The Student Room Group

Can't decide between Surrey University and Sheffield University

Hey guys,

I've got all 5 conditional offers for Aerospace Engineering 2 of which are from Surrey and Sheffield. The problem is, I have no clue who to keep as my firm. They are both offering me AAB and both universities are really good. Before, I wanted to go to Sheffield as I was doubting my chances with Surrey, but now they've given me an offer (2 weeks ago actually), I can't decide between them! If students for Aerospace Engineering from Sheffield and Surrey can tell me the ups and downs then that would be great. Even if you aren't a student from the 2 unis, and even if you don't do this course, which one do you think is better?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Hi, I'm currently doing mechanical engineering at Sheffield and have done a couple aero modules too. Of course I don't have any experience of Surrey university but what I can tell you is that Sheffield is pretty awesome. The student union is fantastic and very up to date and the night life in town is even better. The lectures I can't really compare to other universities but you should have a look at http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Aeronautical%20%26%20Manufacturing%20Engineering to see that Sheffield is 5th best in the country, but I guess Surrey isn't too far behind...
If you do apply for Sheffield, definitely choose Endcliffe as your first year accommodation, it is undoubtedly the best way to have the best first year experience.
Reply 2
Original post by chris_olford
Hi, I'm currently doing mechanical engineering at Sheffield and have done a couple aero modules too. Of course I don't have any experience of Surrey university but what I can tell you is that Sheffield is pretty awesome. The student union is fantastic and very up to date and the night life in town is even better. The lectures I can't really compare to other universities but you should have a look at <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Aeronautical%20%26%20Manufacturing%20Engineering" target="_blank">http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Aeronautical%20%26%20Manufacturing%20Engineering</a> to see that Sheffield is 5th best in the country, but I guess Surrey isn't too far behind...
If you do apply for Sheffield, definitely choose Endcliffe as your first year accommodation, it is undoubtedly the best way to have the best first year experience.

Thanks a lot for that 'intel' mate! I am going to visit Sheffield for an applicant day and will hopefully see everything for myself and put Sheffield as my first choice! Oh and if you don't mind me asking, what year of university are you currently in right now and in your first year, what societies did you join?
Thanks mate!
No worries, sorry about the late reply, I'm not exactly a regular browser of the student room. I'm in my final year now (4th) as I went on the MEng course. Hmm in first year you should just join societies which appeal to you, of course you should join your course one (I guess it will be called AeroSoc). Personally I joined like intramural (which runs the interdepartmental sports) which I am still part of as the sports facilities in Sheff are pretty awesome. I think I also joined the Skiing society as they have a dry ski slope there but I fell a few too many times to warrant an ongoing effort. I also joined other things like cooking society but you should see for yourself; in Freshers week there is a freshers fair where all the societies set up little booths in the Octagon centre (Bigass building) to tempt you to join.
Reply 4
No worries, sorry about the late reply, I'm not exactly a regular browser of the student room. I'm in my final year now (4th) as I went on the MEng course. Hmm in first year you should just join societies which appeal to you, of course you should join your course one (I guess it will be called AeroSoc). Personally I joined like intramural (which runs the interdepartmental sports) which I am still part of as the sports facilities in Sheff are pretty awesome. I think I also joined the Skiing society as they have a dry ski slope there but I fell a few too many times to warrant an ongoing effort. I also joined other things like cooking society but you should see for yourself; in Freshers week there is a freshers fair where all the societies set up little booths in the Octagon centre (Bigass building) to tempt you to join.

I applied for BEng with a year in industry so is it possible for me switch to MEng with a year in industry?

That's awesome that you've joined the skiing society, I want to join the snowboarding club/society myself! Are you still a member of the skiing society or did you quit? And I think I am definitely placing Sheffield as my firm
choice with Leicester for my insurance (same course).
When I joined the university the first 2 years of my course were the same for both BEng and MEng degrees so depending on what you chose and how well you did through the years, the university would have given you the option of what you wanted to do (I actually only got the acceptance grades of a BEng course but since I did OK in the first 2 years I was allowed to do MEng). I don't know if it's similar for you but I would say it shouldn't be an issue to switch; but definitely stick with the year in industry, I had friends that went for that and they already have jobs lined up once they finish their degree; quite jealous. I would either phone up or email them if you are worried but during the first week I'm sure you'll get the option to change to a MEng since it is much more likely they will want you to stay at the university than leave and do a masters elsewhere.

Nah I quit the skiing in first year, I don't think I was very good and I had so much other things to do but yea you should deffo join up because like every year they go on a social abroad to like France or Germany or Czech for skiing/snowboarding for quite reasonable prices (and of course you'll be with other uni people) so it is well worth it.
Reply 6
When I joined the university the first 2 years of my course were the same for both BEng and MEng degrees so depending on what you chose and how well you did through the years, the university would have given you the option of what you wanted to do (I actually only got the acceptance grades of a BEng course but since I did OK in the first 2 years I was allowed to do MEng). I don't know if it's similar for you but I would say it shouldn't be an issue to switch; but definitely stick with the year in industry, I had friends that went for that and they already have jobs lined up once they finish their degree; quite jealous. I would either phone up or email them if you are worried but during the first week I'm sure you'll get the option to change to a MEng since it is much more likely they will want you to stay at the university than leave and do a masters elsewhere.

Nah I quit the skiing in first year, I don't think I was very good and I had so much other things to do but yea you should deffo join up because like every year they go on a social abroad to like France or Germany or Czech for skiing/snowboarding for quite reasonable prices (and of course you'll be with other uni people) so it is well worth it.

Ah that's great man, I hope that I can switch to MEng with the year in industry afterwards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending