The Student Room Group

Body Fat Confusion

Today I had my gym induction as I want to get a bit fitter. I'm 5'3" and 138lbs (62.5kg) so my BMI is at the high end of normal. I have a bit of tummy and thigh fat but I don't look fat or overweight (at least I don't think so!)

So what confused me is that the guy used a machine on me and it came out that my body fat is 44%. Now that sounds really high to me and I've looked online at charts and stuff and the pictures of people with that body fat percentage look a lot bigger than me and I'd say I look more like the pictures that depict 30% body fat. Also it says that over 35% is 'obese' and if I don't look fat and have a normal BMI then how does that even make sense?!

So basically can someone just explain the whole body fat percentage thing to me please? It's worried me.
The guy is a shmuck.

The only real way to accurately measure body fat is using a bod pod. I think callipers can be pretty accurate, although they're still not spot on. Any sort of machine is likely to be complete BS.

Are you at a budget commercial gym by any chance? Most trainers there couldn't tell their arse from their elbow.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
The guy is a shmuck.

The only real way to accurately measure body fat is using a bod pod. I think callipers can be pretty accurate, although they're still not spot on. Any sort of machine is likely to be complete BS.

Are you at a budget commercial gym by any chance? Most trainers there couldn't tell their arse from their elbow.

I'm at a YMCA gym haha so I guess you could say that
Original post by KingstonFresher
I'm at a YMCA gym haha so I guess you could say that

Not to tarnish them all with the same brush, but, ignore what they say and you'll be better for it.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Not to tarnish them all with the same brush, but, ignore what they say and you'll be better for it.

Thanks, you've made me feel better about it. Even though I know I'm not fat if someone tells you that your body fat is that high it's pretty damaging to the old self-esteem!

Quick Reply

Latest