The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would I be able to call my child "Muslim", "Jew" or "Hindu" etc?

As "Christian" is a name, would I be allowed to call my child the name of the followers of other faiths? This isn't a "troll" thread.
You are able to call your child whatever you want. It's your child at the end of the day. Whether it's socially acceptable is another question.
Yeah.

But I advise you not to ... think of the kids!
Reply 3
Of course...

I plan to call my eldest son Jesus so that when people ask why he can say "because i'm the son of God, he's right over there"..

:colone:
It's okay but I beg you don't. Children are cruel and bully everything they can find.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
You are able to call your child whatever you want. It's your child at the end of the day. Whether it's socially acceptable is another question.

I'm pretty sure calling a female child 'Muhammad' or any child 'Allah' would be against the law in some countries and blasphemic.
Original post by Autistic Merit
I'm pretty sure calling a female child 'Muhammad' or any child 'Allah' would be against the law in some countries and blasphemic.

Yes it would, hence it's socially unnacaptable but if someone wanted to call their child that I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed.
Reply 7
It beats naming them 'Number 46 Bus Stop'.

Marginally.
Reply 8

Of course it would be, but not in the UK. Freedom, innit!
Reply 9

That's just plain stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
That's just plain stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some countries have blasphemy laws.
Reply 11
You'd be able to, but I imagine some religious people will try to get their kids to bully yours, or even engage in the bullying themselves in order to make a point.

Original post by Rakas21
Of course...

I plan to call my eldest son Jesus so that when people ask why he can say "because i'm the son of God, he's right over there"..

:colone:

Loads of Spaniards have beaten you to that :wink:
Come to think of it, it wouldn't be too bad calling a child "Shia" or "Sunni". It all depends on the word really and whether it sounds good as a person's name or not.
I dont see why not. But there are many better names.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MylittlePlusle
As "Christian" is a name, would I be allowed to call my child the name of the followers of other faiths? This isn't a "troll" thread.

Legally, yes. However, a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to shout the name across a playground without raising eyebrows.

I did hear of a child called Hell who had problems in America. In his/her native land (Germany), Hell means 'bright".
I know it’s an old thread but wanted to say that Muslim is also a name for Muslims and Middle Easterners. See, Muslim in Arabic is called Musalman. But the name Muslim also exists.
So you can have a child called Muslim Ahmed
who is a musalman (the proper Arabic word for calling followers of Islam instead of Muslim).