The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL SSEES 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hestia96
They also don't do clearing or adjustment so they will need to let some students in who miss the grades otherwise they would loose a lot of income. Having said this, try your hardest to get AAB because I can't speak for the uni :smile:

What do you mean by this?

Are you going to the open day on the 12th?

Nope, international student.

Which track are you thinking of choosing?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 61
Original post by MrDigBick
What do you mean by this?

Nope, international student.

Which track are you thinking of choosing?

Clearing is something students go through if they didn't get the grades to go to their first choice university. It gives them the opportunity to find a space at another uni that will accept them with the grades they have. Adjustment is something you can go through if you get better A-Levels than predicted. Most universities have these, but unfortunately UCL doesn't.

Ahh okay! Where are you from?
Reply 62
Clearing is something students go through if they didn't get the grades to go to their first choice university. It gives them the opportunity to find a space at another uni that will accept them with the grades they have. Adjustment is something you can go through if you get better A-Levels than predicted. Most universities have these, but unfortunately UCL doesn't.

Don't you mean fortunately? How come UCL doesn't do this?

Ahh okay! Where are you from?

What if the UCL admissions team are reading this forum.. wouldn't want them to recognise me :biggrin:

Which track will you choose?
Reply 63
Don't you mean fortunately? How come UCL doesn't do this?

What if the UCL admissions team are reading this forum.. wouldn't want them to recognise me :biggrin:

Which track will you choose?

I guess it could be seen as fortunate for us. This is why they say they don't participate in clearing: 'we anticipate that we will fill our places with students to whom we have offered places in the initial round of applications'.

Is there any way they could recognise you? They've already given you an offer so I don't think you need to worry :smile:

Btw I'm British and the track I'm thinking of choosing is literature.
Reply 64
Is there any way they could recognise you? They've already given you an offer so I don't think you need to worry :smile:

I doubt they have other applicants for that course from my country. I suddenly regret my username.

Btw I'm British and the track I'm thinking of choosing is literature.

Are you from London?

Did you apply for Politics & East European Studies, too?

Btw you have to tell me everything about the open day! :smile:
Reply 65

I doubt they have other applicants for that course from my country. I suddenly regret my username.

Are you from London?

Did you apply for Politics & East European Studies, too?

Btw you have to tell me everything about the open day! :smile:

Hahah dw I'm sure you'll be fine! No I'm from Manchester and I applied for Russian Studies. I'll PM you after the open day and tell you what it was like. :smile:
Reply 66
Hahah dw I'm sure you'll be fine! No I'm from Manchester and I applied for Russian Studies. I'll PM you after the open day and tell you what it was like. :smile:

Thanks, and please send some.pictures if you take any (but don't take any just for my sake!)

Have you been to UCL before btw? And which dorm are you hoping to get?
Reply 67
Thanks, and please send some.pictures if you take any (but don't take any just for my sake!)

Have you been to UCL before btw? And which dorm are you hoping to get?

Yeah I've visited before and really liked it! I heard from a lot of people that Ramsay is the best so hopefully that one :smile: you?
Reply 68
Yeah I've visited before and really liked it! I heard from a lot of people that Ramsay is the best so hopefully that one :smile: you?

Hoping for Ramsay as well :smile:

I made a quick visit last June, it was amazing.

What are you hoping to do after you finish your degree?
Reply 69
Feel like I'm butting in, but I've applied to the history course at SSEES and I just made it my firm c: anyone else gone for accommodation already?
Reply 70
Original post by epavlovams
Feel like I'm butting in, but I've applied to the history course at SSEES and I just made it my firm c: anyone else gone for accommodation already?

I'm firming UCL too for History SSEES. How do you apply for accommodation?
Reply 71
Original post by ambonkers

You go on ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation and then you click applications and from there you go to the apply for accommodation link (it's pretty obvious on there). It takes you to a login page and then you fill in a form! It's a bit of a hassle, but it's nice to have it done :smile:
Original post by ambonkers

Original post by epavlovams

Hey, was just wondering why you guys decided to firm UCL for History SSEES?

I've got an offer, but just can't decide whether to firm in or not... :/
Reply 73
Hoping for Ramsay as well :smile:

I made a quick visit last June, it was amazing.

What are you hoping to do after you finish your degree?

Yeah hopefully I'll get Ramsay! I really want to be close to uni in my first year. I have no idea, I'm just hoping I will in 4 years
Reply 74
Does anyone know what the questions are on the accommodation application? My friend applying to KCL was asked whether she gets up early and whether she considers herself as very sociable haha
Reply 75
Yeah I really hope a get Ramsay! I have no idea!! What about you?

Cool, we will walk to class together, lol.

Well, the politics track opens up some opportunities to work in govt or an international organization.. or as a journalist of some sort.

I think its definitely the one which opens up the most job opportunities out of the three.
Reply 76
Cool, we will walk to class together, lol.

Well, the politics track opens up some opportunities to work in govt or an international organization.. or as a journalist of some sort.

I think its definitely the one which opens up the most job opportunities out of the three.

Yeah I do politics for a level and the course I've applied to at the other unis is russian and politics so it would make sense if I chose that track but I'm really interested in russian literature so...
Original post by JimenyBillyBob

I've firmed it because I love the university and area and I like the subject area. The department seems pretty welcoming and enthusiastic too. (plus the entry requirements were pretty good!)
Reply 78
Original post by JimenyBillyBob

It's really really bad and super stereotypical, but basically it was because I'd been rejected by both Oxford and LSE... UCL was always my (realistic) top choice though, I really liked the course and the year abroad option seems really cool. Plus, a friend from the year above me is in London and whenever I was visiting him it seemed really great c:
Hey Guys,

got an offer for the MA in Comparative Business Economics program. I am wondering if anybody of you knows somebody who took the course ?? I am not quite sure if the quality of the professors is very good... I also got an offer from the University of Edinburgh (MSc in International Business and Emerging Markets) and St. Andrews (MSc International Business)....

Thanks,

Michael

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending