The Student Room Group

Police Officer 'punches' student at University of London protest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Wilfred Little
No, it's not a well known fact at all, the police are not as bad as people make out and only act like pricks if you try to get smart with them.

It seems that people who think this about the police, are usually nerds who have actually had very little contact with them.

Hard not to get smart with police when the recruitment criteria is to come out of school with less GCSEs than fingers and be a good size for whacking kids for.

And yes, I've spoken and had enough experience with policemen to know they are exactly what the media and the victims say they are, authoratarian, brutal, and love to use excess force.
Original post by joey11223
Didn't want you to skip over a more relevant response from someone who actually passed through it.

I wasn't in that specific one but the intention is not to intimidate people.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No. It insinuates that someone's family are fortunate. The rest of that is stereotypical bull**** that doesn't deserve any respect whatsoever.

Stereotypes are based in truth. They don't just pop up out of nowhere.
So someone being middle class means they can't have an opinion? Actually some of these protests do have support. Are you involved in any of them? Then shut up.

Have an opinion, but Sony try and fight other people's battles.

There was a demo of white middle class kids at Birmingham last week. They were complaining about lack of ethnic minorities. Not an ethnic amongst them.

that's just crazy. A friend of mine studying there. Who happens to be black was very embarrassed by their there actions.

It tends to be the same faces and you can almost predict what topics they'll demonstrate against. They're so formulaic
(edited 10 years ago)
I wasn't in that specific one but the intention is not to intimidate people.

I was thinking more the "**** the police and surrounding a police van". I don't have the info to take any sides, but although it is unfortunate for those being peaceful, when you get the violent ones, anarchist types, and honestly they often fit this middle class type being banded around on here, who start lobbing stuff at police lines, they do have to act.

Take those commas...cos I couldn't be bothered to try and re-phrase that mess, haha.
Original post by the mezzil
Stereotypes are based in truth. They don't just pop up out of nowhere.

The words of a bigot.

Original post by MatureStudent36
Have an opinion, but Sony try and fight other people's battles.

There was a demo of white middle class kids at Birmingham l

It's not other people's battles. The protests are about education, the people protesting are students. That's a stupid point anyway - I don't agree with female vaginal mutilation, should I not protest against it because it doesn't affect me?
Original post by locrian37
Hard not to get smart with police

So you admit getting smart with them then.

when the recruitment criteria is to come out of school with less GCSEs than fingers and be a good size for whacking kids for.

This comment, you just seem to have an irrational hatred of the police. Some of them are dickheads, not all, and nowhere near 99% as you put it.

And yes, I've spoken and had enough experience with policemen to know they are exactly what the media and the victims say they are, authoratarian, brutal, and love to use excess force.

The only time I've had police abuse their powers is when I've acted a knob with them first. When I've sucked up to them and spoke to them properly they've been fine.

You're not going to get your head kicked in keeping yourself to yourself and answering 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir'.
I was thinking more the "**** the police and surrounding a police van". I don't have the info to take any sides, but although it is unfortunate for those being peaceful, when you get the violent ones, anarchist types, and honestly they often fit this middle class type being banded around on here, who start lobbing stuff at police lines, they do have to act.

Take those commas...cos I couldn't be bothered to try and re-phrase that mess, haha.

The reason for that though is the police were earlier violent to some peaceful protesters which has annoyed a lot of people
The words of a bigot.

It's not other people's battles. The protests are about education, the people protesting are students.

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

Where do you think stereotypes come from then? The ground? Fiction? Are they just conjured up by Prof Snape?
The reason for that though is the police were earlier violent to some peaceful protesters which has annoyed a lot of people

If you have the proof, and not exaggerated anecdotes, then fair enough.
Because universities do things like take injunctions out on you and try to make you pay their court fees.

http://www.defendeducationbrum.org/press-release-students-at-birmingham-university-occupy-in-defiance-of-injunction/

Whenever I protest, I cover my face, regardless of what it is I am participating in, in order to make sure I am not discriminated against at a later point

Why do you protest? Why not just go with the flow like us normal ones?
I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

Where do you think stereotypes come from then? The ground? Fiction? Are they just conjured up by Prof Snape?

I wasn't personally insulting you, just pointing out what you said was bigoted. Stereotypes come around from misinformation and misunderstanding.

If you have the proof, and not exaggerated anecdotes, then fair enough.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/05/students-protests-police-repression-university-of-london?CMP=twt_gu
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Why do you protest? Why not just go with the flow like us normal ones?

If I don't agree with something, I will protest

What an old battleaxe. :eek:
I wasn't personally insulting you, just pointing out what you said was bigoted. Stereotypes come around from misinformation and misunderstanding.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/05/students-protests-police-repression-university-of-london?CMP=twt_gu

We are getting there Tyrion! Yes! & Misunderstanding and misinformation comes from... go on...
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
What an old battleaxe. :eek:

What?
Reply 95
Original post by Wilfred Little
So you admit getting smart with them then.

This comment, you just seem to have an irrational hatred of the police. Some of them are dickheads, not all, and nowhere near 99% as you put it.

The only time I've had police abuse their powers is when I've acted a knob with them first. When I've sucked up to them and spoke to them properly they've been fine.

You're not going to get your head kicked in keeping yourself to yourself and answering 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir'.

1.) No, I implied that you just don't have to be smart to be smarter than your average PC Pleb, their belligerent "no bull**** or the nightstick comes out" attitude just shows how poor their social understanding is.

2.) 99% is some as well, I'd say most, but some can still mean 99% I suppose.

3.) Lol okay, so tell me, oh-protector-of-the-misunderstood-police-force, what exactly did Jean Charles de Menezes do to get shot in the head 4 times, the police lied when they worked out they got the wrong man by claiming he was "running" and carrying an "explosive device", well that turned out to be bull****, anyone get charged for manslaughter?

How about ian tomlinson? manslaughter? nope, why? because the police are protected by the IPCC to have private trials as a job perk of being the government's bouncers.

How about the "plebgate" scandal, bunch of liar policemen ganged up on a politician, a Tory no less, to give police the perfect excuse to go full retard, well orchestrated attempt to cause trouble, who got arrested for that? oh right, no-one, because the police protect their own.

I really could go on, Mark Duggan, etc etc but I see you're probably just blinded by the fact you probably have a relative who serves in the Force, in which case it's just beating a dead horse.

.....and you link me to the OP video, where we see nothing before this exact second...I see (though it does not excuse the force of the punch).
We are getting there Tyrion! Yes! & Misunderstanding and misinformation comes from... go on...

Misunderstanding comes from not bothering to get to know a group of people. It's like getting half the story and filling the rest in. So you see someone in a baggy jumper with a posh accent, and then stereotype all jumper wearing people as posh

A lot of the time "stereotypical" are the minority
.....and you link me to the OP video, where we see nothing before this exact second...I see (though it does not excuse the force of the punch).

Sorry, I thought it was to an article. A comment from someone who was there

"Hundreds of police descended on the occupation at around 8.30pm and broke into the occupation. We are still investigating what happened inside, but initial reports indicate that protesters were assaulted by both police and security: thrown to the ground, kicked and punched, and dragged to the ground by their hair. When supporters gathered outside to show support for the occupation, they were beaten back and assaulted. A number of arrests were made, and protesters are demonstrating tonight outside Holborn police station."
Misunderstanding comes from not bothering to get to know a group of people. It's like getting half the story and filling the rest in. So you see someone in a baggy jumper with a posh accent, and then stereotype all jumper wearing people as posh

A lot of the time "stereotypical" are the minority

Nooooooo!! Dammit Captain we lost her!

No seriously, you were almost there. Maybe next time eh?

I'm off the pub, good luck with your protesting young squire!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending