The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
always rated sakho.
of course he has needed time to adjust to english football, but he's an absolute beast, and i would be happy with him as one of our regular CBs next year.
the only negative is that he is sometimes a little nervous on the ball in defence, and he isn't as good attacking wise as the beast that is martin skrtel :wink:

P.S: liking your fancy choices for new fonts

Tbh his one or two nervous moments with the ball today(which are rare anyway, don't happen in most games) are to be expected in this Rodgers team, are yet to cost us, are not entirely of his own making (he should indeed have done better when he lost the ball in the first half today, but Flanagan passed to his right foot and not his left, and that did allow the attacker to close in), and only overshadow his otherwise good performances.

I do think that he wasn't as good in the air today as those stats show - there was one or two occasions where he could possibly have done better when the ball was crossed in.

Haha, what happens is that I copy and paste stuff from somewhere else and then the font changes randomly for some reason.
always rated sakho.
of course he has needed time to adjust to english football, but he's an absolute beast, and i would be happy with him as one of our regular CBs next year.
the only negative is that he is sometimes a little nervous on the ball in defence, and he isn't as good attacking wise as the beast that is martin skrtel :wink:

P.S: liking your fancy choices for new fonts

definitely - the two games in hand that city have on us are west brom and aston villa at home.
of course 6 points are expected from those, however if city drop any points before the end of the season, it makes it incredibly good for us.
5 clear of chelsea, 3 clear of city.
excellent, however it could all go pear shaped with a loss to chelsea next week :/

sterling has been our star man in a fair amount of games - surely he must be starting for england in the world cup?!
yeah, carragher will be gutted to miss out on a medal, but he wouldn't have been playing this season anyway; he's a great pundit though!

i think the palace match will be the moment.
if we can get through city, palace will be the team to potentially ruin it all for us.

i can't see us bottling it against newcastle.
last game of the season, a win to give us the title, at anfield against a side with a holiday mindset.
that's a banker if i've ever seen one.

Yeah agree with first bit so much, Sakho always looks really nervous in possession and played a couple of balls that put us under pressure. Otherwise he's become a great addition to the first XI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope Sakho becomes more confident when having possession of the ball and in passing it, he looked shaky at times. But I guess as time goes on he'll become better, afterall he had a stop start season this year and is still getting used to the PL.

I still think Agger should be brought back in for the game vs Chelsea, he'll be much more calmer in the big game and he'll be able to read the game much better. As soon as he came on today he helped sort our defence out and Norwich didn't have many chances bar the Wolfswinkel (I dunno how to spell his name) header.
Reply 9663
Original post by matchdayG
Tbh his one or two nervous moments with the ball today(which are rare anyway, don't happen in most games) are to be expected in this Rodgers team, are yet to cost us, are not entirely of his own making (he should indeed have done better when he lost the ball in the first half today, but Flanagan passed to his right foot and not his left, and that did allow the attacker to close in), and only overshadow his otherwise good performances.

I do think that he wasn't as good in the air today as those stats show - there was one or two occasions where he could possibly have done better when the ball was crossed in.

Haha, what happens is that I copy and paste stuff from somewhere else and then the font changes randomly for some reason.

definitely - when you play a passing system like us, you're gonna lose 3-5 goals per season simply from losing possession in your half by individual error. very difficult to avoid, so i'm not too frustrated that is has happened to us (re kolo :frown: )

yeah definitely, but the fact is that we won the game.
we got the point that we desperately needed and we just ground out the match the way champions always do - it's a good sign.
just hoping we improve second half performances by next week.

Original post by Endless Blue
Yeah agree with first bit so much, Sakho always looks really nervous in possession and played a couple of balls that put us under pressure. Otherwise he's become a great addition to the first XI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think the good thing there is that it isn't core quality he needs to improve, it's just the psychological aspect of having the ball.
that is something rodgers can work with him to improve and make him more comfortable in possession.
technically, he is an excellent player, absolute beast in the air defensively which is what we lack imo.
I've been made the deal that if we win this season, i'm going to 'pool to see the tour bus come home!

We can NOT bottle this now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9665
It is likely tbh, I reckon Barca might pip us to him though

I think Barca will go for Wilshere tbh. More their style of knobhead
If we beat Chelsea, we'll only need 1 point from the last 2 games?
definitely - when you play a passing system like us, you're gonna lose 3-5 goals per season simply from losing possession in your half by individual error. very difficult to avoid, so i'm not too frustrated that is has happened to us (re kolo :frown: )

yeah definitely, but the fact is that we won the game.
we got the point that we desperately needed and we just ground out the match the way champions always do - it's a good sign.
just hoping we improve second half performances by next week.

i think the good thing there is that it isn't core quality he needs to improve, it's just the psychological aspect of having the ball.
that is something rodgers can work with him to improve and make him more comfortable in possession.
technically, he is an excellent player, absolute beast in the air defensively which is what we lack imo.

Kolo's our fourth choice defender, and also the weakest on the ball. It's not surprising that he made that gaffe tbh. He was a bit unlucky there as well actually Anichebe was hidden well. I don't think you can put it into numbers like 3-5 goals a season - I can't think of another goal where passing it out the back has lead to an opposition goal. Defenders get caught on the ball, or misplace a pass, it happens in all systems. We've actually done remarkably well as a team this season at passing out from the back, and it's because of Rodgers setting the foundations last year. Rodgers has instructed them to do it, and if we concede a goal or two directly from it (I don't even think Kolo's mistake was a direct result of this football philosophy, it was just as a result of him being our weakest player, and Anichebe being hidden), then so be it.

Also, I do think there are things that Sakho can improve upon technically. He was very hesitant to use his right foot when he got mugged off today, it was the inability with the right foot which was the cause of the problem. It's also why Rodgers hasn't played him at RCB, the bread and butter pass out to the fullback would be a risk and not a blindfold job.
Original post by Obiejess
I've been made the deal that if we win this season, i'm going to 'pool to see the tour bus come home!

We can NOT bottle this now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to pool for the last day, probably just find a good pub and soak up the atmosphere.
I'm going to pool for the last day, probably just find a good pub and soak up the atmosphere.

Same.

I imagine they'll have it on the big screen somewhere as well.
Reply 9670
So we get CL next season mathematically. The same day that Utd mathematically cannot get CL next season.
Original post by Mackay
I'm so chuffed with today. Raheem was incredible - he is brimming with confidence. I feel for Carragher having to analyse it all - he must be gutted he didn't stay on another year.

I still think a defining moment is to come...whether it is next week or not, who knows, but there's a few twists and turns still to come.

Tbh I think our season would've been very different if Carragher had stayed. He would've been ahead of Skrtel who's scored loads of important goals and our backline would've been deeper to cover his lack of pace.

2 interceptions, 11/11 clearances, 7/7 headed clearances & 3/4 ariel duels. 95% pass completion with 32 going forward.

Mamadou Sakho today.

Stats don't show everything. He was poor at times on the ball/with his pace which put us under more pressure. Him and Johnson were the worst culprits along with Mignolet being shakey today.

Original post by nastynas
If we beat Chelsea, we'll only need 1 point from the last 2 games?

That's probably to finish ahead of Chelsea. Man City, if they win their 2 games in hand, are only 3 points behind us so we'd need 4 from our last 2 games, even if we beat Chelsea.
Original post by mr tim
So we get CL next season mathematically. The same day that Utd mathematically cannot get CL next season.

:biggrin:

We can't finish lower than third now! :smile:

What a job Brendan's done. I'd have laughed if somebody said we'd be five points clear of second with three games to go at the beginning of the season. Incredible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know Mourinho will just get his attacking midfield trio to press us high up the pitch and lump crosses into the box since Mignolet is flapping.
Reply 9674
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh I think our season would've been very different if Carragher had stayed. He would've been ahead of Skrtel who's scored loads of important goals and our backline would've been deeper to cover his lack of pace.

Oh, yeah I agree - just think it's such a shame for him. I still get paranoid about Skrtel's defending at corners to be honest.
Original post by Mackay
Oh, yeah I agree - just think it's such a shame for him. I still get paranoid about Skrtel's defending at corners to be honest.

Well tbh he picked when he wanted to retire and he's won plenty of trophies already. I think Gerrard would've regretted no league medal since plenty of other teams (like Chelsea most notably) came in for him or would've bought him so he could've gone to another team to win the league.

Carragher, as great as a defender he was, no one really came in for him? So it wasn't really like he missed out per say?
Original post by Mackay

I'm glad he retired. I wanted him to leave with grace ever since kenny took charge. Easily as good as toure+1
Just my thoughts from being at Carrow Road today:

We started absolutely brilliantly; Sterling's goal was fantastically struck and imo really shows how his game has developed and, more importantly, how his confidence has improved. Again, he set up the second well although Norwich's defended awfully for that goal.

By way of contrast, we came out very poorly in the second half. After they scored the first we soaked up a lot of pressure for a good ten minutes and I was genuinely worried we'd concede again; this was the period that our defence looked most shaky and we were just hoofing the ball back to their full backs, inviting another wave of pressure. Fortunately Sterling got his second against the run of play, another great run despite the serendipity that surrounded the finish.

Johnson was good going forward but ****ing useless defensively, especially second half. Norwich evidently realised this because they channelled all their attacks down that flank and for one attack Johnson was miles out of position and rather than closing Redmond down as he was coming into the box, he loitered on the edge of the area which pulled Skrtl across out of position, freeing up space in the box. I'm still not convinced by Flanagan yet, either so hopefully we can bring in a better LB for next season.

I also think we missed Hendo a lot in midfield today, which might prove more important against Chelsea. Lucas was very poor imo - offered nothing going forward (including missing a sitter set up by Suarez right at the end), little defensively and conceded a lot of fouls in dangerous areas. If we were going to concede another against Norwich it was going to be a set piece goal. Allen had a pretty decent game though, I think, and I can see why Brendan likes him.

Gerrard sat very deep, especially when we were in possession which helped Sakho out a lot when he didn't know where to pass the ball. Again, it shows how successful BR has been in adapting his role. Suarez was pretty anonymous in the second half but as any great striker the chance he got, he took.

Finally, we pressed very high and crowded them out of the midfield which gave Sterling et al a lot of space to break into, which was key for us I think.

Not the best game we've played but the performance was characteristic of a title-winning team imo, Norwich threw absolutely everything at us and we came out on top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Sterling goal... :coma:
am i the only one that thinks that sterling runs like he has arthritis

Latest