The Student Room Group

What's more important to you? Intellectual compatibility or affection?

This poll is closed

Which would you rather date?

An intellectual person 4%
An affectionate person 38%
I need both intellect and affection58%
Total votes: 45
Would yo rather date someone who was intellectually compatible with you but wasn't affectionate to you or someone who was very affectionate to you but wasn't able to give you intellectual discussions?

I can't have one without the other, I would feel lonely without the affection and not stimulated without the discussions.

Scroll to see replies

Affectionate. Dating someone who isn't affectionate to me? :nah: Sounds dull.
Reply 2
Affection is far more important to me. I don't have to have deep talks about academic subjects with them - I can get that elsewhere. Without affection, however, there would be no relationship.
Reply 3
If i had to choose then i'd choose affection.
Reply 4
Bit of both.
or rather, I should'nt have to have crappy shows like x factor, and TOWIE
Reply 5
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Would yo rather date someone who was intellectually compatible with you but wasn't affectionate to you or someone who was very affectionate to you but wasn't able to give you intellectual discussions?

I can't have one without the other, I would feel lonely without the affection and not stimulated without the discussions.

If you're smarter than the other half, there's going to be carnage in discussion. There's always an unequal equilibrium with one being more controlling than the other, if you want affection more so, then that means y ar e the placator.:bawling:
boobs
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
Bit of both.
or rather, I should'nt have to have crappy shows like x factor, and TOWIE

You soft touch.
Reply 8
Original post by Tim2341
If you're smarter than the other half, there's going to be carnage in discussion. There's always an unequal equilibrium with one being more controlling than the other, if you want affection more so, then that means y ar e the placator.:bawling:

Are you saying the smarter person becomes more controlling?
Reply 9
Intellectual compatibility? didnt realist vulcans were real, probably think its illogical to be affectionate,

tbh I work with a couple of people who are miles more intelligent than me, but they are not like real people, socially awkward and dull

Affection all the way, once you start losing interest in someone the fact they are smarter than you will only add fuel to the flames lol
Reply 10
Probably intelligence, although obviously there needs to be some affection in there somewhere. I've actually got experience of this, I went out for around a year with someone who was really nice, but I was significantly more intelligent than. It worked fine at the start, but after a while it did get quite boring. After a while you just realise that all the discussions are just the same old rubbish she always talks, while you can't talk about what you want to because she won't understand it, and will be (unintentionally) dismissive of it for this reason. After a while, maybe because I'm a douche or whatever, I started unintentionally being a bit more derisive towards the things she was talking about, and would ask her stuff about things she obviously wouldn't understand. This continued for a while then she dumped me, which I admit I fully deserved.

But it goes to show that you need to be somewhat on an equal footing intellectually to have a functioning relationship :yep:
Affection 100%. I get intellectual stimulation from TV and books. When it comes to conversation, I find talking about something funny or memories to be most enjoyable.
Reply 12
Original post by Tim2341
You soft touch.

you definitely watch towie and x factor
Reply 13
affection
Affection all the way.
Affection. I can get my intellectual discussions with my friends or colleagues.
Reply 16
Original post by Maid Marian
Affectionate. Dating someone who isn't affectionate to me? :nah: Sounds dull.

As above, but OP seems to be giving us the option of intellectually compatible of behaviorally compatible, implying you wouldn't get on either way. :s-smilie:
I have this weird thing, it's so bad but I can't date someone who isn't intelligent. They've got to be smart, otherwise how am I supposed to converse with them if everything is just going to be basic, and thus dull imo? Plus, I have this huge issue with typing. If they're like "How r u?" or "Wat r u doing?", that really puts me off. I know it's a harsh thing to say, but I just can't stand it.

Oh well, everyone has this one thing that attracts them to people. Mine's intelligence.
An intellectual without affection is just a friend. I don't see how that would constitute a relationship either way
Original post by thatrollingstone
An intellectual without affection is just a friend. I don't see how that would constitute a relationship either way

I have affection for my male friends on TSR, but that doesn't mean I fancy them :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending