The Student Room Group

Working while going to school?

Ok, so I'm going to be 16 soon and I already got my NI number, and I was looking to get a job next summer after GCSEs are over, but is it a good choice to both work and study?

I would like to do medicine in the future so studying hard is really important, but at the same time I want to become more independent and earn a bit of money on my own and not always depend on my parents for some things.

I'm not doing it to "fit in" with the crowd, but I see many girls that went to my school last year work in retail in weekends, so I wonder if it's that they find it easy to juggle work and study or they just rushed into working??

Any advice would be helpful :smile:
Reply 1
I did a paper round when I was 13, then got a job in retail when I was 15 - 4 hours til I was 16 and could increase to 6 - I did Sunday so there wasn't an option for more hours. But I did loads extra in the holidays.

Seriously, 4-8 hours in retails isn't going to impact that much on your schoolwork, but it's really useful to get an appreciation what working is about, and it's great to get a bit of money too.
Reply 2
Original post by Katie_p
I did a paper round when I was 13, then got a job in retail when I was 15 - 4 hours til I was 16 and could increase to 6 - I did Sunday so there wasn't an option for more hours. But I did loads extra in the holidays.

Seriously, 4-8 hours in retails isn't going to impact that much on your schoolwork, but it's really useful to get an appreciation what working is about, and it's great to get a bit of money too.

Getting a job is a great idea, but you need to be disciplined not to take too many hours on. More than 6-8 hours a week and it will affect your grades. Don't be tempted to do that extra shift when you're offered it.....long term that extra £20 could cost you 1000s over a lifetime if you don't get the grades for medicine!
Reply 4
The official line my college recommends is no more than 8 hours per week, after that it will impact your grades. I think that's reasonable, unless you're really struggling 8 hours won't make a huge amount of difference. At any rate it should come out of your leisure time, not work-hours. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest