The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone know WHERE you get the internet vouchery thing from - I wanna be able to get my internet up and running ASAP...
University of York
York
Reply 61
The Finance Office in Market Square. They're open Monday-Friday, but expect a long queue :wink:
Reply 62
uTorrent wouldnt be able to get through, it will be blocked. The problem with torrents is they upload while you are downloading so create large amounts of bandwidth.
alastair
uTorrent wouldnt be able to get through, it will be blocked. The problem with torrents is they upload while you are downloading so create large amounts of bandwidth.

You can set maximum upload speed to 0 kb/s and still download (albeit at a very slow rate) with most clients, though, can't you?
Reply 64
Most people do not though, that is why the university blocks it.
Dez
Most people do not though, that is why the university blocks it.

Yup, I understand that they block peer to peer transferring I was just wondering if, hypothetically, it would be possible to get away with torrenting stuff if it weren't blocked. I guess that the point of this ssh tunneling business is to bypass the block, although I admit I was in way over my head during most of that conversation.

Presumably as long as you capped your maximum up and down speeds you could get away with it without people thinking 'holy christ, this guy is eating a lot of bandwidth'.
Reply 66
Possibly. I don't have much knowlege of tunneling beyond the basic concept, so I can't really give you any concrete idea about it.
Reply 67
Regarding bittorrent,

If you use azureus, you can enable the encryption option, and as long as you set up the university's proxy settings withing the program (which are on the student network services website), and set the transfer port to an open port (eg 22) the university will not be able to detect you using bittorrent as the connections will be encrypted and going through a port that the university does not block. The upside of this is that you dont need to set up any ssh tunelling. The downside is that you're not going to be using a forwarded port (which makes bittorrent run a bit slower), and then there's the possibility that this wont actually work when you get onto campus and try it out.

When i get bittorrent/limewire etc working when we arrive, i'll post a guide up :wink:

I should really change to computer science...
Whether they can work out what the traffic is or not it tends to be the amount of traffic going through the ssh that they will notice.

Port 22 isn't open either.
Reply 69
Happy Unicycling
Whether they can work out what the traffic is or not it tends to be the amount of traffic going through the ssh that they will notice.

Port 22 isn't open either.

im not sure i understand your first comment, if the data is encryted, they can't employ traffic shaping as they wont be able to find out what sort of packet is flying across the network (but they'll be able to see the IP address its trying to connect to) but yes a constant stream of encryted data would stick out if they were actively monitoring your connection!

i thought port 22 was open (as commented by laser on page 2) as its the default port for ssh/sftp connections, but i havent been on the campus yet, so i could be wrong, and if not, an other port would do
That is what I meant about the encrypted data yes. :p:
Reply 71
laser
The Finance Office in Market Square. They're open Monday-Friday, but expect a long queue :wink:

Oh I am so getting there as soon as it opens

I NEED MY INTERNET

*sobs*
Same place you go to pay rent and tuition if you aren't direct debiting btw.
jpiper

When i get bittorrent/limewire etc working when we arrive, i'll post a guide up :wink:

It seems that would be most welcome!

jpiper

I should really change to computer science...

It looks that way... :-)
Tonight Matthew
you plug your computer into the internet socket originally

TM, or anyone else, what type of connection is it? USB or Ethernet or what?
Reply 75
Ethernet. USB is for noobs.
And generally not for networking.
Ethernet. USB is for noobs.

I am no noob sir I do not like your tone and I'm not sure if perhaps you missed the memo but it's spelt 'nub' now so who is the real nub reflect on that why do not you.

And generally not for networking.

Quiet you! Unlike these gerds and neeks i actually HAVE A LIFE I am captain of the local tricycling team and a valuable contributor to society so I think we can safely say I have won this round.
Reply 78
Sure, I'll get right on that...
Posting on the inter-net is not reflecting I think you are lying and I wonder if perhaps I have made a mistake I expected to come to a university not a 'cathedral of deception' like such as that which has been being displayed in this thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending