The Student Room Group

How creepy is eye contact? Or do you like it?

Poll

Eye Contact? (Make Multiple choice)

I was just wondering since I sometimes make I contact with random girls when walking about, but I wouldn't make eye contact with someone who you knew - even if you liked them. Another problem is also interpreting these eye contact - I mean at the end of the day they may have just been looking at you randomly, or maybe you had something on your face, after all we don't ONLY make eye contact with people we fancy etc... What's more worrying is misinterpreting these as signs that someone likes you when they may or may not. When I walk around I think I catch more girls looking at me than guys,but then again I don't know - is it just me looking at them and them looking back...? Another point would be would you make eye contact with someone you fancy? I can understand for some people it's irresistible but for others they wont even make a glance to people they fancy (me sometimes :frown: ). Make sure you make multiple choices in poll.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Why don't give make eye contact with girls you like?! I try to ONLY give eye contact to girls I like, dont want the uglier ones falling in love with me now do I.
Eye contact is such a minuscule aspect of building rapport/ attraction with another person that you can't really make decisions based on it alone. It sounds like you spend a lot of time looking at people, or a lot of time wondering if a stranger's glance meant anything, and not a lot of time talking to them. I suggest smiling and talking and more smiling. Then you can worry about whether somebody likes you or not. Sorry if that's not the case and you actually are talking to these people just from your post sounds kinda like you're not actually engaging these people.

Also,
Original post by Jordooooom
Why don't give make eye contact with girls you like?! I try to ONLY give eye contact to girls I like, dont want the uglier ones falling in love with me now do I.

This.
Reply 3
Failure to make eye contact during a conversation is a sign of weakness, just like a guy with a weak handshake. In terms of random strangers, if you like them just make eye contact, if nothing happens well **** it your not going to see them again anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Eye contact doesn't need to be creepy... you're just looking at the person. You aren't staring at their soul through their eyes.
Reply 5
Not very but everyone seems to have a problem with it.
Reply 6
Original post by Aaron.6.022
Eye contact is such a minuscule aspect of building rapport/ attraction with another person that you can't really make decisions based on it alone. It sounds like you spend a lot of time looking at people, or a lot of time wondering if a stranger's glance meant anything, and not a lot of time talking to them. I suggest smiling and talking and more smiling. Then you can worry about whether somebody likes you or not. Sorry if that's not the case and you actually are talking to these people just from your post sounds kinda like you're not actually engaging these people.

Also,

This.

Yes. I completely agree with what you said. But I based this thread on eye contact only, I do talk to girls but the ones I don't I tend not to look at often even if I like them. I mean I would make eye contact with them, but then stop at the point of coming off as obviously finding someone attractive. But yes, you cant make decision based on eye contact alone - too much uncertainty - I did suggest we can interpret eye contact many different ways.
I enjoy staring at people on the underground, knowing they don't stare back:awesome:
Original post by Anonymous
I enjoy staring at people on the underground, knowing they don't stare back:awesome:

:ditto: actually one of the best things about the trains, nearly always a good supply for people watching (and staring at in some cases)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Not creepy at all, unless they're doing it in a sleazy way. I had quite a few of those earlier today. :ahhhhh: If it's done natural or not in a creepy manner, then it's fine, I like it.

I can't make eye contact for **** unless I'm aware I'm doing it -- I have this strange tendency to look at the lips instead of the eyes. If, however, I meet a guy and realise I haven't looked at his eyes yet then I do make eye contact and try to hold it until I forget and I start looking at the lips again. :dontknow:
Reply 10
I maintain some eye contact when speaking to someone, but I never really understood the whole 'giving her the look' thing.
Reply 11
bump. (I would like more girl voters - for some reason I'm sceptical about the girls so far; since I thought most would be shy about giving signs)
Reply 12
It can be quite awkward if you don't realise the person is interested in you at all until you meet up and all they do is go from staring at your boobs, to your eyes, then back to your boobs and so on ...
I look at people anyway since that's what I do. It's only if they look back at me, or I look at them because I notice them looking at me, does it provoke a reaction. That's just passing though, in conversation I rarely ever think about it, it's just what happens? :tongue:

Either way, it's awkward with girls for some reason even though I shouldn't really care. With guys, since they're more than likely straight, I suppose I resist the potential awkwardness knowing that they either won't care, or are gay and might care. I suppose it's a small measure of confidence around strangers. Mind you, a smile during goes a LONG way.:colondollar:
Original post by Sazh
bump. (I would like more girl voters - for some reason I'm sceptical about the girls so far; since I thought most would be shy about giving signs)

I personally don't mind if a guy makes eye contact with me in conversation, but i see it more as a natural thing for the more confident guy than myself to do, but it still makes me feel a little uncomfortable with the cluelessness of what to do next, even though he probably doesn't even realise he's doing it aha. I can't hold it for long, i think if we all learn to skim over and break out of over analysing it at the time it happens that would be grreat :tongue:
I'm not really really shy, but i get embarrassed suddenly easily in the flow of a casual conversation so it's pretty obvious when i'm thinking about the eye contact thing, so i tend to stay away from holding it for long, and now i don't do it myself. I don't see a problem if it's something people naturally do though. Sorry for making you more confident peoples' lives a bit awkward.. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending