The Student Room Group

Multiple arrests as hundreds of student protesters clash with police in central Londo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dr Pesto
I've been gearing up for that all week

Well, don't cause any trouble.
So the police go arresting students on the day that most people are thinking about the death of Nelson Mandela. So it gets little press and media coverage.
Original post by the mezzil
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/multiple-arrests-as-hundreds-of-student-protesters-clash-with-police-in-central-london-8988442.html

The students intentions were not to hold a peaceful protest. The police did a bloody good job!

ULU president Michael Chessum told the Independent: “The atmosphere has been angry, it’s been vibrant.

It will be interesting to see what level of support ULU has from its constituent members. It's currently having a referendum on whether it should continue as a student run thing rather than the services being handled by the university. It is one of the most politically aggressive student unions and one you hear about whenever there's a demonstration. Though having said that there are no real victors according to that report.

The problem other people on this thread are having is understanding how you can make the statement below presented as fact when there is no evidence for it from the report unless you had witnessed it yourself.

"The students intentions were not to hold a peaceful protest. The police did a bloody good job!"
the police are scum, the protesters had every right to protest about things to begin with before the arrests were made, they then had every right to protest against the arrests, the police cared only about getting the rocks off by beating up kids, which is typical for the met, they are nothing more than scum.

up the students I say.
Reply 24
Original post by Extremotroph
You won't argue because you can't even comprehend what I'm saying.

Cool, good for me?

Like i care about what some kid of the internet says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by barnetlad
So the police go arresting students on the day that most people are thinking about the death of Nelson Mandela. So it gets little press and media coverage.

Yes, mandelas death is actually a conspiracy by Scotland yard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, good for me?

Like i care about what some kid of the internet says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, your intellect is limited to the sheep-mind but to each his own.
Original post by Fizzel
Chessum is a snake, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

That said, the police being too heavy handed at protests is become a bit of theme tbh.

They get criticised for being too soft in riots. They've basically learnt now that the best way to deal with it is to go in hard and nip any problems in the bud before it gets out of control.

We are after all looking at a group of middle class rich kids who would run a mile.
Original post by SciFiRory
the police are scum, the protesters had every right to protest about things to begin with before the arrests were made, they then had every right to protest against the arrests, the police cared only about getting the rocks off by beating up kids, which is typical for the met, they are nothing more than scum.

up the students I say.

People have the right to protest. But there's rules to protesting. Stick to the rules and you'll be fine. Treat protesting as a chaotic free for all and you'll get arrested.

Never mind though. For all of you out there worried about finding a job after you graduate. Natural selection has removed a little bit of the competition for you.
Original post by MatureStudent36
They get criticised for being too soft in riots. They've basically learnt now that the best way to deal with it is to go in hard and nip any problems in the bud before it gets out of control.
Tbh, that isn't a progression that is how they handle things in most dictatorships. The issue seems to be the Met police don't seem to be able to deal with protest about anything without it turning violent. Managing the situation is supposed to be their job, and a simple escalation of violence suggests they only know one method of doing that.

We are after all looking at a group of middle class rich kids who would run a mile.
I'm actually alma mater of UoL, neither of those two classes applied to me or most of my class mates, and quite frankly if that is the case it compound their failure to control the situation.
Reply 30
Original post by Extremotroph
Not really, your intellect is limited to the sheep-mind but to each his own.

Very clever.
Reply 31

up the students I say.

Let's just hope you'll never need assistance from the "scum" then.
Original post by Fizzel
Tbh, that isn't a progression that is how they handle things in most dictatorships. The issue seems to be the Met police don't seem to be able to deal with protest about anything without it turning violent. Managing the situation is supposed to be their job, and a simple escalation of violence suggests they only know one method of doing that.

I'm actually alma mater of UoL, neither of those two classes applied to me or most of my class mates, and quite frankly if that is the case it compound their failure to control the situation.

The met police are actually one of the more experienced and capable police forces at dealing with this type of stuff. Demonstrations can get quickly out of hand and there's elements that always infiltrate these demos to cause trouble. The Met has learnt the hard way that demos, when going past what they have already agreed can turn nasty very quickly.

We've seen cities in flames, wild scale looking, horrific injuries and cases of murder in soft touch demos in the last few years.

The public want harsh policing at demos and that's what the public want.

If you want to demonstrate that's fine. That is your right. Register your demo with the police, follow their guidelines and follow their instructions on the day. Deciding that you're right to demonstrate means that you feel the need to ignore a lawful instruction from the police who are policing the demonstration as much for the safety of the demonstrators as for the general public, then don't get upset if you get kettled. But then again, being forced into a small area and held there for a period of time until the situation is calmer is a lot better than the alternatives on offer.
The met police are actually one of the more experienced and capable police forces at dealing with this type of stuff.
I'm not saying they are not, but I don't think the job they do is good enough, its simple as that.

Demonstrations can get quickly out of hand and there's elements that always infiltrate these demos to cause trouble. The Met has learnt the hard way that demos, when going past what they have already agreed can turn nasty very quickly.
Their main aim should be keeping a protest peaceful, which is something they have of late constantly failed to do. If your answer to controlling peaceful protest is escalation of violence against a crowd, you've failed utter at your job, it hasn't progressed since medieval times and quite frankly we could hire a bunch of untrained thugs to do that job.

We've seen cities in flames, wild scale looking, horrific injuries and cases of murder in soft touch demos in the last few years.
Mainly to do with the summer riots, which as I remember was triggered by Met police being heavy handed, and their subsequent failure to properly gauge the situation. Its wasn't about them not being heavy handed enough.

The public want harsh policing at demos and that's what the public want.
If that is what the public wanted the Met wouldn't constantly be in the news over violence at such events. Riot control and crowd control are two different things and should be handled as such.

If you want to demonstrate that's fine. That is your right. Register your demo with the police, follow their guidelines and follow their instructions on the day.
The police are there to control protest not to organise it. The vast majority of protesters at any event are perfectly law abiding and will follow guidelines in a non hostile atmosphere. You treat a peaceful crowd like a rioting one, you will get a riot.

Deciding that you're right to demonstrate means that you feel the need to ignore a lawful instruction from the police who are policing the demonstration as much for the safety of the demonstrators as for the general public, then don't get upset if you get kettled. But then again, being forced into a small area and held there for a period of time until the situation is calmer is a lot better than the alternatives on offer.
What about lawful protesters who are kettled along with everyone else, they cannot complain in your book? Kettling should be a last resort, and is pretty much an admission of failure as its mass containment. The Met should be focused on removing trouble makers and instigators from protest events and adopting a stance which is not overtly hostile and confrontational to the majority. The onus for peaceful protest cannot be on 100% of attendees to follow rules for protest to be allowed.
People have the right to protest. But there's rules to protesting. Stick to the rules and you'll be fine. Treat protesting as a chaotic free for all and you'll get arrested.

Never mind though. For all of you out there worried about finding a job after you graduate. Natural selection has removed a little bit of the competition for you.

what's the point in protesting if you follow the rules? it's counter intuitive ffs, it's like saying people who have a corrupt government should work within it to change it, cause that works so well in Africa and the Middle East right? :rolleyes: the whole point of protest is to CHALLENGE the rules, I know that doing that seems beyond your docile conformist little mind but hey.

natural selection? so police beating people and state corruption and agenda's is natural now? some people here really do talk a crock of ****.
what's the point in protesting if you follow the rules? it's counter intuitive ffs, it's like saying people who have a corrupt government should work within it to change it, cause that works so well in Africa and the Middle East right? :rolleyes: the whole point of protest is to CHALLENGE the rules, I know that doing that seems beyond your docile conformist little mind but hey.

natural selection? so police beating people and state corruption and agenda's is natural now? some people here really do talk a crock of ****.

State corruption?
Anyone else on here itching for some more riots?
Reply 37
Original post by BashmoreFan
Anyone else on here itching for some more riots?

Yeah, i love watching the police do their job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, i love watching the police do their job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where were they in Aug 2011?
Reply 39
Original post by BashmoreFan
Where were they in Aug 2011?

Joining in probably. Then on the second and the other nights they got bored and decided to start fights!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending