The Student Room Group

Imperail college London has been accused of Animal Cruelty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dugdugdug
I can't helping it might be a smear campaign against Imperial, especially at this time when students are making their choices.

The way the animals were treated probably was as they reported but how did the reporters manage to go undercover?

What I would like to know is which other universities did they target for this investigtion? There certainly was no mention of other institutions conducting research correctly or otherwise.

Possibly , but for what motive ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luketreherne
Possibly , but for what motive ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll never know for certain but it could be used by Imperial's rivals to tarnish their reputation.

There just isn't enough information as to why this investigation was conducted, who else were targeted, have the people who infiltrated Imperial illegally been prosecuted, etc. to suggest we are hearing the full story.
Reply 62
Original post by Octohedral
There's a bedraggled little group of anti-vivisectionists who protest outside the Oxford labs all the time. You have to admire them standing up for what they believe in, but so much good comes out of Oxford University, and there are so many proper channels this could go through (why, for example, is not a single one of the protestors a trained scientist or academic) that I find it hard to sympathise.

That said, it's hard to know the exact nature of the failings from the BBC article. If it's true about the lack of anaesthetic then that's cruel and should be rectified.

Funny picturing that small group of protesters wasting all their time + being ignored by so many!!

I lean in favour of science + think many animal-rights activists should get fully prosecuted/sent to prison, + I'll mercilessly TICKLE them as well!! :lovedup:
Reply 63
Original post by tengentoppa
To be completely honest, as long as the research benefits humanity, I don't care. I have no compassion whatsoever for the lab rats.

Replace humanity for white race and you just became Hitler. Well done.
Reply 64
Original post by MatureStudent36
Like most people in teh world. I don't care.

But I'm sure a vocal minority will make up for the majorities apathy.

:biggrin: I'm with you on this, MatureStudent36!! No matter how hard I try, I just can't even raise an eyebrow at this issue.....:wink:

The minority will be SO shocked at us!!
:shock:

xx
Reply 65
Original post by limetang

And secondly. Testing on animals is absolutely vital.

Humans are animals too. Carry that to its logical conclusion.
Reply 66
Original post by felamaslen
Steps should be taken to reduce animal suffering where possible, but not at the expense of humanity.

I disagree.
Reply 67
Original post by Heather11

:biggrin: I'm with you on this, MatureStudent36!! No matter how hard I try, I just can't even raise an eyebrow at this issue.....:wink:

The minority will be SO shocked at us!!
:shock:

xx

The same minority that was/is shocked at the treatment of other people on the basis of age/race/sex. Let me spell it for you: discrimination.
Reply 68
Original post by alow
I see no problem with this.

Racists see no problem with racism. :smile:

Don't worry.
Reply 69
Original post by betaglucowhat
If you are against animal testing but are happy to benefit from it that is practically the dictionary definition of hypocritical.

Would you be willing to ban all animal testing? If yes, you'd lose your drugs anyway, if no, then you're not really against animal testing.

You don't have to think it's brilliant but if you think it's necessary then you're not against it, you just view it as a necessary evil.

I am sure you are against exploitation of humans but I am sure you buy stuff made by humans under conditions of exploitation. Conclusion: you are hypocritical.

I am sure you don't care about giving blood/organs but I am sure you if your mother was in need of blood by other people, you would care about giving blood/organs. Conclusion: you are hypocritical.
Reply 70
Original post by limetang
No, but implicit in being against animal testing is the idea that it is unacceptable to put human life above animal life. Your actions are saying something that is in contradiction to your words.

Nonsense. The problem with your words is that they are absolute. Either you are against this or your are against that. Either you love or you hate me. It does not work like that. If you are a dick, I will hate you and if you are nice, I will love you. Similarly, animal testing is to be avoided unless there are particular reasons that pushes us towards it (painless methods, use of rats that due to an array of reasons would have died in the wild, research towards the cure of a potentially painful disease,etc). Learn higher order logical reasoning then talk to me.
Reply 71
Original post by John Stuart Mill
it's this sort of organising into 'humans' and 'non humans' that has been used throughout the entire of human history to get away with inflicting suffering, animal cruelty is no worse than human cruelty whether or not it yields results (ironic as well as I bet most of you would uphold the rule of law in regards to human torture not being used in national security situations).

Loving this response from my fellow utilitarian, Mr. Mill.
Reply 72
Original post by ForgetMe
Rats are alive creatures as well, why should they suffer to benefit you? Why can't you be a testing tool, I'm sure you would benefit humanity much more than suffering rats.

+1 Go, ForgetMe for the win!

Because they are rats, disease-ridden filth. I prioritise humans over other animals, and so I have no qualms about using animals to benefit humans.

They are not filth. They are animals. And they are more helpful to the biosphere than humans have been so far. "I prioritise white people over other races, and so I have no qualms about using other races to benefit white people" It fits perfectly. You know why? because both are instances of the same thing. This thing is called discrimination. :smile:

Original post by trasitszy
I think that humans as a race can be so arrogant and presumptuous. If these rats were tested on without proper pain relief then that is completely unexcusable- they can feel pain and distress so if we can reduce this suffering (which we CAN) then we should.
I am not saying we can ban all animal testing at the moment- unfortunately there is no real alternative and I accept it as a necessary evil.

+1

Original post by ForgetMe
Humanity is much more worse than few rodents.. People pollute air by releasing their gas, litter everywhere, consume more than they need, kill innocent animals, destroy nature etc.

We even destroy animal's habitats, yet we are the ones that matter the most...

ForgetMe! +2

Obviously. Humans are superior to other creatures.

In what sense? May I remind you that not ALL humans are superior to other creatures? Your statement lacks any meaning whatsoever.

No-one likes a pedant.

You don't seem to like the truth.
Reply 73
Original post by Juichiro
Racists see no problem with racism. :smile:

Don't worry.

I don't see how this is relevant.
I disagree.

To be fair, what I said could be interpreted in many ways
Reply 75
Original post by alow
I don't see how this is relevant.

You are discriminating on irrelevant grounds. Just like people like Hitler did. He did not see any problem with the mistreatment of groups he considered inferior. Just like you.
Reply 76
You are discriminating on irrelevant grounds. Just like people like Hitler did. He did not see any problem with the mistreatment of groups he considered inferior. Just like you.

Did you really just compare me to Hitler? Bye bye troll.
Reply 77
Original post by alow
Did you really just compare me to Hitler? (yes, deal with it)

You both discriminated on irrelevant grounds. Whether it is racism, sexism or speciesism. It does not matter. It is still discrimination.
Replace humanity for white race and you just became Hitler. Well done.

Equating racism to prioritising humans over animals is naive at best, idiotic at worst.

They are not filth. They are animals. And they are more helpful to the biosphere than humans have been so far. "I prioritise white people over other races, and so I have no qualms about using other races to benefit white people" It fits perfectly. You know why? because both are instances of the same thing. This thing is called discrimination. :smile:

In what sense? May I remind you that not ALL humans are superior to other creatures? Your statement lacks any meaning whatsoever.

You don't seem to like the truth.[/QUOTE]
Arguably the most idiotic thing I have ever read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending