The Student Room Group

On Microgynon 30, can I stop taking it early to bring my period forward?

Basically, I don't want my period/time off the pill to clash with the Christmas holidays as I'll be spending time with my boyfriend and family, and it'll all just be incredibly inconvenient. I've only been on Microgynon for 16 days therefore I haven't had a break from my first pack yet, so I'm not entirely sure what the seven days without the pill is meant to be like for me.
I've figured out if I double-back the pills, my period is due two days before my mock GCSEs and if it's heavy (which I've heard it will be after double-backing) I'd rather not have to worry about my period during them.
The period I would have had if I weren't on the pill was due on the 6th, five days ago, and I had the regular symptoms (minor cramps, a few spots) but no blood, so I know a period is "waiting" for me, if you get what I'm saying?

Is it possible for me to skip the next five days of my pills in order to make my period come quicker and then make up for it afterwards, or would that be risky? Any advice would be brilliant, thank you!
Reply 1
Are you relying on it for contraception? If so, do not do this. You need to take at least 21 pills for it to be effective, so as you've only taken 16 you'll need to use condoms for 7 days after the break (and also not have had condomless sex recently).

But if you're ok for other contraception then you can - but it might still end up messing up your periods slightly.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Are you relying on it for contraception? If so, do not do this. You need to take at least 21 pills for it to be effective, so as you've only taken 16 you'll need to use condoms for 7 days after the break (and also not have had condomless sex recently).

But if you're ok for other contraception then you can - but it might still end up messing up your periods slightly.

Oh gosh, does it take 21 days?! I could have sworn my GP said it would be effective after only 7!
I've been relying on it for contraception so I won't skip them, thank you so much for replying!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Oh gosh, does it take 21 days?! I could have sworn my GP said it would be effective after only 7!
I've been relying on it for contraception so I won't skip them, thank you so much for replying!

It is effective after 7 days, but that assumes you'll be continuing to take it correctly. If you start to do anything other than what the instructions say, you don't get the contraceptive benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much as Juno said, if you stop taking it early, you won't be protected. You need to take a pill every day for at least 21 days to be protected for those days and your break week. You can take more and still be protected (hence being able to double up the packs) but not less because of how the hormones affect your body.

So your options are basically to take two or three packs in a row (with the potential risk of breakthrough bleeding) or just deal with having your withdrawal bleed on your break week. OR you could take extra pills from your next pack and not finish that pack (so say a weeks worth) so long as you've taken a minimum of 21 pills this is fine, but you need to make sure you are taking at least 21 pills each "cycle" to be fully protected, so having part of a pack means you'll have to count the amount you missed from the next pack to make sure it is at least 21. Alternatively you could keep hold of the pills and start a new full pack and have the part taken pack for if you want to delay your period again without doubling packs up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Pretty much as Juno said, if you stop taking it early, you won't be protected. You need to take a pill every day for at least 21 days to be protected for those days and your break week. You can take more and still be protected (hence being able to double up the packs) but not less because of how the hormones affect your body.

So your options are basically to take two or three packs in a row (with the potential risk of breakthrough bleeding) or just deal with having your withdrawal bleed on your break week.

Aah ​I see, thank you very much for your help! xxxx
Original post by Anonymous
Aah ​I see, thank you very much for your help! xxxx

See my edit for another option :smile:
Reply 7
Would this be the same even if you've been on the pill for 2 years?
Reply 8
Original post by Beth1914
Would this be the same even if you've been on the pill for 2 years?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it safe if I stop the 4 pill left .I just stop in the 17th pill just to have an early period. Pls i need help
Original post by mae_hussien2
Is it safe if I stop the 4 pill left .I just stop in the 17th pill just to have an early period. Pls i need help

Perfectly safe, yes - in that it won't do you any medical harm. You are in your ovulation window so should use alternative contraception.

Quick Reply

Latest