The Student Room Group

Most horrific executions in history.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rational Thinker
Does it content with this though?

No need to quote it each time!

You're probably right, but it's nice to include some more examples to expand the thread.
Original post by LukeM90
tbh I think anyone who abolishes punishment and suffering should be praised regardless of their background etc,

even though the prison system costs us, I'd rather that than have someones pain and suffering and inevitable death on my hands/concience

not to mention some people actualy attone and reform themselves , not that it makes their crimes ok but I believe most people deserve a second chance.

I agree.
Original post by chazwomaq
No need to quote it each time!

You're probably right, but it's nice to include some more examples to expand the thread.

The quotes were different. I agree it is good to expand.
(edited 10 years ago)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull gets my vote.

One gets placed into a brass metal model of a bull, which is then heated up with a flame underneath until the person burns to death.

Either that or pretty much anything the Japanese did in their experimentation camps.
The quotes were different. I agree it is good to expand.

My mistake, sorry.
Reply 25
To add some variety I think that crucifixions sound awful. It's not just the pain of being nailed to the cross but you're subject to the whims of the crowd, apparently some people were mutilated or had limbs broken and it took from a few hours to several days if you were unlucky. Never heard of the scaphism one before, that's pretty brutal.
Original post by KimKallstrom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull gets my vote.

One gets placed into a brass metal model of a bull, which is then heated up with a flame underneath until the person burns to death.

Either that or pretty much anything the Japanese did in their experimentation camps.

I wonder whether that would be more painful than burning at the stake, if such a diabolical sensation can be measured.

Oh yes, the Japanese army carried out some attrocities that were so grotesque, that they repelled Nazi attatches!
Original post by Flauta
To add some variety I think that crucifixions sound awful. It's not just the pain of being nailed to the cross but you're subject to the whims of the crowd, apparently some people were mutilated or had limbs broken and it took from a few hours to several days if you were unlucky. Never heard of the scaphism one before, that's pretty brutal.

Yes, the public humilation element is disturbing. Really I think what these punishments reveal is that the veneer of civilisation around most people is often very superficial.
Original post by euphrosyne
The murder of Emmet Till. I remember watching a documentary on it during class, I actually cried..

Edit: Oops, I was just giving an irrelevant example of a death during the US Civil Rights during the 50s/60s :innocent:

Yes, I have heard of that. Horrific crime.
Reply 29
In my opinon

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

2) Burned alive.

3) Immurement. This is being imprisoned and left to starve to death.

4) Being buried alive.

I just read scaphism and my god...

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a Discovery series called 'Machines of Malice', although in the UK it aired as 'Death Machines', which covered all the 'best' methods from history. It's a pretty interesting watch.

There are lots of clips on Youtube. Search 'Machines of Malice'
Reply 31
Yes, the public humilation element is disturbing. Really I think what these punishments reveal is that the veneer of civilisation around most people is often very superficial.

Indeed, some people can really be sadistic. Fortunate that these disgusting practices are gradually dying out and for those that believe in capital punishment we're moving towards executions that are [hopefully] painless and quick. Maybe the rest of them like stoning will soon go too, or is that just being too optimistic?
Original post by Umar1
I just read scaphism and my god...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I provided the link rather than commented upon it because I do not see how I accurately describe the horror it involved.
Original post by Flauta
Indeed, some people can really be sadistic. Fortunate that these disgusting practices are gradually dying out and for those that believe in capital punishment we're moving towards executions that are [hopefully] painless and quick. Maybe the rest of them like stoning will soon go too, or is that just being too optimistic?

I think stoning will only go when the archaic religious laws that hold it up die out. There are many good things about some religions but farcical supersitions such as that are not . As for most executions in many Western nations, yes are relatively but certainly not completely painless.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
There was a Discovery series called 'Machines of Malice', although in the UK it aired as 'Death Machines', which covered all the 'best' methods from history. It's a pretty interesting watch.

There are lots of clips on Youtube. Search 'Machines of Malice'

Sounds interesting even if it is a rather ostentatious title.
Reply 35
I think stoning will only go when the archaic religious laws that hold it up die out. There are many good things about some religions but farcical supersitions such as that are not . As for most executions in many Western nations, yes are relatively but certainly not completely painless.

I was under the impression that an anaesthetic was used prior to a lethal injection, although maybe that doesn't eliminate all pain? I'm still opposed to capital punishment regardless
Original post by Flauta
I was under the impression that an anaesthetic was used prior to a lethal injection, although maybe that doesn't eliminate all pain? I'm still opposed to capital punishment regardless

Pyschological pain perhaps?
Reply 37
Pyschological pain perhaps?

Oh I see what you mean know, yeah. The knowledge that you're going to be executed must be one of the most distressing feelings, and it goes on for years for some people on death row.
Original post by Flauta
Oh I see what you mean know, yeah. The knowledge that you're going to be executed must be one of the most distressing feelings, and it goes on for years for some people on death row.

Indeed. I thought this was quite an effective parody.
[video="youtube;Hyph_DZa_GQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ[/video]
Scaphism looks pretty grim.

The description of the execution of Robert-François Damiens in Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault is also rather unpleasant. Involved several stages of localised burning, molten metal torture, dismemberment and culminating in what was left of him being burnt at the stake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending