The Student Room Group

Do you think you're a nice person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hellcat12
No you probably are too sodden and unreasonable in my opinion. :colone: But deep down I like you...

:lol: Lol, thanks I guess :lol: Erm, what do you mean by 'sodden' in this context? :K:
It's weird. If I'm nice I'm really nice to people... If I'm not, I can be so "sassy" and sarcastic it's unbelievable.

So yeah, I'm nice :wink: when I want to be.

And tbf the people who I'm nice to deserve it and vice versa..
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's weird. If I'm nice I'm really nice to people... If I'm not, I can be so "sassy" and sarcastic it's unbelievable.

So yeah, I'm nice :wink: when I want to be.

And tbf the people who I'm nice to deserve it and vice versa..

I think you're nice :biggrin:

I think most people are capable of turning catty when they don't like someone :dontknow:
Original post by Maid Marian
I think you're nice :biggrin:

I think most people are capable of turning catty when they don't like someone :dontknow:

Haha well thanks, but in all honesty I can be an absolute dick if I want :tongue:

I don't really think we can tell if people are genuinely nice over the internet though!

Yeah, it's true. I feel guilty though a lot of the time after saying something.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haha well thanks, but in all honesty I can be an absolute dick if I want :tongue:

I don't really think we can tell if people are genuinely nice over the internet though!

Yeah, it's true. I feel guilty though a lot of the time after saying something.

XD I think most people can be, though to varying levels :redface:

That's definitely true. Little is as it seems over the internet :tongue:
I would like to think I'm a nice person, although that's really subjective.
Hell no, I'm meaner than all my friends. And I don't have any friends cuz that's how mean I am! :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I treat others how Id like to be treated. Im only ever bitchy/unkind to someone if theyre like that to me first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kidomo
sometimes i think i'm 'too nice' :sigh:

I've been told this, and when I query what it means and if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just told "You are. I dunno" and that "it's a good thing", yet no one ever tells me why they think I am...

I also overapologise, which is something I've noticed recently. I've joked that I may as well be Canadian

I've said thank you to cash machines as well...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
I can be VVVEERRRYYY nice or VVVEERRRRYYY mean or simply plain nice.
Reply 50
I do think I'm nice :rolleyes:
Narcissistic thread time!

Who spends that much time wondering if they're 'nice' when human beings by their nature can vary in a day depending on a variety of factors?

But anyhow, I dunno, I'm not anything approaching sickeningly sweet to everyone, like a weeping martyr throwing myself under everyone's feet just to make them happy in any way possible.

Sometimes I am in fact a bit of a prat. I can give as good as I get verbally and I have no qualm with throwing my fists to defend myself and my family/friends if pushed.

But I'm not malicious, I never go out of my way to hurt, I'd say I'm simply a 'good' guy.

Also I've never cheated, set out to seriously harm or steal from anyone. You could leave a pile of money out and tell me not to take any and I wouldn't. You could leave your girlfriend out and tell me not to **** her and I wouldn't (mostly so not as to cheat on my girlfriend but also because I'd respect your relationship).

In fact you wouldn't even need to tell me not to do those to begin with.

Am I 'nice' TSR? :wink:

Your decision lol. :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Most of the time I am. But if something annoys me, I do have my moments that I say and do unreasonable things. :catfight:, which I'm not proud of.

Tends to leave me having to go round apologising to everybody after I've calmed down. :frown:
I have been told on many occasions that I am too nice. If someone does something to upset me I am not very good at telling that person they have upset me. I usually bottle it up and end up resenting them. Or alternatively I'm like no no it's fine (while secretly being upset).

I can be a bitch when I want to be, but I spend far too much time wondering whether I'm being too harsh. That said, if you end up in my bad books I don't forgive and forget easily.
Original post by siani-chan
I have been told on many occasions that I am too nice. If someone does something to upset me I am not very good at telling that person they have upset me. I usually bottle it up and end up resenting them. Or alternatively I'm like no no it's fine (while secretly being upset).

I can be a bitch when I want to be, but I spend far too much time wondering whether I'm being too harsh. That said, if you end up in my bad books I don't forgive and forget easily.

This! I prefer to message people and tell them via text, instead of talking to them with stuff like that... That's true. IF someone does end up in my bad books, they'll know it. Definitely :biggrin:
Depends on what you mean by 'nice'. I'd like to say that I always try to be a decent-hearted, honest, open and kind person. But I feel there is a distinction to be made between 'niceness' and 'kindness'. Niceness, by its definition, is inoffensiveness; it's ultimately doing or saying what you feel you're supposed to do. You're nice to your bus driver, waiter or a stranger on the street, and it's good to be polite. But you should be honest, open and true to your friends; and sometimes that requires you to be tough or - not unkind - but telling them things they don't want to hear.

I believe kindness is doing what you feel is right, what you want to do. A kind person gives money to charity because they want to, they sit with someone who is lonely and talk to them because they get joy from helping others, and expect nothing in return. A kind person tells someone what they feel they to need to hear, not what they simply want to hear, because they believe the truth is more important and helpful than being thought of as 'nice'. Nice people will often say things like, "Oh, I feel bad for old people sitting by themselves", "Oh, I'm always sad when I see the homeless" over Facebook, rather than doing anything out of their way to help those people, so they can inform their friends they're "so caring".

'Nice people' are often insecure. They don't say what they really think, they don't assert themselves out of fear that people may not like them. Nice people are guilted/cajoled into doing things they don't want to do, and then feel used, whereas a kind person will help who they want to help, when they want to help, and not allow someone to manipulate them in that way. Nice people expect things from their 'nice acts' (hence the much detested 'nice guy'), a kind person expects nothing in return, merely the pleasure of having given or done some small good.

I admit it: I was a nice person. But now I hope to be a kind person; not sure if i'm quite there yet.
Original post by Soft Cat
My downfall is I am too kind to people I hate it maybe I should be nasty and I will be popular with girls. I just want to find the right girl and spend time with her.

Like me you're in the wrong country (not racially i mean for being nice) girls here don't like nice like you said, they like the one that is a batard and doesn't show any love or smiles. Unfortunately I smile a bit although i still have a backbone. From my experience I've made great friendships from south america, usa and asia. Where the word: Gwiyomi / Lindo / Cute is used 90% of the time. Girls like cute not c un *. So don't act like that.
Reply 57
This is quite an intriguing thread, anyway...
I am nice sometimes like if people need help etc but irl I'm a joker so yeahhh
Original post by vaguity
Sounds like someone has a case of Nice Guy Syndrome.
Don't worry, you're probably not as nice as you think you are.

He is nice. Girls know when there's a nice guy and they don't like them. I am also in this group.
Funny though because by the time men are 40 then they stop being nice and don't give a crap about love and live alone. The guys that cheated on all the girls making them miserable by the time they're 40 are happy as hell while the girls get onto pof at 40 years old after a divorce and are now looking at 30 year old men.
(edited 10 years ago)
overall yes.

i'm a caring person :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply