The Student Room Group

Is this okay for a protien rich diet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Any recommendations of any snacks I can include to up it?

If you want up your protein intake, then maybe a shake. Just add other things in like peanut butter/fruit/milk if you miss a meal and you need some calories.

I would only advice this if you cannot get it from your diet in a proper meal with meat and etc.

The problem with protein bars is that they are quite expensive. You can get a lot more protein whey for the same price.
I'm a girl :tongue:

But yeah, I really struggle, I'm lactose intolerant which is why the only dairy I eat is two small yoghurts, any more makes me ill. Never heard of out shakes

I vary the fruit i eat and sometimes include parsnips for vegetables but mixed nuts sounds like a good idea to include :smile:

Haha sorry, my bad! Your weight is fine then!! Wow, I used to be ridiculously skinny!

Still, you should be aiming for around 2000 cals.

And again I can empathise, I'm lactose intolerant too, plenty of alternatives to cow's milk though!
Reply 22

But yeah, I really struggle, I'm lactose intolerant which is why the only dairy I eat is two small yoghurts, any more makes me ill. Never heard of out shakes

I vary the fruit i eat and sometimes include parsnips for vegetables but mixed nuts sounds like a good idea to include :smile:

Nuts for sure.
Original post by DorianGrayism
If you want up your protein intake, then maybe a shake. Just add other things in like peanut butter/fruit/milk if you miss a meal and you need some calories.

I would only advice this if you cannot get it from your diet in a proper meal with meat and etc.

The problem with protein bars is that they are quite expensive. You can get a lot more protein whey for the same price.

Yeah I have some whey that I want to add to some juice. I tried adding it into a yoghurt and it turned into a horrible pile of gooey stuff that looked like vomit

Original post by TheBhramaBull
Haha sorry, my bad! Your weight is fine then!! Wow, I used to be ridiculously skinny!

Still, you should be aiming for around 2000 cals.

And again I can empathise, I'm lactose intolerant too, plenty of alternatives to cow's milk though!

Yeah I'm luckily a normal weight even though I eat sporadically. Yeah you were! I've never tried any alternatives I've just avoided it, might look into it though

Original post by tehforum
Nuts for sure.

Any specific ones?
Yeah I have some whey that I want to add to some juice. I tried adding it into a yoghurt and it turned into a horrible pile of gooey stuff that looked like vomit

Haha……That sounds horrrrrrrrible.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Haha……That sounds horrrrrrrrible.

It was, put me off them for ages :eek4:

The protein shakes may work well with rice milk, etc?
Original post by OU Student
The protein shakes may work well with rice milk, etc?

I haven't tried that but I might
Greek yoghurt and whey is amazing. Tastes awesome, providing you have nice whey. It takes FOREVER to mix up though. If you mix it properly, it just becomes high protein yoghurt and is yummy.
No way small inactive females need 2k calories a day for whoever said that...that being said 1k is too low also...
Reply 30
[x] 50g protein a day
[ ] Protein rich
OP what do you not eat, I think I recall you saying you don't eat meat or eggs much. That makes it v. difficult if you're lactose intolerant as well. Tbh I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but I'd look at increasing meat/egg intake even if you don't like them.

I see you eat salmon, tinned mackerel is v. cheap, tasty and high in calories, protein and good fats. Same w/ sardines & pilchards but they are not as tasty.

Re: anxiety & appetite, I had the same problem as you & was underweight & I would just say eat through the pain barrier no matter how hard you find it. Even if it's just a mouthful. Then try to increase that gradually. You will get to a point where you will feel hungry every few hours anyway and it will come naturally to you.

I don't know if you drink or smoke but if so, stop. & I don't know if there's any science behind it but green tea seems to increase my appetite.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest