The Student Room Group

What is the point of going to university and studying for a degree...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Clearly these days costs are going to come into the equation in a very significant manner.

To going because it's the thing to do is out of the window, you need specific reasons for going to the place and course of your choice.
Reply 21
Original post by Zenomorph
Clearly these days costs are going to come into the equation in a very significant manner.

To going because it's the thing to do is out of the window, you need specific reasons for going to the place and course of your choice.

It does not matter which field you choose to study. If you like it and you need degree, then go for it. But don't expect job to be there after graduation. If there are no jobs, create it yourself. If you are talented in the area of your studies and love it, then you're bound to succeed even in this competitive environment. But you'll probably need to start from scratch and build your own path as individual self-employed person.

I condemn those who go to uni without clearly having some definite goal because it's too expensive to go if you are not sure about your future. I would not risk going into debt without having explored the areas I'm interested in. It's better to skip a year or two and start to work in some field you are interested in before racking up huge debt.
Reply 22
The debt burden nowadays is 9000 (1+ [0.3 + x]) x is the RPI.

This won't be broadcast to you kiddies because they you as suckers to prop up the lousier universities.I was told this by the head of student finance at a top uni on an open day.

That works out effectively to be something close to overseas students' rates @ 13000 per year. This of course excludes living expenses.
Original post by passionate27
What is the point of going to university and studying for a degree when there are no graduate jobs at the end of three years study?

What do you have to say about this?

Passion of a subject
Reply 24
To get further education in a subject you enjoy. Work on the career stuff separately. You can study English and still end up as the head of an investment bank if you want, it's down to you, not your degree, as such.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 25
Original post by Valentas
It does not matter which field you choose to study. If you like it and you need degree, then go for it. But don't expect job to be there after graduation. If there are no jobs, create it yourself. If you are talented in the area of your studies and love it, then you're bound to succeed even in this competitive environment. But you'll probably need to start from scratch and build your own path as individual self-employed person.

I condemn those who go to uni without clearly having some definite goal because it's too expensive to go if you are not sure about your future. I would not risk going into debt without having explored the areas I'm interested in. It's better to skip a year or two and start to work in some field you are interested in before racking up huge debt.

Benefit to costs ratio
What is the point of going to university and studying for a degree when there are no graduate jobs at the end of three years study?

not everyone is meant for university. Some are supposed to be bricklayers.
Reply 28

I don't think anyone really disagrees that for 'useless' subjects (and, perhaps, some of the worst universities in the country) it would be better if they, instead, went straight into work or trained in something vocational (in fact, looking at the top rated comment on that article, it seems lots of people hold a more drastic viewpoint). The problem is, you can see why so many people do opt to go to university, irrespective of academic ability, because it's not as if there's an abundance of jobs working places like factories/manufacturing in the UK any more.

For those who go to study a good, respected subject at a top university there isn't really much of an issue getting a 'graduate job' (from my own experience, and out of the people I know - of course there are some people who are somewhat difficult to employ irrespective of subject/university).
There are several reasons to go to university and I don't see how a 'newspaper article' would disprove that... there hardly the most unbiased and reliable sources of information.

I went to this science lecture thing for A level students at University of Birmingham and they gave some pretty interesting statistics... for example there are now more jobs that require people to have degrees than jobs which require no qualifications at all. Most jobs that used to only require A levels now require degrees, and over 70% of employers don't care what you have a degree in, they just want you to have one.

You are going to have a much better job with a degree than without one and the benefits largely out weigh the costs. You'll never even see the money you lose out your pay check from student loans but at the same time you'll be earning a lot more than if you would have just left school and went straight into work.

If the UK needed them to work then they'd be given the opportunity to do so. But career opportunities (as opposed to just minimum wage jobs, e.g. shelf stacking) for school leavers are very small in number compared to those for graduates.

Industry wants more graduates, not school leavers.
lol I wonder that every day I guess it improves job prospects but ultimately at the end of the day experience will always triumph except if you want to do a course like medicine, teaching or dentistry where a degree is needed
Reply 32
To learn things (for my money the us system is better for this as you can explore different subjects).
It is required for some careers.
To start the process of learning o live independently if you haven't already done so.
Reply 33
Original post by AreebWithaHat
lol OP is doing an apprenticeship at a HE college.

Original post by John Stuart Mill
lol that's even worse

Not really sure what you're laughing at.
As a 17 year old who wants to work in a high tech industry which requires a degree, I feel going to university is the right decision, as it will enable me to get a job in a career I'd enjoy.
Reply 35
Because the industry I want to get into won't even look at your CV unless you have either the degree or experience in the industry... which is a lot harder to get without a degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
So you don't end up cleaning toilets or working in the nearest Tesco
Reply 37

There are plenty of graduate jobs available if you go to a top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CEKTOP
There are plenty of graduate jobs available if you go to a top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is though law aside in most cases the university doesn't really matter - its the 2:1, experience, and a well written CV & application and good interview which do.
Reply 39
Original post by jelly1000
Thing is though law aside in most cases the university doesn't really matter - its the 2:1, experience, and a well written CV & application and good interview which do.

Not only law. Consulting, investment banking, medicine (due to the fact that it's hard to get into med school), leading think tanks and even some big 4 and FCMG positions are likely to be out of reach for graduates with a degree from a non-target university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending