The Student Room Group

Post-interview reactions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
I've done that in interviews before. I don't even know how it happened? :confused:

Exactly! I've been thinking about writing to them to explain, something in the line of 'Dear Interviewers, please ignore the insanity displayed by me during my interview; I can assure you that it was quite temporary.' :tongue:

Original post by gouratiltzen
Exactly...

In my second interview, I told the interviewer that I spoke jibberish in my earlier interview due to nervousness. They said that they were once in our position, and thus understand what happens in high pressure situations, and that they dont judge everything based on the interview for this reason. They then reassured me that it usually isn't as bad as the applicant remembers.

That's something I suppose...

Really? Oh, I feel a little better now, thanks for sharing! My interviewers were extremely friendly, so hopefully they'll make some allowance for my sudden ignorance :colondollar:
I enjoyed it way more than I expected! The first interview was a bit tricky and I painted myself into a corner at times, but overall I am satisfied with that one.
The second interview went pretty well even though I stumbled on some questions concerning the extract that had been given to me in beforehand. But I felt more and more confident as we started to discuss my essays (we only had time to discuss one of them, I don't know if that's a good or bad sign) and books I've read during the last 12 months.

I am relatively satisfied with my effort, but I don't want to have any expectations.
The interviewers are really, really nice. I forgot what my questions were but I kept the flow going and I wish to be in that atmosphere again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Eugh. Pretty sure it's the pool for me! :tongue:
Reply 84
Had my interview on Monday for ChemEng via NatSci at Queens'.

I was able to answer some of the questions quite quickly without much guidance, but there were also some where I needed A LOT of hints before arriving at the right answer

And the questions weren't even that hard, I could've done a lot better at the mechanics questions if I were a bit calmer and thought about them more :/

Did anyone else find the questions surprisingly straight forward? There were probably only 1 challenging question per interview and even then they were quite manageable. Was it because my pace was too slow so I couldn't ger to the more difficult ones? :s-smilie:
Deleted post
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by CvariableERIO
The interviewers are really, really nice. I forgot what my questions were but I kept the flow going and I wish to be in that atmosphere again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My experience was the same, but that actually worries me - maybe I became too relaxed for an interview situation...?:confused:
Reply 87
Does anybody know the exact date people receive updates on their application (pools, rejections, offers etc.)?
Reply 88
Original post by GB6991
Does anybody know the exact date people receive updates on their application (pools, rejections, offers etc.)?

See this link: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_2.html
Reply 89
Had my interview reading English at Wolfson yesterday. I went down the night before and was actually reasonably calm considering the circumstances. I said as much as I could and answered all of the questions as well as I possibly could at the time. I was nervous but I was lucky not to let it get to me, then again I am a little older than most of you probably so you have all done VERY well to go through such an experience at 17/18!

My only real worry is that I feel I had quite strong interviews, which makes me think that maybe I didn't do so well. If people who don't think they do so well actually did well, those who think they did well may actually have done badly. I guess time will tell! I was just honest anyway, I'd rather have an honest no than a dishonest yes :smile: Good luck everyone!
Reply 90
Original post by HJones68
I had my interviews at Cambridge last week...

Applied for Theology and Religious Studies and had an interview at Homerton and an interview at Girton

Does anyone else really have no idea whatsoever about how they did? I suppose some of it went well and there were some bits I feel like I messed up. The thing is when I said stupid things I felt that with some help from the interviewers I was able to correct myself mostly...

I don't know, it's really heard not to over-think it, especially as we have to wait so long to hear from them now

I had interviews for Theology at King's and Trinity. The one at King's went very well I think - I had had a 1 to 1 experience with Dr Morris at an open day before, and he had remembered me, and it was quite pleasant. But my second interview was with Trinity, and they grilled me so hard. I think perhaps it's because they didn't know anything about me, and maybe King's already had preconceived ideas about me - whether they be good or bad is another matter!

Best of luck with getting an offer!
Reply 91
Original post by avocado2
I'm getting a little freaked out by the whole hard interview/easy interview = good interview/bad interview thing. I seem to fluctuate from thinking it all went rather well to extreme pessimism. I've applied for a fairly small arts subject.

My immediate reaction when I came out of my interviews was that they were alright but in retrospect I think I said some silly things and maybe didn't answer the questions properly. I found them quite enjoyable (albeit slightly terrifying) at the time but that is probably just because I really like talking about my subject.

I had one interviewer who disagreed with nearly every point I made but then would sometimes smile in a way that made me feel like I was doing quite well. At the time it felt like it was being done to push me but now I'm worried that they genuinely hated all my ideas!

Is it a good sign if you feel like it would have gone on longer if it weren't for the time constraints?

It feels like a terribly long wait. I am trying to be positive about it for now - I'm going to be sad if I'm rejected no matter what so I might as well try to enjoy a few weeks of hope.

One of my interviews went like that. He completely disagreed with everything I said, and then would say "Have you read ______ by _____, it offers a very good counter-argument to what you're saying". And of course, I had not read what he suggested, so I appeared very stupid. But I made the point of noting down the titles in front of him so I appear to be eager to expand my knowledge.
Original post by GB6991
My experience was the same, but that actually worries me - maybe I became too relaxed for an interview situation...?:confused:

That seems to be a good thing, no? I genuinely went "huh?!" when they told me that my interview is over, I had not been aware of the passage of time...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ZeqiG
Had my interview on Monday for ChemEng via NatSci at Queens'.

I was able to answer some of the questions quite quickly without much guidance, but there were also some where I needed A LOT of hints before arriving at the right answer

And the questions weren't even that hard, I could've done a lot better at the mechanics questions if I were a bit calmer and thought about them more :/

Did anyone else find the questions surprisingly straight forward? There were probably only 1 challenging question per interview and even then they were quite manageable. Was it because my pace was too slow so I couldn't ger to the more difficult ones? :s-smilie:

EXACTLY the same here. I did some questions really quickly, then for others I needed quite a few hints to get to the answer. I know I could have arrived at the correct answer myself without hints, but my brain kept going blank.

I know what I need to work on now though, and that's doing maths under pressure.
Reporting in for the one good, one bad interview club.

Anyone else had their bad interview overrun by like 15 minutes?
Reply 95
I had one OK interview and one bad one. 4 of the questions I got asked were literally easier than AS level. The "hard" ones, I didn't do too well in, not because they were really challenging but because I was really confused and my mind went blank. I feel that if everyone got asked similar difficulty questions and given the competition for places, there must have been more people than the number of places that aced the interview for my college.
I don't have high hopes for a place now but it was still an interesting experience.

Was today the last day of interviews btw?
Just a heads up, I applied for maths 2 years ago and I thought I completely ballsed up my interview, first maths question wasn't too bad managed to get through it okay, but for the second one I had absolutely not clue, I literally stared at the problem and after a minute of silence they gave me a prompt, I still had absolutely no idea, another minutes silence, another prompt, still no idea, another very very long awkward silence, then the end of the interview, where they just told me the solution to which I had made zero progress. I came out thinking I didn't have a hope in hell of getting an offer, but I did, so don't feel like the worlds over if your interviews didn't go exactly to plan!
Reply 97
Original post by CvariableERIO
That seems to be a good thing, no? I genuinely went "huh?!" when they told me that my interview is over, I had not been aware of the passage of time...

I felt this way too. The interview flowed really nicely and I felt like I was asking them more questions than they were asking me, I worry that maybe I was too confident and too relaxed, but I know that I answered as best as I could. I really enjoyed it anyway, fingers crossed it was a good interview!
Reply 98
Original post by jessology
Eh - it probably sounds more impressive than it actually was :colondollar: my general interview wasn't too terrible anyway; my academic one however had much hand burying and forgetting of words. Did yours go okay?

my subject interview was much better!!although we finished about 5-10 minutes early...im not sure that's a good thing though...maybe they just thought i was not good enough and they decided to end the interview early :frown:
What's the average length of an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending