a lot more time with history than I do with my other subjects (Bio,chem, and maths) but that may be just me. In terms of universities, they don't mind either way (as long as you have bio and chem :P)

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by asiangcse
Hey, I've chosen to do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths for A levels. I was wondering if these subjects will be alright for medicine, or are many on the medical universities looking for variety? (which I will obviously lack). So, are medical unis nowadays preferring a applicant with variety, or will they not mind if I do these subjects, as long as I get good grades?

p.s I know that these 4 subjects in combination will give me 4 years of living hell :tongue: but I'm up for it.

If it helps, I do those subjects. The only university I could not apply to was UCL who 'preferred' a contrasting subject :smile: I have three interviews so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks you everyone for your answers, it really is appreciated :smile: I think in the end I am going to stick with the 3 sciences and maths :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks you everyone for your answers, it really is appreciated :smile: I think in the end I am going to stick with the 3 sciences and maths :smile:

It's not actually as hard as I thought it would be either :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hey, I wanna do medicine as well. My A levels are Bio Chem Maths and Spanish. Yeah ur choices are fine, but u will have tons of work to do! How are you in regards to work experience and ECs?
To be honest, it really doesn't matter what A Levels you choose to do outside of Chemistry and Biology. For some universities, they also require Biology at A Level. I have applied to Kings, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool for Medicine, and I have taken Biology, Chemistry and Maths as my A levels with Economics as my AS. I have so far got interviews at Kings and Manchester but not heard back from Leeds and Liverpool yet!!
Reply 11
Original post by MissC123
Hey, I wanna do medicine as well. My A levels are Bio Chem Maths and Spanish. Yeah ur choices are fine, but u will have tons of work to do! How are you in regards to work experience and ECs?

Hey, well good luck with your journey to get into med school :smile: I haven't done any work experience yet, but as both my parents are doctors, It's relatively easier for me to get work experience in a hospital, I'll probably do some after my exams as I am sure work experience is highly important when applying to do medicine. And I would like to think of myself as a well-rounded student, so I do play plenty of sports and play for clubs/counties etc...
Reply 12
Original post by KingKumar
You should be fine but I may have been better to do a more essayish subject instead of physics such as philosophy and ethics or history.

Yeah, I've put History as a reserve in case for some reason I can't do all 4 of my choices. I was just wondering why you said instead of physics? Is maths regarded higher than physics when trying to get into med school?
Reply 13
Yeah, I've put History as a reserve in case for some reason I can't do all 4 of my choices. I was just wondering why you said instead of physics? Is maths regarded higher than physics when trying to get into med school?

Physics (I think) is combination of logic and understanding(of concepts). To a recruiter: Maths shows you have logic, Chemistry shows your understanding ability, Biology shows an interest in medicine and the ability to retain information and an essay subject shows that you can form arguments and apply information. Physics isn't really needed and there's not enough room for it anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by KingKumar
Physics (I think) is combination of logic and understanding(of concepts). To a recruiter: Maths shows you have logic, Chemistry shows your understanding ability, Biology shows an interest in medicine and the ability to retain information and an essay subject shows that you can form arguments and apply information. Physics isn't really needed and there's not enough room for it anyway.

Do you study medicine?
Reply 15
Original post by Jooooshy
Do you study medicine?

No. :colondollar: So I probably shouldn't try and give advice on it. My dad is a pretty good doctor though and knows a lot about the system. Also, there was a small time when I was thinking about studying it so I researched the appropriate A-Levels and such. I decided that the perfect combination would be Chemistry and Biology (Chemistry is compulsory and Bio is a no-brainer), and Maths (if your good at it) and an essay subject. I think the best essay subject would be Philosophy and Ethics because the ethics part is important in the practice of medicine.
Reply 16
They're bang on mate - Chemistry is the only real "requirement" but all 4 of those are rigorous, scientific subjects which lend themselves to studying medicine.

Don't forget to focus on your wider development though - try some volunteer work in local hospitals, speak to patients and staff while you're there - see if it's actually what you want to do (medicine isn't just about the degree - it's very much a life long vocation!). Moreover, the time spent doing this will make you better equipped to deal with the interviews as you will have some real experience to talk about.

Good luck, and hope to see you on the wards some day :smile:

I think that is an awesome selection for medicine. Though it may not seem like so at first, medicine involves quite a bit of physics in some areas.
If you want to broaden the range, you may want to consider picking up an additional subject, though not necessary.
Original post by OzWelsh

Don't forget to focus on your wider development though - try some volunteer work in local hospitals, speak to patients and staff while you're there - see if it's actually what you want to do (medicine isn't just about the degree - it's very much a life long vocation!).

Good luck, and hope to see you on the wards some day :smile:

yeah, this is really important.

Those subjects are absolutely fine for medicine. :smile:

I think as long as you meet the "subject requirements", then it doesn't really make much difference what specific subjects you pick.

Quick Reply

Latest