The Student Room Group

The British Empire

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JungleeBilli
India was invaded beforehand by the Greeks, Persians, Afghans, Mughals, the British.... like they say it was a jewel in the crown and it was too crippled to retaliate.

Indeed it was, but it was never taken over. Even at the height of Mughal power, there were independent Hindu/Buddhist/Jain/Sikh states.

India was not unified at the time. So if was easy for the empire to employ the divide and conquer techniques to control such a large part of the world.

I think Indian sub-continent history has been burnt to ashes after the Empire and that time period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by fs1
. They reaped the rewards of a growing, thriving business (such as the East India Company) and this was built on the labour of Indians, who were promised good wages and a job, but given appalling working and living conditions.

Yes, good ol' East India Company. I still believe GB went to trade with India and settlement of the Whites was an added flavour. :biggrin:
Reply 42
Yes, good ol' East India Company. I still believe GB went to trade with India and settlement of the Whites was an added flavour. :biggrin:

Why do you talk about it so playfully, when it resulted in dire living conditions for millions of Indians?

This is what I resent. Whether people say it or imply it, the value of a non-white's life us worth less than a white persons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Ggmu!
Why do you talk about it so playfully, when it resulted in dire living conditions for millions of Indians?

This is what I resent. Whether people say it or imply it, the value of a non-white's life us worth less than a white persons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you're reading too much into my use of words. The creation of the Empire was established to commence trade. Settling in India and colonising India was never part of the British agenda beforehand.

And I never discriminated nor did I say that white people are superior to Brown or Black people. Sigh..
Reply 44
Maybe you're reading too much into my use of words. The creation of the Empire was established to commence trade. Settling in India and colonising India was never part of the British agenda beforehand.

And I never discriminated nor did I say that white people are superior to Brown or Black people. Sigh..

So what? They still felt it was appropriate to go to other people's lands, splinter the people against each other and use that to take over. Not to mention the way Indians were treated and virtually robbed India of cotton which was a highly valuable crop. Millions died. But I suppose we got train tracks so that makes it all OK?

You didn't read the bit. Did you? I didn't say you said it, I said people. If you didn't say it, you implied it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Ggmu!
So what? They still felt it was appropriate to go to other people's lands, splinter the people against each other and use that to take over. Not to mention the way Indians were treated and virtually robbed India of cotton which was a highly valuable crop. Millions died. But I suppose we got train tracks so that makes it all OK?

You didn't read the bit. Did you? I didn't say you said it, I said people. If you didn't say it, you implied it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You having a go at me isn't going to make history reverse itself. What's done is done. GB is sorry for all her downfalls. I suppose we have to accept that and move on, even though it's easier said than done.

I implied nothing.
Reply 46
You having a go at me isn't going to make history reverse itself. What's done is done. GB is sorry for all her downfalls. I suppose we have to accept that and move on, even though it's easier said than done.

I implied nothing.

Did it look like I was trying to make history reverse itself? I'm not really smartest chap but I know that's not possible...

Well, no it hasn't. Not that I want it. I just dislike trivial attitudes to the suffering, pain, death and economic robbery.

Trivial attitudes to something serious implies otherwise. I dont trivialise death of entire societies for money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
people have a tendency to reduce events into simplistic and overly emotional narratives which suit their own particular biases.

like it or not, civilisation has been spread through empire and the british did more than anyone else spread the modern world with all of its technological advancements and personal freedoms -- mainly because britain was birth place of much of the modern world itself.

with the passage of time, the british empire and its contributions to civilisation will not be able to be denigrated and denied like they are now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jjj90
The notion of 'Empire' was a totally natural progression, it always had been. The only reason England takes all the stick is because we were by far the most successful, you never hear people harping on about the Dutch Empire do you?

Most people on this site are historically ignorant, petulant children, that don't care to look at things objectively. They demand that it was evil but can't site a single shred of evidence, they just say something pathetically vague like "yea, bt india!". Just morons. For me when I don't know something I read about it, if these morons that blindly put it down could do the same then maybe we could have a reasonable discussion on this site. But we can't. Fact and liberal bigotry go together like chalk and cheese.

And obviously a lot of the criticism comes from America. In their 200 year history they have more blood on their hands than we do in 2000. But the USA is the centre of the universe now so what they say goes.

Have you even read about the British Empire? You come across as quite snobbish on the topic but haven't even given an objective assessment of the ethical dimensions of the British Empire.

I mean it did perhaps have some positive influence because its technological power made all the old anti-imperialism obsolete and brought all serious anti-imperialists into the camp of secular modernism, but other than that, Britain's colonization of India was not borne of a heartfelt and enlightened desire to modernize the country and liberate women from the old patriarchy.

Winston Churchill in particular was a reactionary pig with the blood of millions on his hands.

See the Bengal Famine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7991820/Winston-Churchill-blamed-for-1m-deaths-in-India-famine.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by imtelling
people have a tendency to reduce events into simplistic and overly emotional narratives which suit their own particular biases.

like it or not, civilisation has been spread through empire and the british did more than anyone else spread the modern world with all of its technological advancements and personal freedoms -- mainly because britain was birth place of much of the modern world itself.

with the passage of time, the british empire and its contributions to civilisation will not be able to be denigrated and denied like they are now.

I don't see how contributions made by the British empire to the world are denigrated, denied, understated etc.

The unethical behaviour is the thing that it denied and understated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I just wanted to know your opinion, do you reckon it is fair that the UK is still to date lashed out at because she had an Empire?

For example, the Windrush, the 1960s; when people immigrated from Asian countries; the Indian sub-continent to be more specific, the latest entries to the UK and there are talks of Romanians and Bulgarians entering the country.

There are plenty of other countries that had an Empire in Europe, but they don't seem to receive the stick, but Britain always does..

Britain is held up on account of its empire because were achieved an unparalleled level of global dominance (the US has a similar level but indirectly though the CIA ect..), we did also commit plenty of atrocities.

Personally i accept what the empire did that was wrong, but also look at what good it it did and what unachieved potential it had. It's also worth noting that from about 1550-1850 the choice for Britain, France and Spain was essentially to expand or be conquered.

In terms of criticism mine is leveled primarily at the post-WW2 collapse of the empire for two reasons...

1) Bar Canada and Australia the empire was allowed to die in a very messy way which led to tyranny in places like Zimbabwe or genocide in places like Kenya. All in all, not our proudest moment.

2) There was (obviously a minority) a movement for evolution to an Imperial Federation, this would have ensured Britain's place as a major power for the next 100 years at least.

Original post by Ggmu!
I think it's half and half. Being an Indian, I can't help but sometimes focus on the atrocities committed and I also feel that the current divide & conquer politics of India with minorities was introduced by the British. Also found the pace at which partition took place was...interesting. India itself is still effected negatively by colonialism, but not in a way I could expect a non-Indian to understand. It has a lot to do with the Indian identity, and the rubbishing of Hinduism and Indian history by Indologists from the Empire. The British were more than happy to oblige Indians when there was nothing to gain on their end. However I am happy to see a united India (not happy to see Pakistan & Bangladesh, however) and democratic system (although I'd say India is NOT democracy at all in practice). The infrastructure built definitely has helped India HUGELY although I'd like to see it upgraded.

Too many people justify the deplorable acts of the Empire calling it 'natural progression' and that is sad.

Out of interest do you believe that India was better off after independence from from the Empire or would you have preferred to see an evolution to a more federal like structure with Indian representation (i.e. do you believe British control of non-economic issues like justice, defense and foreign policy would have been of greater benefit than those policies enacted by your own domestic governments).
Reply 51
Original post by Rakas21

Out of interest do you believe that India was better off after independence from from the Empire or would you have preferred to see an evolution to a more federal like structure with Indian representation (i.e. do you believe British control of non-economic issues like justice, defense and foreign policy would have been of greater benefit than those policies enacted by your own domestic governments).

I'm not too sure, but I'd say India was slightly better off. However my problem lies with the immense speed of independence and partition. Little effort was made to stop the rioting for Pakistan which meant that everybody caved in and accepted the existence of Pakistan. A poor line was drawn in such short time that cut through so many villages. Partition was a disaster.

I think independence should've been a slower process. Control should have been handed in slower. It would have been the morally responsible thing to do. I would've wanted British officials to be satisfied that the current rulers and policy makers would be beneficial for India, after they had made so much money from India and the backs of Indians.

I think India is slowly heading in the right direction now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the distate for the UK lingers from the Suez Canal crisis, and as that was a remnant from colonialism I'd be willing to accept the statement that Englands reputation in particular comes comes from the Empire.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I think the distate for the UK lingers from the Suez Canal crisis, and as that was a remnant from colonialism I'd be willing to accept the statement that Englands reputation in particular comes comes from the Empire.

That crisis was more about America being hypocritical. With haughty faces the American officials protested about "colonialism" at a time when America was spreading its influence more and more across continents.
Original post by Rational Thinker
That crisis was more about America being hypocritical. With haughty faces the American officials protested about "colonialism" at a time when America was spreading its influence more and more across continents.

Yet it was England and France who received the bad reputation from it. Whether in hindsight we want to note American hypocritical tendencies or not, at the time the newspapers throughout the world condemned the two former Imperial powers and they've been sullied forever more.
Yet it was England and France who received the bad reputation from it. Whether in hindsight we want to note American hypocritical tendencies or not, at the time the newspapers throughout the world condemned the two former Imperial powers and they've been sullied forever more.

It was a shame to be honest. Perhaps American involvement in Vietnam was a bit ironic then?
Original post by Rational Thinker
It was a shame to be honest. Perhaps American involvement in Vietnam was a bit ironic then?

It was pre American foreign policy recognising terms such as peak oil and them consuming more oil than they could produce. The American involvement in Vietnam was a complete political shambles, but there was enough fear of communism still around to justify it on a global scale. The Suez crisis was pre 'terrorism' so there was no similar media justification.

But yeah, we all know American foreign policy is pretty disgraceful. Their big businesses in some ways have created a modern slave trade.
It was pre American foreign policy recognising terms such as peak oil and them consuming more oil than they could produce. The American involvement in Vietnam was a complete political shambles, but there was enough fear of communism still around to justify it on a global scale. The Suez crisis was pre 'terrorism' so there was no similar media justification.

But yeah, we all know American foreign policy is pretty disgraceful. Their big businesses in some ways have created a modern slave trade.

I am no Jingoist but it is poignant to reflect on the comparison between how Britain gained the Suez Canal and its loss of the Canal.

Yes I agree.
Reply 58
Morality at the time was different (get over it people, prove an objective moral system lol..)

I simply see the British Empire as a product of European morals from the Age of Discovery to the 19th century.

That said, I think our Empire was not as bad as others. Never genocides in Namibia, King Leopold's Congo's, or genocide of the native Americans.
I am, and always have been, a firm supporter of the British Empire.

I'm also not ashamed to say proud chauvinist when it comes to British interests overseas. I live in the rather deluded hope that one day the British Empire will be restored. It would be in our interests to have a foothold in Africa again, particularly as the continent begins expanding it's trade to the Chinese. That's also why I think it was foolish of the UK to hand back Hong Kong several centuries after the Opium Wars - it was an ideal location for the organisation of Anglo-Chinese trade.. It's time we stopped being ashamed of British history and instead embrace it as a successful era in British politics and the pursuance of Anglophile interests across the world a something not evil, but arguably helpful in putting nations on the right track to democracy.

Besides, the UK became weak when it withdrew from the Empire's jewels quicker than you could say "United Nations".
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending