The Student Room Group

I find it hard to eat enough at uni especially for gym

I started uni this September and already lost around 3kgs. Pre uni I went to the gym for 3 months and ate 2500 calories daily with a decent amount of protein.

I bought a gym membership for 6 months but it's pretty useless since I don't eat enough calories. I generally eat out everyday but I just had a realisation that I want to accomplish something other than my studies - putting some mass on at the gym.

I just wanted to know some things that I can actually cook daily thats relatively easy.
Original post by Tea is for mugs
I started uni this September and already lost around 3kgs. Pre uni I went to the gym for 3 months and ate 2500 calories daily with a decent amount of protein.

I bought a gym membership for 6 months but it's pretty useless since I don't eat enough calories. I generally eat out everyday but I just had a realisation that I want to accomplish something other than my studies - putting some mass on at the gym.

I just wanted to know some things that I can actually cook daily thats relatively easy.

If you're eating out everyday then you could probably eat twice as many calories on the same budget, cooking at home :wink:

Try getting 500g of mince beef, 2 onions, a pepper, a jar of that dolmio sauce and a carton/tin of chopped tomatoes. And some pasta/potatoes

Get a saucepan and fry all the mince in some oil, chop the onions and pepper while it's turning brown. Throw the vegetables into the pan. Keep cooking until meat is completely brown and onions are turning soft. Throw all the chopped tomatoes and dolmio in. Start boiling pasta or microwaving some potatoes to make jackets (they take around 7 minutes at 1000W I think). Eat it all. Get big :wink:
I struggle with this too. Not much suggestions but if you want a food buddy, to keep us both on track, I'm happy to do that
I'm sorry but how is this even possible?

How many times per day are you eating?
Try eating many times, not just three, you can easily smuggle in things like peanutbutter, dried fruit, fruit juice or milk, v easy to eat/drink in large quantities and kcals build up.

And just eat more. What if your stomach is full? Well, it'll get used to more food soon, it'll expand and then you won't feel full so quickly.
Original post by silvershimmer
I'm sorry but how is this even possible?

How many times per day are you eating?
Try eating many times, not just three, you can easily smuggle in things like peanutbutter, dried fruit, fruit juice or milk, v easy to eat/drink in large quantities and kcals build up.

And just eat more. What if your stomach is full? Well, it'll get used to more food soon, it'll expand and then you won't feel full so quickly.

Because not everyone has a large appetite and has things to do.

It's quite easy to have this problem..
Reply 5
Get yourself a weight gainer. It has roughly 700-800 kcal per serving and can be used as either a meal substitute or as means to gain weight. It has a healthy mixture of all the essentials that you need, and if you have it with milk, you can up the kcal to 1000!
Reply 6
Yeah it can be hard getting enough food at uni, I'm always tempted to cut corners.

Look at some of the jars of sauce, I have a housemate who is domestically inept but can cook pasta with dolmeio (mentioned above) or Chili.

Cook your mince in a pan with some oil, adding half a chopped onion part way through.

At the same time you'll want to be cooking some rice. 1 part rice 2 part cold water, put it in a saucepan with a lid and bring it to the boil, turn the heat right down and just leave it.

Another easy meal is fajitas, cook up 1 - 2 chicken breasts with some red pepper and onion, add in a pack of flavouring (ol el paso is good) and add to wraps.

(As it was poorly presented last time I will reiterate) Try to smuggle in some snacks, even if its just something small like some fruit or some toast with peanut butter.
Drink whole milk.
The general rule I follow if I'm struggling to meet my calories is if it fits my macros then eat it.
I eat 3.5k a day at the moment on a reasonably busy schedule. It's really not that difficult (I have to eat a frankly excessive amount for my size and I'm busy 8-6 most days where eating cheap is difficult) as long as you try.

Breakfast shake - 70g Hurricane XS + 70g oats + 2tbsp olive oil + water - 750 kcals
Lunch - 175g (dried) rice + 100g chicken + curry sauce/veg - 900 kcals
Dinner - See above - 900 kcals
Post-workout shake - 70g Hurricane XS + 70g oats + 2tbsp olive oil + water - 750 kcals

+ 200-500 kcal snack in the evening (egg muffins /w ketchup, fruit, nuts+seeds)

I'm switching from Hurricane XS to whey + creatine after this batch because it's a bit cheaper and I only need 5g creatine tbh. Works out pretty cheap. Once I've switched it'll cost me ~85p for breakfast shake and 80p for PWO shake (5p is creatine), 80p for lunch and 80p for dinner. That's ~£4 a day for 3.3k kcals, then the few pence on snacks.

I cook lunch+dinner in portions of 4 (400g chicken + sauce + veg, divide into 4) so I only cook every 2-3 days. I don't drink any milk (bar a splash in coffee) as I *think* I'm lactose intolerant (I had cramps/****s for ages when I bulked with milk). It's pretty boring but my goals are cheap + macros as I'm not a fantastic cook so I get my food 'enjoyment' when I eat out once a week or so.
Original post by RollerBall
I eat 3.5k a day at the moment on a reasonably busy schedule. It's really not that difficult (I have to eat a frankly excessive amount for my size and I'm busy 8-6 most days where eating cheap is difficult) as long as you try.

Breakfast shake - 70g Hurricane XS + 70g oats + 2tbsp olive oil + water - 750 kcals
Lunch - 175g (dried) rice + 100g chicken + curry sauce/veg - 900 kcals
Dinner - See above - 900 kcals
Post-workout shake - 70g Hurricane XS + 70g oats + 2tbsp olive oil + water - 750 kcals

+ 200-500 kcal snack in the evening (egg muffins /w ketchup, fruit, nuts+seeds)

I'm switching from Hurricane XS to whey + creatine after this batch because it's a bit cheaper and I only need 5g creatine tbh. Works out pretty cheap. Once I've switched it'll cost me ~85p for breakfast shake and 80p for PWO shake (5p is creatine), 80p for lunch and 80p for dinner. That's ~£4 a day for 3.3k kcals, then the few pence on snacks.

I cook lunch+dinner in portions of 4 (400g chicken + sauce + veg, divide into 4) so I only cook every 2-3 days. I don't drink any milk (bar a splash in coffee) as I *think* I'm lactose intolerant (I had cramps/****s for ages when I bulked with milk). It's pretty boring but my goals are cheap + macros as I'm not a fantastic cook so I get my food 'enjoyment' when I eat out once a week or so.

This is what I was looking for I'm very committed to sticking to a regime, oats are actually a brilliant food for me, its a substitute for the carbs and as you said its relatively cheap. Next trip to tesco will include all these foods :smile: I think I'll try rotating each week with another menu though I can imagine after some time it getting boring for my taste buds.

Original post by Architecture-er
If you're eating out everyday then you could probably eat twice as many calories on the same budget, cooking at home :wink:

Try getting 500g of mince beef, 2 onions, a pepper, a jar of that dolmio sauce and a carton/tin of chopped tomatoes. And some pasta/potatoes

Get a saucepan and fry all the mince in some oil, chop the onions and pepper while it's turning brown. Throw the vegetables into the pan. Keep cooking until meat is completely brown and onions are turning soft. Throw all the chopped tomatoes and dolmio in. Start boiling pasta or microwaving some potatoes to make jackets (they take around 7 minutes at 1000W I think). Eat it all. Get big :wink:

I'll definitely do the recipe, good amount of protein and carb, I'm actually salivating just reading it lol
I'll definitely do the recipe, good amount of protein and carb, I'm actually salivating just reading it lol

Haha do it, it's amazing!

I have a big wok that can cook double that amount in one go, then I just have to reheat and cook some pasta for each meal, so time efficient :awesome:
Pure mass *2 a day. 100g of protein and 1000kcals

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what I was looking for I'm very committed to sticking to a regime, oats are actually a brilliant food for me, its a substitute for the carbs and as you said its relatively cheap. Next trip to tesco will include all these foods :smile: I think I'll try rotating each week with another menu though I can imagine after some time it getting boring for my taste buds.

The oats I use are instant oats from myprotein (5k for a tenner unflavoured) it just saves me having to blend them to make it even easier.

I rotate the sauce/carb of my dinner/lunch. So last batch I cooked balti, next I have tikka masala, after that chicken tonight then I'm going to swap rice for pasta once I've finished this big bag and have pasta sauces for a week or two.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because not everyone has a large appetite and has things to do.

It's quite easy to have this problem..

nuts, chocolate and dried fruit are all extremely high in kcals and you can eat them on the go, even if you have things to do.
Original post by silvershimmer
nuts, chocolate and dried fruit are all extremely high in kcals and you can eat them on the go, even if you have things to do.

Thank you
Reply 16
2.5c (soy) milk- I've not drank cow milk in a long time so don't know what the macros for it are
1c oats
2TBs peanut butter
blend, add water as needed, drink

c=cup=237ml though if you don't have a cup just do 250ml by eye

850kcal, 50g protein. You can add a scoop of protein or two if you can inclined. Spinach (you can't taste it put you get your greens in) and (frozen) bananas are a good addition too. That can bring it up to 1300kcal, 100g protein. If you only need 2500kcal then that makes it easy.
I'm constantly hungry in uni. I will literally look and buy the most calorie dense food to stop myself losing weight.
I dont really have trouble eating as long as I time my meal right. Keeps me from snacking as well. If you have trouble then you can always supplement with a weight gainer, quick calories.

Quick Reply

Latest