The Student Room Group

Most horrific executions in history.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rational Thinker
Indeed. I thought this was quite an effective parody.
[video="youtube;Hyph_DZa_GQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ[/video]

I'll watch it when I get back, I'm afraid I have to go and do some Christmas shopping now

oh and PRSOM :tongue:
Original post by russellsteapot
Scaphism looks pretty grim.

The description of the execution of Robert-François Damiens in Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault is also rather unpleasant. Involved several stages of localised burning, molten metal torture, dismemberment and culminating in what was left of him being burnt at the stake.

I agree.
I wonder whether that would be more painful than burning at the stake, if such a diabolical sensation can be measured.

Oh yes, the Japanese army carried out some attrocities that were so grotesque, that they repelled Nazi attatches!

Dracul, the count on which the Dracula character was based on, put off the Ottomans by impaling thousands of enemies on stakes and placing said stakes outside city walls. Some had the stakes up their backsides, some were placed on them upside down through the mouth and out the other end.

However apparently none were killed first...........

It did the trick. Ottoman forces turned right around at the sight of them.
Reply 43
I cann't remember the names

1) opening up the lower abdomen and removing the lower organs and placing them in a pot and them boiling them (a slow and painfully way to go)

2) the stake. the trick was to use the person weight to allow the stake to slowly work it's way up the body and out through the upper half. As the organs are moved out of the way a person could stay alive for quite some time

3) death by a thousand cuts
Reply 44
It is interesting that a common theme was that the worst crime one could commit was treason - this is even seen in the Christian tradition, where the ultimate crime of Beelzebub was to rebel against God himself. As such, the very worst punishments were often reserved for treason in its various forms - as well as regicides and petty treasons (killing one's master or liege, or a wife killing her husband or a clergyman killing his bishop), we can include things like patricide as well.

(1) Hanging, drawing and quartering in England. For reasons of public decency, women guilty of treason would be burnt at the stake instead (for a brief period, women found guilty of poisoning their husbands would be boiled alive, but this was never as popular as on the Continent).
(2) Slow slicing, also called 'death by a thousand cuts', or língchí in China until the early 20th century. I will not post it here for obvious reasons, but there is actually a photograph on Wikipedia (be warned, graphic and all that).
(3) The punishment (though not fixed) that became customary for French regicides, as described in reference to Robert-François Damiens by Michel Foucault in his book Discipline and Punish. The condemned had his flesh torn from him with pincers. The wounds had burning sulphur, molten lead, hot wax, and boiling oil poured in to them. The hand with which he had attempted his crime was burnt off, and his limbs were tied to horses to be torn apart. Apparently, they had to hack at his sinews a little for it to work. His torso, which a skilled executioner would ensure was still living, was then burnt at the stake.

Although not strictly speaking an execution, peine forte et dure sounds rather grim. It was a method of torture wherein those who stood mute in court were effectively crushed to death.
Reply 45
[ followed by "/" and Spoiler]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Horrdenous but as bad as this?
I cannot seem to get the spoiler button to work so I will say do not read on if you cannot deal with the unpleasant.

Spoiler

[

They're both up there - but personally I reckon that the amende honorable is worse than the Boats.

You do a spoiler by doing this

Spoiler

Please ignore the fact that it says HTML code - I was just trying to stop it from showing a spoiler tag instead of code!
Bump.
Hanging, drawing and quartering is pretty grim.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Death by 1D.

Being tied to a chair and gagged, whilst being forced to listen to an endless loop of Best Song Ever until the condemned gives up hope from the torture and just passes away.

similar but with any elton john or queen song ever written !!!
The execution of those who took part in Easter Rising in Dublin.

Look at James Connolly
Reply 51
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Stoning still happens legally in Saudi Arabia, women get pelted in public executions if they are caught looking an unmarried man.

In the UK, they chop you into 50 pieces and feed you to dogs if you look at a married men.

Also, they only do this to women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Al-Mudaari
In the UK, they chop you into 50 pieces and feed you to dogs if you look at a married men.

Also, they only do this to women.

oh so you are a troll, I was wondering about that
The bronze bull was a pretty grim creation of the Greeks. Being burnt alive does not sound like a good way to die
In my opinon

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

2) Burned alive.

3) Immurement. This is being imprisoned and left to starve to death.

4) Being buried alive.

I think number 2 should be lower because you would be dead pretty quick, which means the execution isn't half has bad.
Original post by That Bearded Man

Look at James Connolly

He was executed by firing squad. Not nice, but as executions go I wouldn't say that it was particularly gruesome either tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
These are the most brutal executions which I have heard from history:

Impalement - an executions from the 15th century by which the delinquent is sitting on a stake and is penetrated step by step.
Death by sawing - I guess there is nothing to be added. Very brutal!
Execution by elephant - an execution from India by which a delinquent puts the head on a stone which will trample by an elephant's food.
(edited 10 years ago)
How has William Wallace not got a mention yet?
Original post by That Bearded Man

Look at James Connolly

You call death by firing squad the most horrific execution in history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending