The Student Room Group

Want to lose weight

Hey I'm a 18 year old female I am 5"7 and weigh 10st10pounds and I've just applied for the army, I'm wanting to lose at least a stone before going to basic training.
Would anybody know how I'd go about doing this, I live close to the gym which has rowing machine, crosstrainer, treadmill, weights etc.

I'm more focused on my stamina on running and my upper body strength how many reps would I do for what, and how many times recommended?? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Weight loss = calorie deficit

Stamina = something like C25K?

Upper body strength = I can't help you there as I focus more on full body calisthenics/yoga.

Best thing would be to check the stickies.
Reply 2
I'm not a professional or anything but it sounds like I had a similar physique to you but I have lost weight over the last few months.
I'd recommend interval training for 20 minutes, with a 10minute warm up beforehand. During the interval training run as fast as you can for 30seconds then break for 1 minute and repeat. Personally I like to use the cross trainer, but some use the treadmill or rower. This will improve your stamina, increase heart rate and help you burn fat faster than if you were just doing normal cardio.
This is just the advice my personal trainer gave to me and it seems to be working very well. Of course that is combined with having a healthy balanced diet.
When it comes to weights I just like to mess about on the different machines lol. I normally do 3 sets of 10-13 reps.

Hope that very simplistic advice helps at least a bit.
Well, I have recently discovered I have lost 2 inches off my waist (unknown how much that is in weight) but this is basically what I did everyday;

Breakfast (an apple) typically 5 days a week
Drink with the apple (either milk or squash)
Very rarely used to have cereal though.
Maybe a banana but I learned I could never eat them all before they turned black

Lunch (I am a uni student and Mondays are my only long days)
Typically, Pizza. I would buy the cheap pizzas and top them with pineapple, peppers and sweetcorn.
I would normally eat a couple of slices every couple of hours to keep my stamina up (make it last, you won't feel hungry and you will burn calories faster)

Other days were fairly short and would typically make it back before 2, here I cooked.
Some of my typical dinners;

1. Pasta salad (pasta, salad, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage and tomato) with a bit of blue cheese sauce to top it off (optional), ingredients included Blue cheese, cream, mayonnaise and pepper.
2. Quorn and salad wraps (Quorn chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cabbage) with some sweet chilli sauce thrown in. - Typically made 2, sometimes 3.
3. Quorn chicken fillet with some broccoli, peas,, potatoes and cauliflower topped with Gravy.

(I like to cook, although, I HATE cleaning!)
Although, it wasn't uncommon for me to buy a curry sauce (almost on a fortnightly/weekly weekend basis)..., mix in some pineapple and Quorn of some sort and have curry on the weekends...

Also, switch meat for non-meat high protein substitutes (if financially able), you burn twice as many calories digesting protein than fat, I believe you get 4 calories per gram of protein and 9 calories per gram of fat. However, since Quorn is almost entirely protein, you don't need to worry about it.

Exercise as often as you can, example, where I am currently on the second floor of my student accommodation, I find it is actually faster to take the stairs up and down from the ground floor than wait for the lift and wait for it to go back up.
If you have any spare time between A and B and know you can get there the long way round, do it.

Good luck. :biggrin:

EDIT:
My typical food bill varies between £30 and £40 a month, so, if this is within your budget, I would recommend it. =l
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, I did snack on chocolates and some homemade cake...
You are allowed to cheat every so often, even if it is just to treat yourself, although, I think in the last 3 months, I have had about 3-4 takeaways.

Nothing wrong with treating yourself a couple of times a week (a chocolate bar here, a takeaway there) just balance it out. =l

Worked for me. :smile:
Oh yeah, I forgot something I have been practicing (don't know how well it works though and I typically sleep in nothing but underwear);

Don't sleep in bed with your covers over you, leave them off. You will burn more calories in the night because your body will burn more calories trying to keep you warm.
If cold in the morning, put the heating on or stick a jumper/jacket on.
Reply 6
Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you physically can, ignore calories. Cut out all animal products. Exercise 20+ minutes a day. Get 8+ hours of sleep.

Simple.
Original post by aPx
Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you physically can, ignore calories. Cut out all animal products. Exercise 20+ minutes a day. Get 8+ hours of sleep.

Simple.

Vegetarian propaganda in disguise!
Too much fruit is too much sugar; simple.
Too many vegies is still nowhere near enough calories, and no one wants to cook brocolli for 20mins then cook some more because youre starving straight after.

You need a lean diet (cant believe i just said such a thing) lots of potatoes, rice, meat, whole eggs, milk (ofc veg too,) youre going to boot camp you need functional strength (core and nervous system) which requires calories to support it.

My approach would be to not go on a huge caloric deficit but rather maintain or even increase my intake whilst increasing practical strength (picking **** up, carrying more **** while walking and running up some big hills with a backpack.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Oh yeah, I forgot something I have been practicing (don't know how well it works though and I typically sleep in nothing but underwear);

Don't sleep in bed with your covers over you, leave them off. You will burn more calories in the night because your body will burn more calories trying to keep you warm.

Not sure if serious....
Reply 9
Original post by JuniorJellyJess
Hey I'm a 18 year old female I am 5"7 and weigh 10st10pounds and I've just applied for the army, I'm wanting to lose at least a stone before going to basic training.
Would anybody know how I'd go about doing this, I live close to the gym which has rowing machine, crosstrainer, treadmill, weights etc.

I'm more focused on my stamina on running and my upper body strength how many reps would I do for what, and how many times recommended?? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Ditto, as everyone else on the calories. I would focus on avoiding all starchy food such as bread. Milkshakes are a good re-hydrant and cereals, vegetable, fish and chicken as the staple meals.
Reply 10
Original post by Scienceisgood

Sounds good for army training, but not if you're a civilian.:curious:
Thanks everyone for the advice :smile: if anyone else would like to share their ideas then it'd be quite useful
Original post by JuniorJellyJess
Thanks everyone for the advice :smile: if anyone else would like to share their ideas then it'd be quite useful

What job have you applied for?

My advice would be to start training for your 1.5mile run. Don't worry too much about your weight just get your running times down and your distances up :smile:
I've applied to be a combat medical technician, and yeah that's fair enough
Original post by Nvmthename
Too many vegies is still nowhere near enough calories, and no one wants to cook brocolli for 20mins then cook some more because youre starving straight after.

You need a lean diet (cant believe i just said such a thing) lots of potatoes, rice, meat, whole eggs, milk (ofc veg too,) youre going to boot camp you need functional strength (core and nervous system) which requires calories to support it.

My approach would be to not go on a huge caloric deficit but rather maintain or even increase my intake whilst increasing practical strength (picking **** up, carrying more **** while walking and running up some big hills with a backpack.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too much fruit is not too much sugar. You can get enough calories eating just fruit and veg easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattBerry96
Too much fruit is not too much sugar. You can get enough calories eating just fruit and veg easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Enjoy your pure sugar diet.
Reply 16
Original post by Nvmthename

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha not sure if serious...

Don't eat more than one apple guys!!! Too much sugar!!! Everyone is suffering from heart disease, cancer and diabetes because they are eating too much fruit!
Reply 17
Original post by MattBerry96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn right. I eat more calories than most people do eating 90% fruits & veg.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

Enjoy your pure sugar diet.

Haha I'm not eating pure sugar or fruit. Just call people out when they are incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know why so many people apply BEFORE getting fit. That's the main reason recruits drop out is lack of fitness. The fitter you are before you go the easier it is.

Quick Reply

Latest