The Student Room Group

Can I pick what references I give to employer?

So i've been offered a graduate job offer subject to satisfactory references. They haven't asked me to supply references as of yet but I am sure they will soon. Can i pick what references I give them? My most recent employment was an internship but long story short it didn't go great and would rather provide a reference from an earlier employment. Would it be okay to choose my reference or will they ask for the most recent employer?

Thanks
Original post by MeanMachine
So i've been offered a graduate job offer subject to satisfactory references. They haven't asked me to supply references as of yet but I am sure they will soon. Can i pick what references I give them? My most recent employment was an internship but long story short it didn't go great and would rather provide a reference from an earlier employment. Would it be okay to choose my reference or will they ask for the most recent employer?

Thanks

You have to provide them with what they ask for, but very often, especially with entry level jobs, they don't ask for anyone specific as they presume any previous employer will be a weekend retail type job and not relevant. Most recent employer is commonly asked for, but usually it is left up to you to choose. You'll have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending