The Student Room Group

I have too much anxiety. What do I do?! :(

Hi! I'm 20 and my anxiety problems started when I was in sixth form/college (I was 17). I was always scared about a slightly stricter teacher. He was alright, but I just always worried that my work wasn't up to standard. Before leaving the house to get the bus, I always constantly ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to be sick. I'd heave and basically spit out water. After deep breaths and forcing myself to the bus stop and forcing myself on the bus, I felt better.

In one of his lessons a few months later, someone was chatting to me about the work. The teacher thought I was talking socially and I got told off. I had a weird light headed feeling which went away after the lesson ended. I then started having a lot of light headedness. This went on until I finished the course.

3 years on, I've finished a foundation University course and because I'm constantly worrying about what to do job-wise (I have a part-time job but need a full one), I now seem to be feeling constantly light headed. I had it on this course too as I was worrying about the work.

At work the other day (I work in a food department of a store), by accident in the warehouse, I knocked over a stack of stock. Only one item was damaged when people damage things everyday. It was my 2nd ever time and worth about £2. I put the stack of trays back together but before I did, I just felt really panickly, even more light headed, my heart was racing and I felt my hands shaking.

The only time I have recently felt alright is in September of this year when I went on a cruise abroad. It was warm, nice weather, I was relaxed on the beach, and there was only a little light headedness there (I was worrying about travelling home by plane - I hear lots of stuff in tv programmes and the news about plane crashes etc :frown: ).

But lately, there's been some "noise" in my eyes - bit like if you film a video on your phone at night and there's a little fuzziness. My eyesight is still as excellent as it's always been (I can easily see bus number displays from like 25 yards/20 metres away) but the only other time it has been really bad and fuzzy is when i've got an aura migraine - the only time i've had them in the past is when i've panicked about something. I had an aura migraine the day before an interview because of me over-panicking.

I really shouldn't be worrying so much, but now i'm worrying it could be something else. If I get light headedness and a little fuzz in my eyes, it wouldn't be a brain tumour would it? If i've been feeling light headed for 3 years, do you think i'd have been much more ill in 3 years if it was a brain tumour? I went to my Doctor about the light headedness and eyesight and he said it wouldn't be a tumour but I just feel really worried!

There was a teeny bit of light headedness on holiday but I felt much better. Also I was on the phone recently speaking to a careers advisor. It lasted 1hr 30 mins and I felt fine all the way through - probably because I was distracted away from my worries.

Could it be anything more than anxiety? and what can I do to get rid of all this worry?! It's driving me mad now. I can still concentrate fine but I just worry. I'm worried i'll pass out one day. My sister did on holiday when all this anxiety started and everyone was chatting about it and watching. I'm someone who wouldn't want people watching me if I was ill! I'd want to hide away!

thank you
After reading i found that you are full of negativity. So stop thinking negative and try to stay happy. Just be like others. Trust yourself, Love yourself and respect yourself. Find happiness and do what you like to do. Be positive.
Reply 2
It sounds like you have the level of anxiety where you'd do well to get some proper support to over come it, regardless of whether or not there's something else going on.
Reply 3
i agree with what the above ^ says. however cliched it sounds believe in yourself, what you do, have conviction in everything you do.
its easy to say dont be afraid, dont be anxious, but if you start small, if you focus on trying to lessen your anxious thoughts step by step, eventually things will improve. it might take months, years, whatever, it depends on the person. but things will change, but you have to have the conviction to want change
Original post by 2scotty
Hi! I'm 20 and my anxiety problems started when I was in sixth form/college (I was 17). I was always scared about a slightly stricter teacher. He was alright, but I just always worried that my work wasn't up to standard. Before leaving the house to get the bus, I always constantly ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to be sick. I'd heave and basically spit out water. After deep breaths and forcing myself to the bus stop and forcing myself on the bus, I felt better.

In one of his lessons a few months later, someone was chatting to me about the work. The teacher thought I was talking socially and I got told off. I had a weird light headed feeling which went away after the lesson ended. I then started having a lot of light headedness. This went on until I finished the course.

3 years on, I've finished a foundation University course and because I'm constantly worrying about what to do job-wise (I have a part-time job but need a full one), I now seem to be feeling constantly light headed. I had it on this course too as I was worrying about the work.

At work the other day (I work in a food department of a store), by accident in the warehouse, I knocked over a stack of stock. Only one item was damaged when people damage things everyday. It was my 2nd ever time and worth about £2. I put the stack of trays back together but before I did, I just felt really panickly, even more light headed, my heart was racing and I felt my hands shaking.

The only time I have recently felt alright is in September of this year when I went on a cruise abroad. It was warm, nice weather, I was relaxed on the beach, and there was only a little light headedness there (I was worrying about travelling home by plane - I hear lots of stuff in tv programmes and the news about plane crashes etc :frown: ).

But lately, there's been some "noise" in my eyes - bit like if you film a video on your phone at night and there's a little fuzziness. My eyesight is still as excellent as it's always been (I can easily see bus number displays from like 25 yards/20 metres away) but the only other time it has been really bad and fuzzy is when i've got an aura migraine - the only time i've had them in the past is when i've panicked about something. I had an aura migraine the day before an interview because of me over-panicking.

I really shouldn't be worrying so much, but now i'm worrying it could be something else. If I get light headedness and a little fuzz in my eyes, it wouldn't be a brain tumour would it? If i've been feeling light headed for 3 years, do you think i'd have been much more ill in 3 years if it was a brain tumour? I went to my Doctor about the light headedness and eyesight and he said it wouldn't be a tumour but I just feel really worried!

There was a teeny bit of light headedness on holiday but I felt much better. Also I was on the phone recently speaking to a careers advisor. It lasted 1hr 30 mins and I felt fine all the way through - probably because I was distracted away from my worries.

Could it be anything more than anxiety? and what can I do to get rid of all this worry?! It's driving me mad now. I can still concentrate fine but I just worry. I'm worried i'll pass out one day. My sister did on holiday when all this anxiety started and everyone was chatting about it and watching. I'm someone who wouldn't want people watching me if I was ill! I'd want to hide away!

thank you

I have really bad anxiety, I get the same thing, bar the eye thing.
Anxiety alters the messages your head gives you, so you thinking you have a brain tumor enough will actually give you those symptoms, so just try and take your mind off it. If you are getting bad headaches and all that jazz then be a little concerned. Also if said tumor affected your eye sight, one pupil would most likely be the different size to the other as the tumor would be pressing on the nerve that controls its size.
Don't worry mate, you're fine, try and get CBT if it's that bad, or keep yourself busy, your anxiety seems mild compared to mine.
Seriously your alright, it's called hypochondria, people have it, there are way to get ride of it! :console:

Quick Reply

Latest