The Student Room Group

Police Officer 'punches' student at University of London protest

Scroll to see replies

Without knowing the full story it's not really appropriate to jump to conclusions in this circumstance.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I sometimes wonder why you hang around so much on TSR, given how many of us are 'middle class kids', it must be hard for you. :colone:

The vid isn't very clear and it is true that we can't see what happened before, but the police are supposed to know better than to just throw punches at people's faces. Seems like things were pretty out of control at the time.

This is against a background where universities are making all kinds of cuts and people are rightly angry about that and the police appear in some cases to be acting as agents of government policy, for example, paying students to spy on other students who are planning protest.

Check out some of the twitter feeds at various campuses where these demonstrations take place. None if them have popular support. The protestors are the usual suspects. White middle class kids doing social sciences. Normally wearing baggy wooly jumpers. Not only do they annoy surge majority of students, they annoy the people they claim to represent. Grown adults don't want Tarquin and Jocinta fighting their battles.

For all their criticisms, out police are some of the finest around. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to go around smacking some yahs.
Reply 62
I feel sorry for the police officer, they go through a lot of hassle day in and out, and he could potentially be jobless after that one little mistake.
Impossible to tell anything from that video, although it certainly looks like the Police Officer was provoked. Pretty unfair to cut out a tiny snippet of footage like that and broadcast it all over the internet, that Police Officer is going to be in a nasty position now.

I bet the majority of those kids who were protesting all turned up to University the year after. Funny how everyone's so keen to moan about how terrible the system is and what a scam the Government is pulling on young people but still manages to find their way to a University when the protesting is over. Pick your side and stick with it, don't just switch back and forth when it suits you. I appreciate it that it's really cool to hate authority and fight against the Government but come on now, get real kids.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Check out some of the twitter feeds at various campuses where these demonstrations take place. None if them have popular support. The protestors are the usual suspects. White middle class kids doing social sciences. Normally wearing baggy wooly jumpers. Not only do they annoy surge majority of students, they annoy the people they claim to represent. Grown adults don't want Tarquin and Jocinta fighting their battles.

For all their criticisms, out police are some of the finest around. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to go around smacking some yahs.

Since when did class, degree course, clothing or name affect one's right to protest?

If Tarquin, in his fairtrade, organic jumper wishes to protest about education, then he is just as entitled to do so (and his thoughts are just as valid) as anyone else. At least they are out there doing something about a subject they feel is important. Other people would just turn a blind eye and then spend their lives bleating on about it.

Why do you get so hung up on class and image?

Also - baggy clothing keeps the heat in better than tighter fits. So long as the wind does not get in under it, I'd suggest that Tarquin and Jocinta are dressing appropriately. Good on them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
I was accidentally caught up in this protest leaving my classes last night - I have to say, I was shocked by the conduct of the students...I personally felt intimidated and was glad the Police were there. The students were shouting and barricading a police van in, and just as I made it through they started shouting '**** the police' and chanting it. I get there is an entitlement to protest and voice concern about what is happening, but I don't think fellow students should feel intimidated walking around their own campus...

Just my two cents.
Original post by MatureStudent36

So someone being middle class means they can't have an opinion? Actually some of these protests do have support. Are you involved in any of them? Then shut up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
Since when did class, degree course, clothing or name affect one's right to protest?

If Tarquin, in his fairtrade, organic jumper wishes to protest about education, then he is just as entitled to do so (and his thoughts are just as valid) as anyone else. At least they are out there doing something about a subject they feel is important. Other people would just turn a blind eye and then spend their lives bleating on about it.

Also - baggy clothing keeps the heat in better than tighter fits. So long as the wind does not get in under it, I'd suggest that Tarquin and Jocinta are dressing appropriately. Good on them.

Agree
Original post by InnerTemple

White knight arrives. Ring the bells, sound the pipes, blow the trumpets! :horse:

Middle class pansies.
Reply 69
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
So someone being middle class means they can't have an opinion? Actually some of these protests do have support. Are you involved in any of them?Then shut up.

*tells person is entitled to an opinion*

*then tells them to shut up*

hypocrisy much??
So someone being middle class means they can't have an opinion? Actually some of these protests do have support. Are you involved in any of them? Then shut up.

Nobody supports them. All is quiet on the western front (Manchester).
Original post by the mezzil
Nobody supports them. All is quiet on the western front (Manchester).

There's quite a lot of support at brum
There's quite a lot of support here.

Rubbish. I know many people in Birmingham, and if **** was kicking off big time I'd be there. It is not. Middle class, as mature say.
Rubbish. I know many people in Birmingham, if **** was kicking off big time I'd be there. It is not. Middle class, as mature say.

There's a lot of support on campus.

Why is middle class an insult? More to the point why is it relevant?
Original post by Jordooooom
Looked to me like the hoody swinged for him first.

This. Probably some middle class scrote who just wanted to kick some bins over and got brave.

Glad he got a smack.
There's a lot of support on campus.

Why is middle class an insult? More to the point why is it relevant?

Just is. It insinuates that you (not you, you, I don't know your background) are sheltered, close minded and ignorant of opposing views. Typically likes to do volunteering due to white guilt or a sense that they are superior and "one must do something to help these poor working class cretins get there Btec" type of mind set.

Relevant because it is the only class represented in the protest. If you can't see the importance of that then you don't deserve to have the title "student".
Just is. It insinuates that you (not you to, I don't know your background) are sheltered, close minded and ignorant of opposing views. Typically likes to do volunteering due to white guilt or a sense that they are superior and "one must do something to help these poor working class cretins get there Btec" type of mind set.

Relevant because it is the only class represented in the protest. If you can't see the importance of that then you don't deserve to have the title "student".

No. It insinuates that someone's family are fortunate. The rest of that is stereotypical bull**** that doesn't deserve any respect whatsoever.
Original post by locrian37
Why should it? Well known fact that 99% of police officers are corrupt fatties that like to tase first, accuse people of calling them plebs and ask questions later.

No, it's not a well known fact at all, the police are not as bad as people make out and only act like pricks if you try to get smart with them.

It seems that people who think this about the police, are usually nerds who have actually had very little contact with them.
Lol, Guardian.
Original post by Lorypop
I was accidentally caught up in this protest leaving my classes last night - I have to say, I was shocked by the conduct of the students...I personally felt intimidated and was glad the Police were there. The students were shouting and barricading a police van in, and just as I made it through they started shouting '**** the police' and chanting it. I get there is an entitlement to protest and voice concern about what is happening, but I don't think fellow students should feel intimidated walking around their own campus...

Just my two cents.

du be du

Didn't want you to skip over a more relevant response from someone who actually passed through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending