The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Computing and IT - not sure whether to apply. Any help?

I'm thinking about applying for a Cert HE in computing with the OU for February, but my time limit for deciding is growing shorter and I'm honestly not sure what to do. I currently work around 30-35 hours per week on a varying shift basis, so some days, some nights and I'm not sure whether I'll have enough time to study, or whether I'll actually be able to keep up with the work load.

I'm 21 now and have been out of education since I was 17, as I dropped out of a computing BTEC in college because of depression. Since then I've done nothing in the way of study and I'm just wondering how many hours per week I'd have to set aside each week. I know the guideline is 16 hours for 60 credits per year, which is what I'd be doing, but is there anybody here who's actually done this course? I've heard varying opinions on this. Tu100 in the first year module I believe.

Any input would be appreciated because right now the idea scares the living hell out of me. I'm fairly competent with computers as far as hardware and software go, but programming is still relatively new to me, so I imagine these components would eat into my time more than anything else. :frown:
Reply 1
On average I doubt I've spent near 16 hours a week studying for 90 credits. Sure, the weeks around deadlines and exams I might sometimes have done 20 hours of work a week, but there were plenty of weeks where I did absolutely nothing. I worked 37-40 hours a week throughout my whole degree, studying 90 credits for 3 years and 60 in my final year. TU100 is fairly basic so if you already are pretty comfortable with computers I reckon you'll be fine. You only need to get 40% to pass, remember. There isn't much programming in TU100 as far as I'm aware, and certainly nothing too complex.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
That's a little comforting to know. I'd still love to hear from somebody who's actually done/doing this course. Thanks for the input, though - don't want to sound rude.
Reply 3
There are quite a lot of TU100 threads if you search! Hopefully someone will pop by soon. I did M150 and T175 at the same time, which are the ones that were merged to create TU100 (with a few other additions of new material/removal of out of date material).
Reply 4
I'll be doing TU100 and MU123 this Feb , nothing to worry about

Quick Reply

Latest