The Student Room Group

Looking to young for your age - male

I look to young for my age and now that I'm in Uni it is proving to be a big problem. Girls don't take me seriously as I look way too young so they'll never want to hook up with me or go on a date with me. I know its fair enough because it would look so awkward for a girl going out with a guy that looks like 15 when she is 18. But it's so annoying as I am very social and don't act like a timid teenager in anyway but no matter how alpha I act my face will always bring me down. Anyone else have this problem or know anyone that has and how they dealt with it? thanks
Reply 1
Id say I probably look younger than I am (21, but I probably look 18).

Meeting the right type of girls. I was called cute, but I still managed to get a girlfriend at the start of uni. You always are going to have to be just lucky, and you're not going to be everyones cup of tea, despite your "alpha" actions.
Reply 2
Try growing your facial hair? I know several guys who felt they looked younger than their age and felt that stubble made them look older. Other than that, I don't know.
I have the problem from the other way round (girl looking younger than my age) but it's become much less of a problem. Aged 16 I'd still get checked for 12 films... Now, a year and a half later people think I'm in my twenties. I look the same- it's just a question of behaviour, and owning my appearance (particularly height in my case) I think.
I'm at Uni now, look pretty young for my age; I'm 20 but people say I look about 17. I've got a girlfriend since coming to University.. not really a problem :smile: You can't help that you look young so just don't worry about it.
Perhaps it's your acting 'alpha' that does it. I don't know how to break it to you but most people (men and women) think that 'alpha' is not-so-secret-code for ****.

At any event, if you think it will look awkward for an 18 year old to date you then it's probably that very insecurity which is undermining you. If you're an interesting guy with a good sense of humour who can be kind and exciting around girls you won't go far wrong. Maybe the club scene isn't working for you; so find somewhere that does. Perhaps that's joining a society or talking more to people on your course, but get yourself into an environment which isn't all about looks and take it from there.

If it's still not working after that, perhaps there's something more fundamental to blame but don't give up - if you've only just started Uni you haven't been there that long and there's still plenty of time to go.
Reply 5
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Perhaps it's your acting 'alpha' that does it. I don't know how to break it to you but most people (men and women) think that 'alpha' is not-so-secret-code for ****.

At any event, if you think it will look awkward for an 18 year old to date you then it's probably that very insecurity which is undermining you. If you're an interesting guy with a good sense of humour who can be kind and exciting around girls you won't go far wrong. Maybe the club scene isn't working for you; so find somewhere that does. Perhaps that's joining a society or talking more to people on your course, but get yourself into an environment which isn't all about looks and take it from there.

If it's still not working after that, perhaps there's something more fundamental to blame but don't give up - if you've only just started Uni you haven't been there that long and there's still plenty of time to go.

By alpha I don't mean acting in the typical "laddish" way maybe that was the bad word to use. I meant that I get along with a lot of people and I'm generally an easy going and talkative person and nice to anyone I meet, not timid and shy is what I'm getting at. You're right about clubs only the typical stacked "lad" pull there but I go to a lot of house parties and chill with different friends where there are girls, its just I feel like they get put off by my innocent young look which instantly puts you in the friend zone.
Reply 6
Growing out your facial hair might increase the age. I know someone who I knew at secondary school who always looked really young then. Recently saw them on facebook with a beard. Looked abit weird to begin with, but he certainly looked alot older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending