The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Law Applicants 2014

Hey Law applicants! I hadn't seen this thread yet so I thought I would start one. Who is planning on applying, have applied, have offers, will you make it your firm/insurance? Why did you choose to apply to Leeds for Law?
I applied and i have a conditional offer :smile: I'm definitely making it my firm choice when i receive offers/rejections from all my other choices. I chose Leeds because when I visited it in October I fell in love with the campus and city (even though it was raining!*insert umbrella*) and it didn't hurt that the law faculty is in an awesome building and has a kick ass moot room.
Your turn! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've applied and also received an access to Leeds offer of abb if I do 2 essays :smile: definitely making it my from and I just loved the uni. The gym was also pretty amazing. I just hope I get in!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Planning to do the accelerated graduate programme (2 years). Finished Politics degree there last year. Old'un at 22, or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Sineadcorrigan_1
I've applied and also received an access to Leeds offer of abb if I do 2 essays :smile: definitely making it my from and I just loved the uni. The gym was also pretty amazing. I just hope I get in!

Sounds good :smile: I'm in love with the uni and the gym was amazing!!! Just need to get the marks now!
Reply 4
Original post by BCcfc92
Planning to do the accelerated graduate programme (2 years). Finished Politics degree there last year. Old'un at 22, or not.

Oh wow! How is 22 old??? That's not old! What did you think of the uni as a whole when you were studying politics? Any insight would be awesome :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by heathereloise
Oh wow! How is 22 old??? That's not old! What did you think of the uni as a whole when you were studying politics? Any insight would be awesome :smile:

Haha, I know but the way my dad wants me to get on with it would make you feel as if you're 26 haha! Leeds is an awesome place. Very lively city-style campus feel to it. If you're coming from London like I did/am, you will be use to it. it's cool having so many people you're age with more freedom, the same as any other uni. You do find a lot of weird people there, but obviously lots of similar people too. I play a lot of sport and am very serious about it, and all sports clubs are cool, but if you don't play a sport, I would definitely encourage you to join any other society of interest during the freshers fair. Get involved. I didn't bother doing this as i relied on my cricket and still managed to make tons of mates that way, but I will definitely make another effort when i go back to branch out more.

Nightlife is amazing, gym is amazing, awesome campus. Politics workload is far, far less than Law so that will be the biggest change for me. Ask if you have any questions. Any idea of halls, or are you waiting to get accepted and all first?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by BCcfc92
Haha, I know but the way my dad wants me to get on with it would make you feel as if you're 26 haha! Leeds is an awesome place. Very lively city-style campus feel to it. If you're coming from London like I did/am, you will be use to it. it's cool having so many people you're age with more freedom, the same as any other uni. You do find a lot of weird people there, but obviously lots of similar people too. I play a lot of sport and am very serious about it, and all sports clubs are cool, but if you don't play a sport, I would definitely encourage you to join any other society of interest during the freshers fair. Get involved. I didn't bother doing this as i relied on my cricket and still managed to make tons of mates that way, but I will definitely make another effort when i go back to branch out more.

Nightlife is amazing, gym is amazing, awesome campus. Politics workload is far, far less than Law so that will be the biggest change for me. Ask if you have any questions. Any idea of halls, or are you waiting to get accepted and all first?

ahahaha poor you! I can't wait to get there. I will be coming from Barbados (a tiny island in the Caribbean) so this will all be totally new for me. I am really looking forward to the whole thing. In terms of sports, I am an equestrian and my particular area is show jumping so I will definitely by joining the riding club. So hopefully will get to meet a few people there. I'm definitely going to try other clubs and societies. I can't wait to meet all the different people at uni! :smile:

In terms of work load, how much was the work load for politics just so I know what i can base the law work load off of. I just know it is going to be a lot! For university accommodation I like Central Village (along with everyone else), Concept Place, Sentinel Towers and James Baillie Park. What about you? Im waiting for them to update the system so I can log on and put in my application for accommodation.

Questions? Ummmmmm, I can't think of any specific ones just yet. Oh, where did you stay in your first year at uni?
Reply 7
Have you been to the UK much? I need to go to Barbados at some point. Maybe a cricket tour or something.

Politics workload was minimal to be honest. Lots of extra reading on top of 4-8 contact hours a week that many people didn't do, then it was a case of knuckling down before exams/essays.

Law will be different. Expect 20+ hours a week and plenty to do in the library for a couple of extra hours.

I lived in James Baillie in first year and it was OK. Private housing second and third year. Want to go back to halls next year at Charles Morris because it is the best in my opinion. Right next to all lectures and gym... just need to find somewhere to park the car, as it is rammed around there during the day
Reply 8
I've been a few times. went up recently to look at a couple of the unis and fell in love with Leeds. You should come to barbados! They have cricket tours down here all the time. Especially now that its winter up in the UK.

Ok wow. I know it'll be a lot of work but I think its still going to be a big shock when I actually start.

What made James Baillie only OK?
Reply 9
I've been a few times. went up recently to look at a couple of the unis and fell in love with Leeds. You should come to barbados! They have cricket tours down here all the time. Especially now that its winter up in the UK.

Ok wow. I know it'll be a lot of work but I think its still going to be a big shock when I actually start.

What made James Baillie only OK?

I think just that the people were from a little bit of a different background and maybe I just got a bit unlucky with my flat/floor. You get put in literally at random!
Original post by BCcfc92
I think just that the people were from a little bit of a different background and maybe I just got a bit unlucky with my flat/floor. You get put in literally at random!

Ahhh, I gotcha! Well my fingers are crossed for good people and in turn a good flat.
Same here, it's like hogwarts in some parts but then really modern in others :') what halls are you thinking of applying for? I quite like central village but heard it's really difficult to get into, so I'm gonna look at Leodis and opal 3 on the accommodation day :smile:
Original post by BCcfc92
Have you been to the UK much? I need to go to Barbados at some point. Maybe a cricket tour or something.

Politics workload was minimal to be honest. Lots of extra reading on top of 4-8 contact hours a week that many people didn't do, then it was a case of knuckling down before exams/essays.

Law will be different. Expect 20+ hours a week and plenty to do in the library for a couple of extra hours.

I lived in James Baillie in first year and it was OK. Private housing second and third year. Want to go back to halls next year at Charles Morris because it is the best in my opinion. Right next to all lectures and gym... just need to find somewhere to park the car, as it is rammed around there during the day

I'm thinking of applying to Leeds as my first choice for September 2015, is Law a big jump from A Levels, some people tell me its a lot less difficult (I study AS History, French, English Lit and Politics). Also, which is the best accomodation hall (affordable self catered ensuite) :smile: Also, how are you doing - are you in your second year? :biggrin:DD
Original post by yasminzaracc
I'm thinking of applying to Leeds as my first choice for September 2015, is Law a big jump from A Levels, some people tell me its a lot less difficult (I study AS History, French, English Lit and Politics). Also, which is the best accomodation hall (affordable self catered ensuite) :smile: Also, how are you doing - are you in your second year? :biggrin:DD

I've not started yet... I'm planning to do the accelerated 2 year course for previous non-law graduates from Sept 2014. I'm not sure about the difficulty. Law will be demanding without being ridiculous, I think. Maybe just lots of work but not always that difficult?

Have a look on the uni accommodation section and it will have tons of information on all of the halls. There are plenty of en-suite catered halls, but of course, they will be more expensive. Devonshire and Charles Morris spring to mind, on the higher end. I'd have a look at them all and decide what's best from there.
Same here, it's like hogwarts in some parts but then really modern in others :') what halls are you thinking of applying for? I quite like central village but heard it's really difficult to get into, so I'm gonna look at Leodis and opal 3 on the accommodation day :smile:

So true! That is definitely one way to describe it :smile: I really like Central Village (along with everyone else lol) and I also like Concept Palace, Sentinel Towers and James Baillie. Let me know what you think about those two when you go to visit. When are you going for the Open Day?
So true! That is definitely one way to describe it :smile: I really like Central Village (along with everyone else lol) and I also like Concept Palace, Sentinel Towers and James Baillie. Let me know what you think about those two when you go to visit. When are you going for the Open Day?

I will do, the accommodation day is march 22nd , are you going to the applicant open day?
:smile: Just got an offer for LLB Law from Leeds! :biggrin: maybe i'll see you guys in September :smile:
I will do, the accommodation day is march 22nd , are you going to the applicant open day?

Nope :frown: I live in Barbados and I travelled up in October to look at some unis and so I can't come again and still (hopefully) go up in September.
Original post by itsnatalie7
:smile: Just got an offer for LLB Law from Leeds! :biggrin: maybe i'll see you guys in September :smile:

Congratulations. How old are you, may I ask?

I will be 22, having taken a year off after my undergraduate degree and I'll be doing the accelerated graduate course which is only two years. It might be a little bit weird mixing in with 18 year olds, but really, what difference is 3/4 years? :tongue:
Original post by itsnatalie7

Congrats! Are you going to firm Leeds? If you don't mind me asking, what do they want you to get in your upcoming exams?

Quick Reply

Latest