The Student Room Group

Meat eaters: Could you date a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ripper-Roo
How does someone's eating choices harm you

I didn't say it did, did I?
Reply 21
Yes and yes. I'd probably be eating their food a lot though, vegan stuff is often super healthy :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Wilfred Little
I didn't say it did, did I?

You implied it by saying "rather not", as in it would be an inconvenience or a factor to not like someone. I'm not having a go, I just don't think vegetarianism affects anyone but the person at hand
Reply 23
No.
Reply 24
I'm vegetarian, my girlfriend isn't though.
Reply 25
Well would she bug me about it?

And what would the cooking situation be like? I think a great thing couples can do is spend time cooking and eating together so would that lead to problems?
Yes, this is almost a non-issue for me.

I thought the problem would be worse the other way around, especially if your partner goes "Hnnnnnnnnggggg come here bby gimme a kiss :perv:" after chomping down a massive, joocy steak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ripper-Roo
You implied it by saying "rather not", as in it would be an inconvenience or a factor to not like someone. I'm not having a go, I just don't think vegetarianism affects anyone but the person at hand

OK cool no worries. I can't be bothered to go into a lengthy discussion about it but I consider it similar to smoking, I'd date a smoker but I'd rather not, for health reasons, I'd worry about their health (protein from veg sources not complete, legumes high in antinutrients preventing absorption of minerals and the like which can lead to a plethora of health issues inc. osteoporosis).

Don't care if anyone disagrees, I will not be typing essays on it, that's my answer.
Reply 28
My boyfriend is a vegetarian and I'm a meat-eater. I was brought up eating meat and his family was brought up vegetarian.

He's perfectly fine with me ripping apart a Nando's chicken in front of him or with me cooking bacon, but he occasionally has to cut up meat and cook meat as part of his job so I think he's just used to it but prefers to eat vegetarian. And I've tried loads of really wonderful, healthy new veggie food when I cook for both of us that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

However it'd bother me if the other person had a superior attitude about it, for example constantly asking me why I couldn't kill a chicken myself, or making sad moo-ing noises every time I eat a cheeseburger. It's just a choice and not something you should shame someone for just because they don't eat the same way you do.
Well I am a meat eater but went Vegan/Vegetarian for about a year and a half last year so I don't think I would have a problem dating a vegetarian now. I like a lot of vegetarian food and as long as they don't criticise my meal choices then I don't see a problem :tongue:
Reply 30
Yeah I could date someone who was vegetarian, I don't really like meat that much so we could still eat all the same meals. Small chance of it working with a vegan though
I could date either, so long as I had the freedom to keep eating what I wanted :smile:
Yes, both, provided that they didn't have a problem with my meat-eating.
Yeah don't care.
Original post by BKS

ETA: though I couldn't date the sort of vegetarian who says stuff like 'I'd love to be vegan but I just love cheese so much, it must be so hard to go without it'. A meat eater who was entirly ethically comfortable with eating meat would bother me less.

Why is that? Maybe you have a different perspective because you're vegan yourself, but personally it won't only bother me to be with someone who was hypocritical, e.g. claiming to be a vegetarian but wearing leather shoes. I wouldn't have a problem with someone who recognises and admits their 'limitations', as it were. That's perhaps because I'm the same though: animal welfare does bother me and I have considered becoming vegetarian, but I just don't think I can give up meat, as I enjoy it so much. I strive to eat free-range as much as possible, but I hope you wouldn't look down on me for weighing up meat vs. animal rights and coming out on the side you're opposed to.
(edited 10 years ago)
As long as they don't force me to have the same diet, it wouldn't bother me.

It would be a pain having to cook separate meals all the time though... I like meat.
Reply 36
Original post by Wilfred Little
OK cool no worries. I can't be bothered to go into a lengthy discussion about it but I consider it similar to smoking, I'd date a smoker but I'd rather not, for health reasons, I'd worry about their health (protein from veg sources not complete, legumes high in antinutrients preventing absorption of minerals and the like which can lead to a plethora of health issues inc. osteoporosis).

Don't care if anyone disagrees, I will not be typing essays on it, that's my answer.

Ah OK, I don't think you really need to care about someone else's health other than your own. Obviously it's "fine" to disapprove of someone as a potential partner if they don't care about their health.

I thought you were arguing more from the perspective that vegetarians may be likely to be self-righteous and look down on your eating habits as a meat eater
I'd date either a vegetarian or vegan provided that they didn't preach to be regularly. Couples don't have to agree on everything.
Reply 38
No I couldn't.
My cooking skills have improved lately, how am I supposed to make my partner a full fatty English breakfast with bacon and the lot if they refuse the meaty goodness?

I'd go stir crazy. :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by Alpha brah
Yes and yes. I'd probably be eating their food a lot though, vegan stuff is often super healthy :tongue:

Wanna date bby? :wink:

Original post by Felix Felicis
Yes, this is almost a non-issue for me.

I thought the problem would be worse the other way around, especially if your partner goes "Hnnnnnnnnggggg come here bby gimme a kiss :perv:" after chomping down a massive, joocy steak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urgh that's gross :nooo:

Quick Reply

Latest