The Student Room Group

Has Christmas got better, worse or stayed the same as you got older?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MJ1012
Ergh, I would hate that, I hate to be watched while opening presents. :cry2:

The atmosphere is great though, maybe it's because we're a close family or something, but we happily sing in front of eachother and act like an entire house of fools 80% of the time.
Reply 41
It's not as good as it used to be. Part of that is that I live in a different country to my family now, so I don't get to see them over the holidays. On top of that, my decorations got wrecked a couple of years ago and there's always something else I need to buy, especially around Christmas, when I actually think about it. So, no family around and no decorations isn't the best recipe for feeling all Christmassy.

This year it's probably going to be my boyfriend and I, with his mom stopping by for a bit, as his family is all spread out over the country as well, and busy with their own stuff.

That said, I do still like Christmas. I've put my international Christmas cards in the mail, have one present for my boyfriend so far, and I'm thinking of what to cook for Christmas dinner. I feel lucky enough that I can do some stuff for it, as not everyone can! :smile:
Reply 42
Worse. Christmas is pretty much my only day off work so I'm pretty exhausted and just want to relax with helping out a bit. Problem is my mum is just recently became wheelchair bound and is still convinced she can do all the cooking for everyone. Last year she invited 16 people for dinner (plus promised 3 extra dishes to be sent to people who were working). She realised on Christmas eve she couldn't do it so I had to do it all.

This year shes cut it down it 9 so heres hoping its not as stressful. ( she wont let any one else do it and doesnt want to go out for it )
Reply 43
Sorry, couldn't resist sharing this :tongue: vader.jpg
obviously its not as exciting as it used to be but i still love it :smile:
Reply 45
The same I would say though gifts are more expensive.
Not as good as it was when I was younger, but I still love it.

I remember when I was younger, Christmas was a magical time and I couldn’t wait for it. Who else remembers the days to Christmas seeming to pass agonisingly slowly? I looked forward to Christmas and to opening an advent calendar every morning. On Christmas day I loved opening all my presents and after that felt a bit sad that it was all over for another year. Although I still had a lot of things to play with.

Today I still enjoy Christmas but for different reasons. It’s still nice to open a few things on Christmas day but not anywhere near what it was like when I was a child. And I seem to get more money than anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Late night shopping on a Thursday on a bitter clear December evening always helps me get into the spirit. As I've gotten older the thing I look most forward to is the Christmas dinner :lol:
Reply 48
I remember feeling sad when realising it wasn't the same anymore. But I can still remember how it felt, to wake up super early with my little sister and find our stockings all fat and full of presents. Nowadays I get more joy from finding great presents for friends and family and giving, which is good I suppose. Since I'm studying very far from home though Christmas is good because its an excuse to visit home, which I don't get to do often enough.
Reply 49
I wouldn't say that it's gotten worse, but it's obviously not quite as exciting. I still look forward to it, just for different reasons...like food, drink, and the odd gift that I might have asked for (not as exciting as getting a load of presents and not knowing what was in them, but it's still cool)

I have a 7 year old sister, so my Christmas mornings are still pretty much exactly the same as when I was 7 myself. Just when me and my other sister were getting to the ages where Christmas wasn't quite as exciting anymore, my younger sister came along. So now at the age of 21 my Christmas morning still begins outrageously early, with boxes, wrapping, and toys everywhere. And stupid amounts of time spent twisting those annoying little plastic twisty things that make getting toys out of boxes stupidly hard :tongue:

I'm at university abroad so I haven't seen any of my family since August, so i'm looking forward to Christmas for that also.
It's definitely not as magical as it was when I was younger, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's worse. This is my first Christmas since starting university so I'm really looking forward to spending a month back at home with my family, boyfriend and school friends who I don't see as much as I would like to :smile:
Definitely worse. Those days of waking up as a youngster and feeling extremely excited for what you're about to open were over quite a few years ago. It's just like another day. The excitement was obviously for the presents that I had wanted for months, but now I can afford to buy them at any time that I want to. It's a shame. I see my family all the time, so there's nothing really special about that.

Maybe if I ever have kids, watching them open their presents and being excited will probably bring that special feeling back. My dad has always said that watching your kids open their presents is one of the best feelings.
plummeted downwards when the elaborate web of lies R.E. santa claus was exposed.

then in recent years with the advent of alcohol and an actual understanding of some of the values christmas attempts to espouse it has got a bit better.

nowhere near the pre-santa revelation days though. good times.
The magic that comes with being a child is forever lost, I've learned you can never truly recapture that innocence. However, I do feel some genuine excitement for it, and a greater appreciation for the warmth of the season. Good food and drink, lovely decorations, (hopefully) some gentle snowfall and a few relaxed faces are what really gives me a content feeling.
(edited 10 years ago)
One of the things that disappoints me now is that I don't wake up and feel my stocking all heavy on the end of my bed! When I was a child, I put my stocking on my bed and when I woke up there would be crinkling of paper and my feet being trapped by presents- it was amazing! :smile: Now I'd just wake up if "Santa" came into my room at night, so my stocking goes downstairs- just not the same!

Also, I hate it when people stop some of the magic because you're not a child any more- last year I wanted to put a mince pie out for Santa, but my dad said "grow up, you're too old!" :frown: :smile:
Reply 55
I like the Christmas season, but once it gets to 6 pm the day (and Christmas) is basically over. Dinner has been eaten, presents have been opened, now it's just time before it gets to the hell hole that is known as January. It's such an anti climax on Boxing Day knowing that it's just a full year before this again :lol:
Much better

The magic of creating Christmas for my young children was fantastic - having set up some family traditions when they were young that we still use now they are in their teens and 20s I love Christmas still - and apparently so do they
Original post by mulberry1
One of the things that disappoints me now is that I don't wake up and feel my stocking all heavy on the end of my bed! When I was a child, I put my stocking on my bed and when I woke up there would be crinkling of paper and my feet being trapped by presents- it was amazing! :smile: Now I'd just wake up if "Santa" came into my room at night, so my stocking goes downstairs- just not the same!

Also, I hate it when people stop some of the magic because you're not a child any more- last year I wanted to put a mince pie out for Santa, but my dad said "grow up, you're too old!" :frown: :smile:

My kids are 19 and 26
Mince Pie for Santa - YES
Stockings - well my 26 yr old has arranged his work pattern to make sure he can be here to sleep Christmas Eve
It was much better when I was younger. I think it was more fun when you believe in Santa because of all of the hype of him bringing you lots of presents. It was hard to make a christmas list which was shorter than a page! It was so exciting getting up so early to open presents and opening the 'main' present that you'd wanted for ages. Also being allowed to stay up late was exciting.

Now though I struggle to make a christmas list. If I want something i'll buy it, and I don't really want people to spend lots of money on me. And I also don't like it when I open something that i'll never use because I feel ungrateful. Also staying up late isn't exciting any more :frown:

And also my family is tiny so there is only like 6 of us in the house. It's also full of stress and there are always arguments that spoilt it a bit.

To be honest, I enjoy the lead up to Christmas the most- seeing Christmas lights and songs, watching christmas programme and all that kinda stuff. The actual Christmas day isn't really that exciting, it's just like a glorified sunday roast.
When I was younger I used to look forward to Christmas for materialistic reasons, now I am looking forward to seeing family and going home, having a break from university :smile:
:santa3:

Quick Reply

Latest