The Student Room Group

The ULTIMATE thread for aspiring writers/bloggers!

Hai gaiiis.

I'm not sure if this already exists, but here it is. The thread for aspiring writers and bloggers, who want to talk about writing and blogging.

I started out by writing a few short stories (I didn't finish any of them and they were all rubbish) and this year, did some blogging on Planet Minecraft. Not sure it counts as professional blogging, but hey. Recently I've started up a self-hosted blog (TheSoggyOpinion.com) and have begun writing a novel. It's because professional writers I've e-mailed have refused to give me any advice about my ideas that I wanted to start this thread. Also, I'm studying history at university next year and I want to go on to do either journalism or law. Not sure yet. Keeping my options open. But I'll always want to do writing/blogging on the side.

That's my story. What's yours? Alternatively, feel free to discuss your work, share ideas, talk about writing techniques, etc.

Scroll to see replies

blogging is a marvellous hobby but notoriously difficult to monetize :dontknow:
Hi,

I've been writing film reviews since high school, so I've been at it for a good long while now. The great thing is that each year, I feel myself improve pretty dramatically, just in terms of the quality of my writing. It's been especially obvious as I covered the same local film festival three years in a row (I was accredited as an official journalist the first year, and just kind of kept doing it despite not actually getting the accreditation again), so I could go back and compare my writing with the previous festivals. I haven't been able to write super often, as I do have a full-time job that's been pretty demanding, but I'm quitting in a month to go back to school for Film Studies, so I'm looking forward to getting into writing much more (after all, even the homework will be reading and writing about film). I'm really hoping being able to write more regularly will help me take my writing to the next level - after all, a year of even sporadic writing does show results.
I've written for several sites, including a local news portal (lithuaniatribune.com), a click-baiting entertainment site (whatculture.com), and most recently, my own blog (filmstoned.com).
I'm also currently working on a script for a comic I've had kicking around in my head for a long while.
Original post by the bear

Very nicely summed up!
Reply 4
i love writing, i write a blog about geographical issues and astronomy and i love being able to research topics and write articles focus on topics that can be debated and argued. a blog is great too cause it helped me get my university offers!
my blog btw is called Astronomy, geography and more
Hello :smile: I've always wanted to dwell into Youtube/Blogging and just over a year ago I'd bit the bullet to pick up blogging properly and it's been an amazing journey so far :smile:

As for writing techniques etc. I don't think I have one.. I tend to write in a way that feels natural to me?

www.allthingsanita.co.uk

Difficult to monetize? Could you elaborate? I've been finding it quite straight forward so far..

www.allthingsanita.co.uk
Original post by Archengsculp
Difficult to monetize? Could you elaborate? I've been finding it quite straight forward so far..

www.allthingsanita.co.uk

spare us 50p for a cuppa guv
Reply 8
I enjoy blogging but I don't make enough time to post regularly. I write because I enjoy it. Subbed to the thread to read people's experiences.
spare us 50p for a cuppa guv

If you get into blogging purely for the ££ and "free" stuff then I'd highly suggest you to give up..
I'm thinking of starting a blog with my friend xP we've already made it... now we just need to do the actual writing :P
Hey all :smile:

I currently write a fashion and beauty blog called What Chichi Blogs - whatchichiblogs.blogspot.co.uk

I am so glad I decided to do it. It's a great hobby and a great way to build up my portfolio.

Also, I am hoping it will be a great way to get into a career in journalism/PR/media.
Hello :smile: I've always wanted to dwell into Youtube/Blogging and just over a year ago I'd bit the bullet to pick up blogging properly and it's been an amazing journey so far :smile:

As for writing techniques etc. I don't think I have one.. I tend to write in a way that feels natural to me?

www.allthingsanita.co.uk

Same here...I write in a way that is natural to me.

www.allthingsanita.co.uk

In terms of monetizing it, do you mean using Adsense for example?

I think making money from blogs is hard unless you have a lot of traffic. I have made very little as a result.

However, blogging shouldn't be all about the money. Blogging should ultimately be about showcasing your passion.
If you get into blogging purely for the ££ and "free" stuff then I'd highly suggest you to give up..

This.
I'm a fashion blogger and designer, I adore it, wish I could make it my full time career! ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second that! There's just no passion in people who do it just for the ££, shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethanychoo
I'm a fashion blogger and designer, I adore it, wish I could make it my full time career! ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! :smile:

What is the name of your blog? This is mine - whatchichiblogs.blogspot.co.uk
(edited 9 years ago)
I recently started a fashion and lifestyle blog called stylinmissdaisy.wordpress.com , I'm mostly going to do fashion as I'm really passionate about it but I've done other bits as well like where I've been on holiday and stuff like that. Recently I did one called 'Top 10 Linguist Probs' which people here who study (a) language(s) may like as I think you might find it quite relatable? I don't know but if anyone checked it out I'd really appreciate it. I have an Instagram for my account too @stylinmissdaisy . Does anyone think its worth making a twitter for my blog? I don't really know what I'd say, I prefer Instagram as I like posting pictures. In terms of writing style I just write however I feel, its whatever comes naturally.

Does anyone have any tips? :smile:
really love checking out everyones blog so far!!!

here is my kind of newly started blog; http://jelliehead.weebly.com any feedback (+/-) very welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending