The Student Room Group

"How the Media Failed Women in 2013" - Eh?

I'm not sure if this video has been discussed as of yet:

While I find several of the instances compelling in regards to the sexism experienced by women, I feel that too many of the examples shown in this video are either out of context or not just a women's issue. For example, several instances are of clear comedic intent, and others, such as 'sexy' advertisements, are also experienced by men. Importantly, this gets no mention by the popular media, resulting in a one-sided argument. We are constantly reminded and demanded to pay attention to the 'objectification' and supposed subjugation of women. However, when examined with a more critical eye and a broader appreciation of society, double standards become very apparent. With gender issues, it's always women this, women that. Never 'people'.

So even though some depictions in this video are obviously degrading and sexist, is anyone else not also fed up with this repetitive gynocentrism?
It's nonsensical, cherry-picking rubbish. Don't pay attention.
Reply 2
gay
Its human nature for men to be more dominant and women to be submissive. Its part of the role play also carried out in natural intercourse. Its just nature. Of course we live in a civilised society that doesn't follow nature to its strictest rules but if you think that elements of nature won't filter through into civilised life then you are crazy. People sometimes cannot resist their urges.

Im all for equality in the workplace in terms of pay. Thats a corporate and legal issue. However, a man looking more dominant and a woman more submissive in an advert or on a billboard is entirely normal and in fact portrays most cases throughout history. Of course there are those who like it the other way around and thats entirely up to them but its the majority that advertisers want to reach out too and capitalise on that market.

They want the adverts to be sexy and a lot of people are into that domination and 'I'm in control' stuff and it reaches out to them. Its naughty, its engaging, flirtatious, daring and so on. Why wouldn't they do such a thing? I'd say feminists need to get a grip of marketing principles to be honest.

What looks better to a young male? A sexy woman in revealing clothes wearing Ray Bans or a middle aged conservative woman wearing a blouse from Marks & Spencers with Ray Bans on? I sure as hell know which one I'm going to remember if I'm interested and want to bring it up with my mates later or need to refer back to. 'You know, the advert with that hot chick'. Nobody is going to remember the boring old woman just like most women don't remember that boring male library assistant but I bet they remember the hot guy at the gym.

There are adverts out there where women look like they're being subjected to crimes in a soft manner. I don't mean the crimes are soft but the adverts take a softer view on them to pass regulations set in countries like the UK, Australia and the USA. They try and dumb it down whilst sending a similar message, often promiscuous, daring and sexual.

The women in those adverts gave permission to do that. They knew what they were doing and whilst they may not understand the concepts of the perceived image it puts across they still know that the advert will be televised.

Some of the most feminist women I know are also some of the biggest 'sluts' for lack of a better word. They put on a facade shouting to the rooftops yet they're no better than your average female student who just is who she is. If anything, they're more likely worse and use feminism as a platform to gain attention and make them seem like more of a challenge. They need to get off their high horses.

Im fed up of the myth that for men and women to be equal that we need to be equal in everything we do. How the heck do you even portray sex via an advertisement without some form of submission or one of the parties involved being submissive? During intercourse one of the parties is dominant, the other is submissive. Its entirely normal. Get over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending