The Student Room Group

University places restrictions lifted

I am new here so I do not know exactly where this must go , but I just came across this piece of news on guardian.co.uk and i thought it was very interesting
What do you guys think about this
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/dec/05/university-places-restriction-lifted-student-loan-george-osborne
Regardless of 'no limits' there will always be practical limits on the number of students any Uni will take - they have to consider staff numbers/hours, lecture theatre seats, library resources and classroom space etc etc.

I suspect what the current G'ment are trying to engineer here is enabling increased places at RGs and 1994 Unis for ABB+ candidates (ie. through Adjustment etc) - and squeezing bright students away from some of the lower/middle Unis in the hope they can eventually close them, merge them or reclassify them as something else.
Reply 2
The quality of education and services in the unis will simply decline rapidly. I hope the prestigious universities don't become diluted in the process
Original post by returnmigrant
Regardless of 'no limits' there will always be practical limits on the number of students any Uni will take - they have to consider staff numbers/hours, lecture theatre seats, library resources and classroom space etc etc.

I suspect what the current G'ment are trying to engineer here is enabling increased places at RGs and 1994 Unis for ABB+ candidates (ie. through Adjustment etc) - and squeezing bright students away from some of the lower/middle Unis in the hope they can eventually close them, merge them or reclassify them as something else.

From the RG reaction, not sure about this. Indeed it looks as though the RG, which thought itself cock of the walk after the demise of the 1994 Group, might not have quite the standing with government that it thought it had.

Interesting piece in THES:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/willetts-astonished-by-elite-reaction-to-expansion/2009820.article

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending