The Student Room Group

Police Officer 'punches' student at University of London protest

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/dec/05/police-officer-punches-student-university-london-protest-video

Loving the Guardian's ''The whole picture'' right before the video which instantly starts with the Policeman punching a man in a hood.

Scroll to see replies

Disgusting when people are peacefully protesting against the privatisation of education. Apparently we can't even voice our opinions anymore
Reply 2
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Disgusting when people are peacefully protesting against the privatisation of education. Apparently we can't even voice our opinions anymore

Why does 'protesting peacefully' require you to cover your face?

Looked to me like the hoody swinged for him first. Still, the policeman should have been more professional and needs to learn how to fight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jordooooom

Because universities do things like take injunctions out on you and try to make you pay their court fees.

http://www.defendeducationbrum.org/press-release-students-at-birmingham-university-occupy-in-defiance-of-injunction/

Whenever I protest, I cover my face, regardless of what it is I am participating in, in order to make sure I am not discriminated against at a later point
Reply 4
I hate these sort of videos, you need to see the entire incident to make any meaningful comment on it
Reply 5

There is no way to assess that the student being punched was protesting peacefully. We should also find it quite suspicious that the "freelance photographer" chose to provide a video which has been edited to began exactly as the punch is being initiated by the officer. It would be nice to see what occurred prior to possibly provoke the officer or force him to defend himself. It is unlikely that eliminating that portion of the video was not intentional.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Because universities do things like take injunctions out on you and try to make you pay their court fees.

http://www.defendeducationbrum.org/press-release-students-at-birmingham-university-occupy-in-defiance-of-injunction/

Whenever I protest, I cover my face, regardless of what it is I am participating in, in order to make sure I am not discriminated against at a later point

Fair enough.
Original post by Jordooooom

Looked to me like the hoody swinged for him first. Still, the policeman should have been more professional and needs to learn how to fight.

The "Hoody" was not swinging at him. He quite clearly had his left hand in the air already with an open hand and was walking away.

The officer took a few steps steps towards him and then punched him.

Anyway, I do not know what transpired before this so I am not going to make assumptions
Original post by ckingalt
There is no way to assess that the student being punched was protesting peacefully. We should also find it quite suspicious that the "freelance photographer" chose to provide a video which has been edited to began exactly as the punch is being initiated by the officer. It would be nice to see what occurred prior to possibly provoke the officer or force him to defend himself. It is unlikely that eliminating that portion of the video was not intentional.

I'd like to see what happened first but it doesn't look like self defence to me
Reply 9

Yes, I also find it hard to believe that that was the genuine moment the guy started filming.
Also Lol'd at the bit at the start. "The Guardian, the whole picture"
Little tit probably deserved it.
Reply 11

As I said, I believe the preceding events were edited out intentionally. That makes me agree with Three Mile Spirit.

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Little tit probably deserved it.
As I said, I believe the preceding events were edited out intentionally. That makes me agree with Three Mile Spirit.

Unless he attacked the police man, which we have no evidence for, we should refrain from referring to those who want their universities to be open to all as "little tits"

Disgusting when a non peaceful protestor shoves a policeman.

I won't be loosing any sleep over it. Middle class kid going through a rebellious phase gets a slap for acting like a tw@t
Original post by MatureStudent36
Disgusting when a peaceful protestor shoves a policeman.

I won't be loosing any sleep over it. Middle class kid going through a rebellious phase gets a slap for acting like a tw@t

He didn't shove a police man.

Haha nice, stereotyping.
Reply 15
Unless he attacked the police man, which we have no evidence for, we should refrain from referring to those who want their universities to be open to all as "little tits"

I'm not convicting him in a court of law. I am making a calculated assumption that he was indeed being a "little tit" at the time. My calculated assumptions are usually accurate.
I'm not convicting him in a court of law. I am making a calculated assumption that he was indeed being a "little tit" at the time. My calculated assumptions are usually accurate.

Your calculated assumptions are not accurate.

See, I can make baseless claims too
Reply 17

Clearly that's irrelevant given it's an edited video. You cannot say you want to see what is happening first then pass judgment on what happened.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Disgusting when a non peaceful protestor shoves a policeman.

Here here!

Everyone needs a bloody good beating every now and then if you asks me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh thanks, I am flattered, but I already have someone. I am glad you were able to concede to my superior intellect though.

Editing my post just makes you look like a **** who can't argue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending