The Student Room Group

Anyone has or had a Toyota Hilux or a Mitsubishi L200?

Anyone here had one of these 2 pickups or driven them or had some experiences operating them?

Which one had better on road performance and had less issues in terms of reliability and parts availability.
Original post by Alfissti
Anyone here had one of these 2 pickups or driven them or had some experiences operating them?

Which one had better on road performance and had less issues in terms of reliability and parts availability.

I thought the Hilux had a reputation these days for being indestructible.
Reply 2
top gear loves the hilux

and all my info is based on TG lol

so get the hilux
@OP: Ford Ranger?
Reply 4
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I thought the Hilux had a reputation these days for being indestructible.

Those were the older ones. Newer ones doesn't quite come with the same reputation.

Original post by jusdorange
top gear loves the hilux

and all my info is based on TG lol

so get the hilux

That one was a model from nearly 30 years ago.

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
@OP: Ford Ranger?

That was looked at but wasn't selected as the 3.2l version was simply too thirsty. The 2.2l was a bit underpowered and thirstier than the ones we short listed. Also my workers complained the on road ride is as harsh as the Land Rover Defender that this pickup is supposed to replace.
Reply 5
Depends what you want it for really. If it's going to spend that much time on road you're probably better off looking at a big van. If it's going to spend most of the time off road I'd stick with the Defender :p:
Reply 6
Original post by Nuffles
Depends what you want it for really. If it's going to spend that much time on road you're probably better off looking at a big van. If it's going to spend most of the time off road I'd stick with the Defender :p:

Off-road probably 20-30% the problem with using a van for this job is the soft mud and a steep slope that makes it difficult to climb.

Also we are getting rid of the Defender as it is also too thirsty and underpowered for the work it needs to do especially when you hitch a trailer.
I've driven the Hilux from the Top Gear polar special in the desert and it was bloody awful.
Reply 8
Original post by CaptainDudeson
I've driven the Hilux from the Top Gear polar special in the desert and it was bloody awful.

In what way was it awful?

Can you jog my memory a bit, which version of Hilux was used in that episode as I don't recall that episode.
In what way was it awful?

Can you jog my memory a bit, which version of Hilux was used in that episode as I don't recall that episode.

The one below. It was crap in sand ****ty quality. Dirty filthy plastic everywhere and the engine was filthy and horrible too. Bloody diesel rubbish.
images.jpg
Reply 10
Off-road probably 20-30% the problem with using a van for this job is the soft mud and a steep slope that makes it difficult to climb.

Also we are getting rid of the Defender as it is also too thirsty and underpowered for the work it needs to do especially when you hitch a trailer.

Which Defender are we talking about here? The 2.0L Puma engine as used across the Ford Transit range has a reputation as being a great engine, and I can't see it being less economical than anything you're going to get in a Toyota or anything else. The TD5 and the 200/300Tdi engines are also brilliant. The Defender is also rated to tow 3.5t braked which is fairly impressive, and not something a lot of other 4x4s will match.
Reply 11
I've driven both but not extensively unfortunately. The Hilux was a lot newer than the L200 but they both seemed to be standing up fairly well, as they were both given a fair amount of abuse working on a farm. I'm guessing you're looking at something fairly new?
Reply 12
Original post by CurlyBen
I've driven both but not extensively unfortunately. The Hilux was a lot newer than the L200 but they both seemed to be standing up fairly well, as they were both given a fair amount of abuse working on a farm. I'm guessing you're looking at something fairly new?

Looking for something new.

Original post by Nuffles
Which Defender are we talking about here? The 2.0L Puma engine as used across the Ford Transit range has a reputation as being a great engine, and I can't see it being less economical than anything you're going to get in a Toyota or anything else. The TD5 and the 200/300Tdi engines are also brilliant. The Defender is also rated to tow 3.5t braked which is fairly impressive, and not something a lot of other 4x4s will match.

It's a 2.2l 2012 model.
Mitsubishi 2.5l Automatic. This so far has been better than the Defender both empty and laden at least 7-10% better
Toyota Hilux 3.0l Automatic. Laden it is better than the Defender by 3-5% when empty it's around the same.

and now we are also considering an Isuzu D-Max 2.5l Automatic. Can also tow 3500kg though the max we need to move is 2000kg only, so far this one is returning the best fuel consumption. Pity the pricing though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending