The Student Room Group

Self-teaching AS Further maths

I'm taking maths, economics and English language at AS. I really want to apply for Computer science at imperial, without Further Maths I don't think I stand a chance. I'm learning C1, C2 and D1 do you think it's possible to self teach D2, M1 and FP1 and achieve an A overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I can't judge D2 because I haven't taken it. I self-taught myself M1 and that was actually pretty easy. There are some concepts that I don't think were very clear in the book, but watching videos online completely sorted it. I've been taught FP1 (not self-taught) but again, I don't think it's going to be a massive problem. As long as you're good at maths and have the motivation to teach yourself, it should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I can't judge D2 because I haven't taken it. I self-taught myself M1 and that was actually pretty easy. There are some concepts that I don't think were very clear in the book, but watching videos online completely sorted it. I've been taught FP1 (not self-taught) but again, I don't think it's going to be a massive problem. As long as you're good at maths and have the motivation to teach yourself, it should be fine.

Hopefully, D2 and FP1 won't put me off from achieving an A. As much as I'm determined a lot of people scare me. If I can just get through this year. Next year will be so smooth for me..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of online resources and past papers as well as the text book. I am sure your teachers will be willing to help you if you get stuck on anything.

Original post by Shido
I'm taking maths, economics and English language at AS. I really want to apply for Computer science at imperial, without Further Maths I don't think I stand a chance. I'm learning C1, C2 and D1 do you think it's possible to self teach D2, M1 and FP1 and achieve an A overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
Hopefully, D2 and FP1 won't put me off from achieving an A. As much as I'm determined a lot of people scare me. If I can just get through this year. Next year will be so smooth for me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is, Maths is probably the easiest subject to self-teach yourself. Ultimately, Maths is all about practice. As long as you have access to teachers to explain the odd thing you don't understand, you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
The thing is, Maths is probably the easiest subject to self-teach yourself. Ultimately, Maths is all about practice. As long as you have access to teachers to explain the odd thing you don't understand, you'll be fine.

That's exactly what I have in mind too. But so many people tend to scare me through stating how hard it is, I know it's hard but I don't like seeing it from that point of view but seeing only as it's challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by MasterA
It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of online resources and past papers as well as the text book. I am sure your teachers will be willing to help you if you get stuck on anything.

Some are willing to help me, but most are against me doing it. They will still help me but they won't be happy about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Shido
Some are willing to help me, but most are against me doing it. They will still help me but they won't be happy about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same happened to me last year, they refused to enter me for the exams until my C1 result which I got 98 in. I self taught FP1, M1 and S2 all on my own and I got 96, 92 and 90 ums respectively. It is definitely possible, you just need to work hard and understand all the concepts.
Reply 8
Original post by Robbie242
Same happened to me last year, they refused to enter me for the exams until my C1 result which I got 98 in. I self taught FP1, M1 and S2 all on my own and I got 96, 92 and 90 ums respectively. It is definitely possible, you just need to work hard and understand all the concepts.

Wow, you just influenced me on another level. I'll take that on board :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Robbie242

Wow. Thats amazing. What did you get in your maths modules? eg, c1 and c2 and applied.

Original post by Shido

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people self teach it using text books and online resources and get great results so you should certainly go for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Theres hardly any resources for D2 online. You really should have picked physics if you wanted to apply for imperial computing. The fact that you don't have any science A-levels is going to put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 11
Original post by MasterA
Wow. Thats amazing. What did you get in your maths modules? eg, c1 and c2 and applied.

Many people self teach it using text books and online resources and get great results so you should certainly go for it.

C1 98 C2 100 and S1 79
Absolutely. Especially as your only doing 3AS levels. If you were considering self teaching FM as a fifth that's a different story.
For edexcel the CD gives worked through solutions to all the questions in the book, you will have no problem there. Never did D2 so cant say.
Reply 13
Original post by Shido

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah of course, they are all pretty simple if you are good in maths. D2 should be simple for anyone, M1 requires basic mathemtical/physics concepts and FP1 is the only one you need to be good in maths to learn yourself.
Very doable :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MasterA

Yup, more then ever determined now. Robbie A actually lit a fire in my heart!

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Absolutely. Especially as your only doing 3AS levels. If you were considering self teaching FM as a fifth that's a different story.
For edexcel the CD gives worked through solutions to all the questions in the book, you will have no problem there. Never did D2 so cant say.

Yup, I actually do the the CD my school takes them away for some reasons. But I'll finishing M1 soon, or by end of December and I should start D2 and FP1 immediately!

Original post by be awake
yeah of course, they are all pretty simple if you are good in maths. D2 should be simple for anyone, M1 requires basic mathemtical/physics concepts and FP1 is the only one you need to be good in maths to learn yourself.
Very doable :smile:

Alright, thanks. People been telling me that FP1 is something to concentrate on, I'll start during the holidays and work my way up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido

Yup, I actually do the the CD my school takes them away for some reasons. But I'll finishing M1 soon, or by end of December and I should start D2 and FP1 immediately!

Probably because the CDs have all the answers and they want you to learn through error rather than feeling tempted to use the model answers. Yes lots of FP1 over xmas I suggest to ensure it dosnt interfere with your other subjects!
Good luck applying, I saw the entry requirements for maths & computer sci at ICL were A*A*A :eek: I know your applying for comp sci but still, my jaw dropped.
Reply 16
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Probably because the CDs have all the answers and they want you to learn through error rather than feeling tempted to use the model answers. Yes lots of FP1 over xmas I suggest to ensure it dosnt interfere with your other subjects!
Good luck applying, I saw the entry requirements for maths & computer sci at ICL were A*A*A :eek: I know your applying for comp sci but still, my jaw dropped.

Ahaha I already knew that, but I don't understand what makes it that extremely high. I mean even something like, medicine which is the "most competitive course in the known universe", doesn't have that much of a higher entry requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Shido

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be fine with FP1. I self-taught it with no help, and did better than some people in the year above who'd actually been taught it as a timetabled lesson! Just make sure you spend enough time on it! Although you'll probably need less time to learn it than it would take during lessons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by lizz-ie
You'll be fine with FP1. I self-taught it with no help, and did better than some people in the year above who'd actually been taught it as a timetabled lesson! Just make sure you spend enough time on it! Although you'll probably need less time to learn it than it would take during lessons :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
Ahaha I already knew that, but I don't understand what makes it that extremely high. I mean even something like, medicine which is the "most competitive course in the known universe", doesn't have that much of a higher entry requirement.

Im not quite sure either. Guess its just a popular course or has fewer places then comp sci or maths separately. Then again I remember reading that over 60% of students who take FM get an A so they may need the A* to differentiate between candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending