The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry Textbook confusion

This is to do with: The standard enthalpy change of atomisation
Definition: The s.e.c.At of an element is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous atoms are formed from the element in its standard state.

The book changes the s.e.c.At value by a factor of a half or 2 for a reason I cannot work out.

In the OCR Chemistry 2 book pg 80/81 basically states that,
"This is another enthalpy change of at. , but this time half a mole of flurine <i>molecules</i>,1/2 F2 (g), are being converted into 1 mole of flurine <i>atoms</i>,F (g). This again is an endothermic change and it is equal to half the bond enthalpy of F2.

1/2 F2 (g) ---> F (g) s.e.c.At. = 1/2(+159) = +79.5 kJ per mole"

This does not make sense according to the definition of S.E.C.At but if you consider the units kJ per mole we only use 1/2 mole to begin with.
But using this approach on the next page it says (in diagram)

CL2 (g) ----> 2Cl (g) and this is 2 times s.e.c.At.

Which makes sense if we say that we have made 2 moles of product rather that 1 as per definition. So if we divide both sides by 2 we should have the s.e.c.At according to the value given.
However this gives

1/2 CL2 (g) ---> Cl (g) .....look familiar

Apparently this should be 1/2 s.e.c.At value. This is also reiterated in SAQ 9.4. Whereas I think this should give the whole value of s.e.c.At.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is something to do with "formed from the element in its standard state".

PAul
ps it says "it is important that you know the Born-Haber cycle for NaCl so make sure you have done SAQ 9.4 and checked your answer" obviously I got the wrong answer.
Reply 1
UnderPressure
This is to do with: The standard enthalpy change of atomisation
Definition: The s.e.c.At of an element is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous atoms are formed from the element in its standard state.

The book changes the s.e.c.At value by a factor of a half or 2 for a reason I cannot work out.

In the OCR Chemistry 2 book pg 80/81 basically states that,
"This is another enthalpy change of at. , but this time half a mole of flurine <i>molecules</i>,1/2 F2 (g), are being converted into 1 mole of flurine <i>atoms</i>,F (g). This again is an endothermic change and it is equal to half the bond enthalpy of F2.

1/2 F2 (g) ---> F (g) s.e.c.At. = 1/2(+159) = +79.5 kJ per mole"

This does not make sense according to the definition of S.E.C.At but if you consider the units kJ per mole we only use 1/2 mole to begin with.
But using this approach on the next page it says (in diagram)

CL2 (g) ----> 2Cl (g) and this is 2 times s.e.c.At.

Which makes sense if we say that we have made 2 moles of product rather that 1 as per definition. So if we divide both sides by 2 we should have the s.e.c.At according to the value given.
However this gives

1/2 CL2 (g) ---> Cl (g) .....look familiar

Apparently this should be 1/2 s.e.c.At value. This is also reiterated in SAQ 9.4. Whereas I think this should give the whole value of s.e.c.At.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is something to do with "formed from the element in its standard state".

PAul
ps it says "it is important that you know the Born-Haber cycle for NaCl so make sure you have done SAQ 9.4 and checked your answer" obviously I got the wrong answer.

no, the book is right, it does it by moles of atoms, in Cl2 there are 2 atoms
hey, I got confused with this, and I personally think the book has made a fault.

Figure 9.1 is directly similar to SAQ 9.4.

Ok consider step 3 of Figure 9.1.

- You have 1/2F2g which is the same as saying you have 1/2(F - F)g.
- You only want to atomise 1 MOLE of F atoms but F2 has two atoms.
- Therefore, if you have ONE MOLE OF FLOURINE MOLECULES you technically have TWO MOLES OF FLOURINE ATOMS.
- You want to end up with 1 MOLE OF flourine ATOMS by atomisation.
- THEREFORE YOU MUST 1/2 the s.e.c.At value to produce ONE MOLE OF GASEOUSATOMS and thus defines the rule of s.e.c.At

Ok, now consider Figure 9.2.

- You have Cl2g
- You want to atomise chlorine to form 2 MOLES OF CHLORINE ATOMS
- You already have 2 CHLORINE ATOMS to start with in Cl2
- THEREFORE, if you have ONE MOLE OF CHLORINE MOLECULES, you technically have TWO MOLES OF CHLORINE ATOMS
- You want to end up with 2 MOLES of chlorine ATOMS by atomisation
- THEREFORE SURELY YOU HAVE TO ATOMISE THE CHLORINE MOLECULE ONCE TO GIVE YOU TWO MOLES OF CHRLOINE GASEOUS ATOMS!???????????? But the book says you atomise it twice???

The only possible explanation is that they are atomising s.e.c.At[Cl] and not s.e.c.At[Cl2]
Reply 3
I guess fig 9.2 must be a mistake but it says on pg81, i've just noticed, that" one other difference to remember is that two Cl- ions are present in MgCl2, hence 2s.e.c.At is requiredin the B-H cycle for MgCl2"
Now that's confusing.

So is
1/2 Cl2 (g) ----> Cl (g) = s.e.c.At value or half of it.

and how is the above different from

1/2 F2 (g) ---> F (g) s.e.c.At. = 1/2(+159) = +79.5 kJ per mole

I'm not making any silly mistakes am I like missing out numbers?

UP
Reply 4
the worst mistake i've seen is in the OCR transition metals book where its labled potassium dichromate and chromate the wrong way around in a picture showing the colours of both

Latest

Trending

Trending