The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick question

Hi all,

Basically I'm applying this year to Edinburgh University. And I'm eligible for reduced fees (but I'm not in anyway Scottish) so I was just wondering does anyone know if this is likely to "disadvantage" my application.

Quite hard to explain what I'm asking but basically just asking will I be less likely to get in when they realise that I'm not Scottish but don't have to pay fees. I.e do they have certain caps.

Thanks for any help. (and sorry for the poor way I've explained this - it makes sense in my head but not on paper!)
I don't think you're likely to get an honest answer to that. Theoretically EU applicants (except the rest of the UK) should get tuition fees at Scottish unis subsidised by Scottish tax payers. However if loads of non Scottish folk got places and hardly any Scottish students the Scottish population would be very unhappy, there's no point having free primary and secondary education if our kids can't then get tertiary education in Scotland that their parents are funding through their taxes.
No one is going to admit to favouring Scottish applicants though. There is a cap set by the Scottish government for the number of places they will subsidise, so English/ nonEU foreign students go into a different pool.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
i know this- if you are from/ born in scotland you will pay the fees that you are required to do so. for example, if your from england and want to go to a scottish university you will pay up to £9000.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/student-finance/undergraduate-student-finance

see this link for more information
Original post by newgu
Hi all,

Basically I'm applying this year to Edinburgh University. And I'm eligible for reduced fees (but I'm not in anyway Scottish) so I was just wondering does anyone know if this is likely to "disadvantage" my application.

Quite hard to explain what I'm asking but basically just asking will I be less likely to get in when they realise that I'm not Scottish but don't have to pay fees. I.e do they have certain caps.

Thanks for any help. (and sorry for the poor way I've explained this - it makes sense in my head but not on paper!)

Applications are considered holistically, so all Home-EU applicants (i.e. everyone who isn't RUK or International) will receive equal consideration of their applications. Despite the hyperbole, the thing most likely to sink your application (whether you are Home-EU or RUK) is a poor personal statement, poor grades, or a poor reference. Nothing else.

That said, are you certain that you're eligible for Home-EU fee support? Citizenship alone is insufficient, it's residency that matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending