The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Software Engineering (foundation year) opinions?

Hi guys, I recently applied to study Software Engineering with a foundation year and have so far received an offer from MMU and Oxford Brookes. I've applied to other Uni's as well but I'm very interested in MMU.

Oxford Brookes would be easier for me as I'm local to the area but the statistics for the same course didn't look good.. Is anyone studying Software Engineering at MMU? And what is it like if so?

I have heard negative things about MMU but I am an open minded person and would rather get actual advice and views from students. I do plan to also visit the Uni sometime next year before I make up my mind.

Thanks guys :biggrin:
Original post by SkittlesAreTasty
Hi guys, I recently applied to study Software Engineering with a foundation year and have so far received an offer from MMU and Oxford Brookes. I've applied to other Uni's as well but I'm very interested in MMU.

Oxford Brookes would be easier for me as I'm local to the area but the statistics for the same course didn't look good.. Is anyone studying Software Engineering at MMU? And what is it like if so?

I have heard negative things about MMU but I am an open minded person and would rather get actual advice and views from students. I do plan to also visit the Uni sometime next year before I make up my mind.

Thanks guys :biggrin:

From the open day I really dislike MMU, I felt it was very poorly organised in comparison to other universities. My personally opinion is that there are universities that entice students to love their subject, and those that just simply teach it. MMU is the latter in my opinion. Then again, there will be people that excel at any university! So if you are keen on Java, and like the city of Manchester then it may just be for you. Just compare the options that you have! Best wishes, I hope that it all works out for you.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by neildoherty
From the open day I really dislike MMU, I felt it was very poorly organised in comparison to other universities. My personally opinion is that there are universities that entice students to love their subject, and those that just simply teach it. MMU is the latter in my opinion. Then again, there will be people that excel at any university! So if you are keen on Java, and like the city of Manchester then it may just be for you. Just compare the options that you have! Best wishes, I hope that it all works out for you.

Thanks for your reply :biggrin: it really got me thinking. I'm heading up to Manchester on the 15th March and will be going to Oxford Brookes in the 8th March. Hopefully one Uni will stand out for me by then :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply :biggrin: it really got me thinking. I'm heading up to Manchester on the 15th March and will be going to Oxford Brookes in the 8th March. Hopefully one Uni will stand out for me by then :smile:

I'm going to MMU on the 15th march as well :smile:
Original post by David B
I'm going to MMU on the 15th march as well :smile:

Sorry for the late reply D: what did you think of the applicant day? :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry for the late reply D: what did you think of the applicant day? :smile:

Well after going to Hull university after MMU I can safely say that MMU was bad. The accommodation was a sh*thole mess everywhere and stinks. The course through sounded interesting and was pretty fun. But overall I'll never choose MMU.
You'll definitely have to go see it because I guess it would be attractive for some people since I saw students there :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending