The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OUSA are bullies

Is anyone else sick of the bullying of OU students by OUSA and mods on the OUSA forums?

I was bullied by a mod, so I complained about her, next thing I am banned and find myself in something akin to the Doctor Who serial 'Trial of a Timelord' having to defend myself against the valeyard.

I hate to say it, but I think they are picking on me because I am relatively young for an OU student, and I'm cool. How is it my fault they find themselves in their 50's/60's and dried up and nothing better to do with thier lives but endless extra degrees?

Get a husband dear and leave me the **** alone.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm 18 and with the OU (and cool!) but I tend to stay away from student unions as I find they are usually closed off organisations where everyone knows each other and doesn't like criticism or anything contrary to their beliefs. I had a terrible student union in college which didn't tell anyone about nominations for elections so only people within the union knew about it and when it came to the elections there was only one candidate (the incumbent) with no manifesto so they we obviously going to get it.

I think the OUSA has done some good things like working towards keeping printed materials (on my course I can now request printed audio transcriptions etc. because of it) and I like their store, so I don't think it is the worst but that just sounds quite bad (link to thread out of curiosity?). Maybe you should stand in the next election even if its just to 'rock the boat' a little. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Schrodingersfrog
Is anyone else sick of the bullying of OU students by OUSA and mods on the OUSA forums?

I was bullied by a mod, so I complained about her, next thing I am banned and find myself in something akin to the Doctor Who serial 'Trial of a Timelord' having to defend myself against the valeyard.

I hate to say it, but I think they are picking on me because I am relatively young for an OU student, and I'm cool. How is it my fault they find themselves in their 50's/60's and dried up and nothing better to do with thier lives but endless extra degrees?

Get a husband dear and leave me the f*** alone.

Schrodingersfrog,

Are you referring to the actions of mods on TSR, or somewhere else? It's not entirely clear.

If it is the actions of mods on TSR, then I'm afraid that we can't let you discussing mod actions outside of the Ask A Moderator forum (which is where I've moved this to on a temporary basis) :no:

OB
Original post by Origami Bullets
Schrodingersfrog,

Are you referring to the actions of mods on TSR, or somewhere else? It's not entirely clear.

If it is the actions of mods on TSR, then I'm afraid that we can't let you discussing mod actions outside of the Ask A Moderator forum (which is where I've moved this to on a temporary basis) :no:

OB

I was discussing actions of mods of OUSA forums - don't you lot start on me please!
Original post by HJ M
I'm 18 and with the OU (and cool!) but I tend to stay away from student unions as I find they are usually closed off organisations where everyone knows each other and doesn't like criticism or anything contrary to their beliefs. I had a terrible student union in college which didn't tell anyone about nominations for elections so only people within the union knew about it and when it came to the elections there was only one candidate (the incumbent) with no manifesto so they we obviously going to get it.

I think the OUSA has done some good things like working towards keeping printed materials (on my course I can now request printed audio transcriptions etc. because of it) and I like their store, so I don't think it is the worst but that just sounds quite bad (link to thread out of curiosity?). Maybe you should stand in the next election even if its just to 'rock the boat' a little. :smile:

Oh you should definitely stand in the next election! I think a big problem with OUSA are that the officers are all of similar ages and demographics - so even if they don't mean to many of their rules exclude everyone. The point of a student union should be to represent and offer support to students - OUSA appear to represent and support only their own clique and the OU.

Unfortunately I can't display a link since they take down every thread I post and delete my responses in threads merely for daring to show an opinion! But two forums where people at least attempt to complain are OUSA Matters and OUSA Q and A.

I'm quite sure Russia and China don't have such severe censorship as you get with OUSA!
Reply 5
I was discussing actions of mods of OUSA forums - don't you lot start on me please!

:lol:

No problem, thanks for clarifying. I'll move this back for you now. :smile:
Original post by Tortious
:lol:

No problem, thanks for clarifying. I'll move this back for you now. :smile:

Thanks
Reply 7
Oh you should definitely stand in the next election! I think a big problem with OUSA are that the officers are all of similar ages and demographics - so even if they don't mean to many of their rules exclude everyone. The point of a student union should be to represent and offer support to students - OUSA appear to represent and support only their own clique and the OU.

Unfortunately I can't display a link since they take down every thread I post and delete my responses in threads merely for daring to show an opinion! But two forums where people at least attempt to complain are OUSA Matters and OUSA Q and A.

I'm quite sure Russia and China don't have such severe censorship as you get with OUSA!

I meant you should stand :smile: but I might just give it a go to see how I do and perhaps I could even add some fresh perspective! Like I said I think they have done some great things, and are no way the worst SU, but I agree that there should be a little more diversity. :smile:
Original post by HJ M
I meant you should stand :smile: but I might just give it a go to see how I do and perhaps I could even add some fresh perspective! Like I said I think they have done some great things, and are no way the worst SU, but I agree that there should be a little more diversity. :smile:

I'm too smart to put up with the OU for another 2 years - I'm off to proper uni. I'd not only stand but give them what for if I was staying. But you must stand - I bet my life there has never been an 18 yr old OU rep (I doubt there has been anyone younger than 1.8 x 10^8 yrs old), you would literally be groundbreaking.
Reply 9

Get a husband dear and leave me the **** alone.

I am a moderator on the OUSA forums, I'm not a bully but totally agree with you. I've had countless arguments with other mods, they can't exactly ban me can they? There so up themselves although they are just volunteers

What forums you referring to by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjglen24
I am a moderator on the OUSA forums, I'm not a bully but totally agree with you. I've had countless arguments with other mods, they can't exactly ban me can they? There so up themselves although they are just volunteers

What forums you referring to by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The forums in general rather than a specific one. I am finding that mods follow me and start on me across the forums. One of them has even started trolling me on this site! Fortunately they have no powers here and I got their posts removed.

The trouble is there is a group who seem to have no empathy with anyone and insist on shouting you down or dismissing any of your views. They are clearly being trolls but they know the rules well enough to do it within the rules. It is not just me - the threads are removed now but on the OUSA matters forum some others were attempting to assert themselves and they were 'started on' too.

So I complianed about the mod who appeared to be a ringleader. She was not banned, either as a mod or a user. She then complained about me and I was instantly banned. It's worse than the masons or something. All the rules are there to protect the interests of OUSA, the OU and the moderators and none to protect the students.

Not only that but I can't get any representation on any issues from OUSA. They seem to do almost nothing at all for the students, provide no support, representation or services that I can see apart from the forums.

Endless never ending committees and assemblies and meetings and rules and procedures - none of them in the general students interests.

A certain group can troll away until their hearts are content with no fear. The slightest hint of a retaliation or self defense from anyone outside of this group and they just ban you.

They certainly did not like that fact that in my speaking up, it encouraged others to. So rather than have to change things to suit the students they are supposed to represent, they got rid of me instead.

They have really made me ill, and they don't give a damn. They appear to be just having endless committee meetings on ways to keep me out.

They are like North Korea or something.
The forums in general rather than a specific one. I am finding that mods follow me and start on me across the forums. One of them has even started trolling me on this site! Fortunately they have no powers here and I got their posts removed.

The trouble is there is a group who seem to have no empathy with anyone and insist on shouting you down or dismissing any of your views. They are clearly being trolls but they know the rules well enough to do it within the rules. It is not just me - the threads are removed now but on the OUSA matters forum some others were attempting to assert themselves and they were 'started on' too.

So I complianed about the mod who appeared to be a ringleader. She was not banned, either as a mod or a user. She then complained about me and I was instantly banned. It's worse than the masons or something. All the rules are there to protect the interests of OUSA, the OU and the moderators and none to protect the students.

Not only that but I can't get any representation on any issues from OUSA. They seem to do almost nothing at all for the students, provide no support, representation or services that I can see apart from the forums.

Endless never ending committees and assemblies and meetings and rules and procedures - none of them in the general students interests.

A certain group can troll away until their hearts are content with no fear. The slightest hint of a retaliation or self defense from anyone outside of this group and they just ban you.

They certainly did not like that fact that in my speaking up, it encouraged others to. So rather than have to change things to suit the students they are supposed to represent, they got rid of me instead.

They have really made me ill, and they don't give a damn. They appear to be just having endless committee meetings on ways to keep me out.

They are like North Korea or something.

Private message me, and I will deal with this for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjglen24
Private message me, and I will deal with this for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do thanks
So now OUSA are refusing to provide details of and the nature of the things I am supposedly accused of, holding a secret jury behind closed doors and blocking any attempt to defend myself. I asked the OU several times to help and they have refused.

It's truly unbelievable. No person I talk to outside the OU can believe it! - "but you are only telling them your side" I hear you cry, well yeah - I don't know OUSA's side! They wont tell me.

They just told me I will remain banned over Christmas, but the person I complained about (day's before they complained about me) will remain unbanned. Nice to see they are fair....

It's like Czarist Russia or something.
OUSA Forums are rubbish IMHO- pretty much dead.
Reply 15
Original post by Bleak Lemming

And strangely prone to OUTRAGE!!! at the oddest things... I've never found the atmosphere very pleasant so avoid posting wherever possible (though I do lurk sometimes; you can find out useful stuff).
Original post by Bleak Lemming

That's true - but only because they are run by ultra conservative stuffy farts who are stuck in the dark ages. They refuse any suggestions current users have for modernization.

The trouble is the forums are set up against the people who really need them (disabled, full time, mental health, over 60's, no experience of HE, socially isolated, minority groups etc.). That represents OUSA in general as well as the forums. They are not modern or forward thinking.

I'm not ageist, or in favor of positive discrimination but they need to get a couple of under 30's, couple of people from minority groups and at least 1 person with no academic experience previous to the OU on their board.
Original post by Persipan
And strangely prone to OUTRAGE!!! at the oddest things... I've never found the atmosphere very pleasant so avoid posting wherever possible (though I do lurk sometimes; you can find out useful stuff).

ain't that true! That's how come they are treating me so bad, I did nothing that would be considered in any way bad or unacceptable on this forum, but I did dare to express different opinions to them.
Reply 18
I think there are probably more OU/ OUSA forums than there are actual posts in them. They're pretty much dead, anyway.
Reply 19
Original post by jsp_1983
I think there are probably more OU/ OUSA forums than there are actual posts in them. They're pretty much dead, anyway.

I second that! The only really active forums I've seen on the OU are the careers one's and my TGF's are actually quite active :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest