The Student Room Group

Ultimate rejection

I've liked a friend of mine for a long time and he's known about it for a while which has made things quite awkward between us. Last night at a party one of our mutual friends talked to him apparently to try and get something to happen between us. Later on in the night, he asked me to come into a room with him and we basically had a heart to heart and he said he wanted to get everything out in the open. So despite it being quite embarrassing, I told him really honestly how I felt about him and he said he was really sorry but he couldn't reciprocate and didn't think of me in that way. To be honest, I probably needed to hear it from him as 'closure' I guess after months of awkwardness, although I ended up getting quite upset and tearful about it. It's the first time I've ever seriously liked someone and people keep telling me not to let it get to me and try and move on, and as much as I want to, I don't know how. It's probably a stupid question really because there's no rational answer, but from anyone else who's been in a similar situation, how long does it take to get over something like this and move on from it? It's constantly eating away at me and I feel so tearful at the moment knowing that there's no chance whatsoever. It's especially difficult because we see each other regularly at Sixth Form and when we go out with our group of friends. :no:
Reply 1
So, been there myself and know how difficult it is. You really seem to have the maturity to accept what he told you. I must confess that in similar circumstances I remained in denial and kept trying, which was foolish.

These things can stay with you for a very long while - years - unless you actively move on. There are genuinely 'plenty more fish in the sea' and the best bet it to actively seek someone who feels equal enthusiasm. Things will get better and there will be new love. Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Once you meet someone you like and who likes you you'll forget that guy pretty quickly.

Rejection doesn't need to be devastating, it's not some big judgement on your success as a desirable human being, it's not personal. Just how they feel. Plenty of people out there will however feel something for you, and it's worth actively exploring them.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending