The Student Room Group

Meeting up with ex-girlfriend

Hi, desperately need some advice on a couple of different things. Grateful to anyone who can help. Sorry about this long post.

So a couple of weeks ago my girlfriend and I split up and of course I desperately want her back. I have tried my best not to contact her, but being the weak minded person I am I have lapsed a few times and send her a few texts. Also, I continuously hurt myself by looking at what she's getting up to on Facebook.

Now I haven't seen any incriminating evidence on there to suggest she's over me, but in her photos she seems to be having a good time, perhaps even enjoying her life without the stresses of our relationship. There isn't much to base this assumption off though. I might just be paranoid/being irrational.

In the texts that I have sent, I haven't mentioned anything about our relationship and she has responded every time (eventually). She hasn't however, in the three weeks we've been broken up, initiated a single text. Not even to ask how I am. Which I find quite emotionally detached, even shows a lack of respect. Particularly as our relationship lasted for almost three years.

Do you reckon she is trying to save herself from further pain by not contacting me and also not to give me false hope?

Last week we agreed to meet up and talk about everything. It was me who initiated this and suggested the date and time. This is happening very soon and I'm nervous about it.

Do you think just a simple drink in a pub would suffice? Or should I take her out to dinner as it will be after work?

Thanks again to anyone who responds.
I think a simple drink will suffice for the meet up, but may I add however, that she doesn't sound very nice. Even if she Was over your relationship, she could ask you how you are or make the effort to initiate communication.

I'm assuming she broke up with you? Did you ever hurt her feelings?

When you meet up with her, tell her how you feel.
If not then you might need to start getting out and enjoying yourself socially.
You've got to delete her off Facebook, that's what I did straight away because I knew I would torture myself seeing what they were up to, wondering who they were going out with, if they were seeing anyone knew. It also helps you stop obsessing about them, poring over their pictures etc.

I wouldn't recommend dinner, that's a bit date-ish. If you think things might get a bit emotional, I wouldn't recommend a pub...
Reply 3
Original post by Clyde-Bonnie94
I think a simple drink will suffice for the meet up, but may I add however, that she doesn't sound very nice. Even if she Was over your relationship, she could ask you how you are or make the effort to initiate communication.

I'm assuming she broke up with you? Did you ever hurt her feelings?

When you meet up with her, tell her how you feel.
If not then you might need to start getting out and enjoying yourself socially.

The weird thing is she's one of the nicest people I have ever met. Really sweet. And I guarantee she already knows how I feel.

I've never intentionally hurt her but we've been through some really hard times during our relationship; lots of stress, financial problems, family problems, insecurity on both sides, personality differences and even sexual incompatibility (my fault not hers). She's created barriers in her mind that she can't get passed to see a future with me. However, despite all of these problems we have a lot of similarities and got on so well.

Since coming back from university and starting work I haven't got much of a social circle anymore. This was also another problem in the relationship. One that I'm in the process of rectifying.
Reply 4
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You've got to delete her off Facebook, that's what I did straight away because I knew I would torture myself seeing what they were up to, wondering who they were going out with, if they were seeing anyone knew. It also helps you stop obsessing about them, poring over their pictures etc.

I wouldn't recommend dinner, that's a bit date-ish. If you think things might get a bit emotional, I wouldn't recommend a pub...

I have debated deleting her off Facebook. But it still says she is in a relationship.
I'm going to meet up with her first, see what happens and then if there's no hope for us, delete her and move on.

Things probably will get a bit emotional. If not a pub, then a bar?
Original post by Anonymous

Do you reckon she is trying to save herself from further pain by not contacting me and also not to give me false hope?

Yes I do. Also, if she's having low-points it wouldn't exactly be dignified to post a selfie on Facebook of her wearing an old pair of pyjamas weeping into a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

I don't think you're going to take the advice I'm about to give. But please think about it since it's based purely on a bad decision I made a few years ago. Don't meet her. You are not ready to talk about why this relationship ended with anything like objectivity. There are any number of things about this meeting that could cause you untold pain and make moving on harder. Apologise to her, say that you are having trouble getting over her, and that you feel like you need to leave things for a while. I'm sure she will understand.

If you really must get in touch with her to talk things over, for God's sake do it over the phone. Do you really want to have the neighbouring office Christmas party at Pizza Express stifle giggles whilst you break down in tears over crap brushcetta?

In your short message you accuse her of emotional detachment, disrespectful behaviour, and you imply heavily you want her back. I honestly believe if you keep this dinner date you'll end up making a fool of yourself. We don't let people drive when they're drunk because their judgement is impaired. Your judgement is impaired here. Talking things over can sometimes work (although I think you're better off making a clean break), but don't do it when your heart is still broken. This all feels very raw and it would be a kindness to yourself to instead go out with a friend or spend some time with your family. Right now, you're not ready for this.

I'm sorry to be blunt because I do feel for you, but I think you need some no-nonsense advice on this one.
She doesn't want to get back together. You need to get over it, delete her number and delete her off facebook.
Reply 7
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Yes I do. Also, if she's having low-points it wouldn't exactly be dignified to post a selfie on Facebook of her wearing an old pair of pyjamas weeping into a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

I don't think you're going to take the advice I'm about to give. But please think about it since it's based purely on a bad decision I made a few years ago. Don't meet her. You are not ready to talk about why this relationship ended with anything like objectivity. There are any number of things about this meeting that could cause you untold pain and make moving on harder. Apologise to her, say that you are having trouble getting over her, and that you feel like you need to leave things for a while. I'm sure she will understand.

If you really must get in touch with her to talk things over, for God's sake do it over the phone. Do you really want to have the neighbouring office Christmas party at Pizza Express stifle giggles whilst you break down in tears over crap brushcetta?

In your short message you accuse her of emotional detachment, disrespectful behaviour, and you imply heavily you want her back. I honestly believe if you keep this dinner date you'll end up making a fool of yourself. We don't let people drive when they're drunk because their judgement is impaired. Your judgement is impaired here. Talking things over can sometimes work (although I think you're better off making a clean break), but don't do it when your heart is still broken. This all feels very raw and it would be a kindness to yourself to instead go out with a friend or spend some time with your family. Right now, you're not ready for this.

I'm sorry to be blunt because I do feel for you, but I think you need some no-nonsense advice on this one.

Hi, thanks for your response. I do actually agree with you, I probably do need a clean break. My brain is telling me not to go, just to phone her up and have a talk with her. However, I can't turn down this opportunity to meet with her one last time and tell her what I truly think to her face.

Although I have been emotional about all of this. I'm not the type of person to break down and cry in front of her or anyone for that matter. My primary aim is to have a good time with her and to tell her everything I have gleaned from the relationship both positive and negative. To tell her that I plan to focus on myself for the foreseeable future and that I plan to become a better person with or without her.

My only problem is that I have next to no friends and I lost all of my interests and passions in life. These realisations about myself are actually just as bad a losing my girlfriend.
I can probably put across a side that might be similar to your ex: I broke up with my bf about 6 weeks ago and while my fb looks like I'm having an amazing time and really busy its because I have to keep myself busy else I'd be moping around and crying :colondollar: It probably looks to the outside world like I've completely moved on and while I am in the process of it, it still affects more than I'd care to admit :redface:.

I also don't reply to his texts really, I don't have anything to say to him, and I don't want to give him false hope (he'd get back with me if he could, he's made it very clear) and I also don't want to make it harder on myself.
Reply 9
I can probably put across a side that might be similar to your ex: I broke up with my bf about 6 weeks ago and while my fb looks like I'm having an amazing time and really busy its because I have to keep myself busy else I'd be moping around and crying :colondollar: It probably looks to the outside world like I've completely moved on and while I am in the process of it, it still affects more than I'd care to admit :redface:.

I also don't reply to his texts really, I don't have anything to say to him, and I don't want to give him false hope (he'd get back with me if he could, he's made it very clear) and I also don't want to make it harder on myself.

Thanks for your reply. I would imagine this is exactly how she is feeling. She's a very social person so she will have plenty of friends to see and talk to.

Can you say for absolute certainty you would never get back with your ex?
Did you talk about your break up with him afterwards or meet up?
Thanks for your reply. I would imagine this is exactly how she is feeling. She's a very social person so she will have plenty of friends to see and talk to.

Can you say for absolute certainty you would never get back with your ex?
Did you talk about your break up with him afterwards or meet up?

I definitely wouldn't, because I know it was the right thing to do in my case, your case might be completely different, obviously why you broke up has a massive impact on this...if you shagged someone else then probably not haha, if you went through a rough patch and didn't communicate well then maybe yeah you've got a shot.

I did meet up with him but only to give stuff back/get stuff back. The fact that she's willing to go for a drink with you is probably a positive. I wouldn't be going for drinks with my ex!
OP,

I seriously fear for you, simply because you're so vulnerable and open that you will be get hurt further in this.

I do, however, understand the "need" in your mind to go see her and clear the air.

I sense a lot of hope in your texts, and this is what you need to guard against. Don't have hope and expectation, cos the likelihood is, she isn't interested in getting back together.

If she isnt initiating any texts in 3 weeks, nor asking once how you are, then i guess her stance is set.

Best wishes.
Hi, desperately need some advice on a couple of different things. Grateful to anyone who can help. Sorry about this long post.

So a couple of weeks ago my girlfriend and I split up and of course I desperately want her back. I have tried my best not to contact her, but being the weak minded person I am I have lapsed a few times and send her a few texts. Also, I continuously hurt myself by looking at what she's getting up to on Facebook.

Now I haven't seen any incriminating evidence on there to suggest she's over me, but in her photos she seems to be having a good time, perhaps even enjoying her life without the stresses of our relationship. There isn't much to base this assumption off though. I might just be paranoid/being irrational.

In the texts that I have sent, I haven't mentioned anything about our relationship and she has responded every time (eventually). She hasn't however, in the three weeks we've been broken up, initiated a single text. Not even to ask how I am. Which I find quite emotionally detached, even shows a lack of respect. Particularly as our relationship lasted for almost three years.

Last week we agreed to meet up and talk about everything. It was me who initiated this and suggested the date and time. This is happening very soon and I'm nervous about it.

Do you think just a simple drink in a pub would suffice? Or should I take her out to dinner as it will be after work?

Thanks again to anyone who responds.

Assuming she is the one who ended it then her mind should be set-nobody ends a relationship of that length without having thought it through properly. Feelings from your end are still raw and if you meet her you're going to end up analysing everything she says.

It's a horrible feeling after a break up but what you don't need is to prolong it by chatting to her and looking at what she's up to. Delete her off your phone, FB, the lot-in time it does feel better but that time will arrive sooner by cutting contact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Midlander
Assuming she is the one who ended it then her mind should be set-nobody ends a relationship of that length without having thought it through properly. Feelings from your end are still raw and if you meet her you're going to end up analysing everything she says.

It's a horrible feeling after a break up but what you don't need is to prolong it by chatting to her and looking at what she's up to. Delete her off your phone, FB, the lot-in time it does feel better but that time will arrive sooner by cutting contact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically it was her yes, although we have mentioned breaking up a few times in the past. Our love for each other always kept us going and we both tried to overcome our problems.

Your right, I'm pretty sure her mind will be set, however, I still want to talk to her and actually see what's going on in that head of hers. There's a slim chance that she just needs space and time to be alone, to focus on just herself.

There's no way she won't still love me and miss me, but she has convinced herself that we can't be together in the long term due to all of our problems and differences. So she's doing whatever she can to move on. As soon as I've met up with her and discussed everything, I'll be doing what you have recommended - deleting her phone number and Facebook. Then getting on with my crappy life.
Technically it was her yes, although we have mentioned breaking up a few times in the past. Our love for each other always kept us going and we both tried to overcome our problems.

Your right, I'm pretty sure her mind will be set, however, I still want to talk to her and actually see what's going on in that head of hers. There's a slim chance that she just needs space and time to be alone, to focus on just herself.

There's no way she won't still love me and miss me, but she has convinced herself that we can't be together in the long term due to all of our problems and differences. So she's doing whatever she can to move on. As soon as I've met up with her and discussed everything, I'll be doing what you have recommended - deleting her phone number and Facebook. Then getting on with my crappy life.

Of course, feelings like love don't just dissipate in the space of a few weeks. Assuming you go ahead and meet her do make sure it is the one and only time as otherwise neither of you are being fair on yourselves.

I cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you put yourself first over the coming months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quiet pub!! Dinner too formal and quiet x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending