The Student Room Group

What should I bring to my Oxford interview?

Hey guys first time posting here, sorry if I somehow screw something up...

Applying for Engineering Science and I have my interview a week tomorrow, and I'm staying the night over on the Tuesday. Is there anything I should bring for sure?
Also wondering if it's worth taking my laptop down so that I can get a bit of work done to pass the time, is this normal, and do they mind you using their internet?

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 1
A suitcase full of cash if you want to get in...
Reply 2
They told me there'd be Wi-fi... I'm taking my laptop to work on my EPQ - gonna take advantage of the library facilitiiieeeesss :biggrin:DD
Reply 3
Some clothes would be handy, something smart for the actual interviews - don't go in their looking like a complete scruff but you don't have to go mega formal! Print off your personal statement and any work/research that interests you - good to re read this the night before so its fresh. Also a map!

Wifi is completely dependant on college and rooms as each college has a different policy. Some rooms still only allow Ethernet, so bring a cable just in case.
The porters/student helpers should be able to get you access if its not readily available should you really need it. Be aware that Oxford phone coverage is patchy at best, some colleges suffer from a complete lack of coverage so something to bear in mind if your parents are dieing to talk to you every hour.

Chances are that you wont be able to gain access to the libraries without assistance as most in the university/colleges are key card entry only - sorry. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Do you need to bring a towel?
Reply 5
Original post by MJasper

I've just had one at Mansfield and we were provided with towels but it might change college to college
Reply 6
Original post by Swagasaurus
Hey guys first time posting here, sorry if I somehow screw something up...

Applying for Engineering Science and I have my interview a week tomorrow, and I'm staying the night over on the Tuesday. Is there anything I should bring for sure?
Also wondering if it's worth taking my laptop down so that I can get a bit of work done to pass the time, is this normal, and do they mind you using their internet?

Some good advice already in this thread (particularly in the UNIQ post). I'd say yes to the laptop, it's pretty normal and there's no harm in getting some work done (but don't beat yourself up over it if other stuff intervenes and you don't get anything done). If you can think of anything relaxing but also not tiring—like a book you like and have read before, or something—that's a good option to kill time, too. You may find that the college puts some stuff on for you and you don't have much spare time to kill.

Good luck!

Original post by MJasper

I'd expect any college to provide a towel, much as a hotel would (the colleges do conference accommodation during the holidays, after all). But you could always check with the college directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending