The Student Room Group

23 years old and stuck in a rut. i would like some advice

Hopefully I don’t make this too long but...

I did 1 year of Uni in Wolverhampton (biology and psychology combined) but then switched the next year to Birmingham city (nutrition science) for 2 and a half years. I failed half a module (practical exam) 3 times which had very strict marking) so although I completed everything else I got kicked out of university because of it.

This means, according to student finance, I have received 4 years of funding from them and I’m not entitled to any more (which I understand). So I have basically I feel I have wasted 4 years of my life with nothing to show. I can’t afford to start a new course as I’m pretty sure I’ll have to pay the new fees and I just don’t have the money since I’ve been in constant education so I’ve never had a full time job. I do work part time as a team leader at a football club but this is a dead end job and only on match days so I make probably £50 a month (still live at home with parent and brother of course).
At first I was interested in doing something in nutrition and sport/ but did not want to be a personal trainer as most of the places I’ve looked at what you to pay for a space to train and you only get paid on getting cliets.so I’m just not motivated in that area anymore
I just really need some advice on what my options are. I was considering an apprenticeship but I am not sure if I am too old to get chosen or what to do. I just don’t want to be stuck in a dead end job in a shop where I can’t make something of myself. It’s really upsetting and I’ve tried to look for jobs but I haven’t found anything that would teach me anything or I dot have the qualifications to do get it. I need to do something that’s interesting.

I apologise for how long this is I tried to keep it short ad forgive the grammar.

edit: I’m interested in nutrition, computers, sport ad video games.

Qualifications
GCSE:
English (Lit & Lang) - CC
Maths - B
Science (Dbl award)- BB
Applied ICT CC
Physical Education C
Design ad Technology C

A level: I didn’t do too well in my A-levels
Psychology - E
Sport - E
Computing E
Human Biology E

Uiversity:
Wolverhapton:
Biology and psychology 1 year 60 credits
Birmingham city university 2 and half years waiting on credit award
(edited 10 years ago)
Buddy your not alone, I failed after 2 years at uni... It's horrible! You sound so calm lol .. maybe you didn't put enough effort in and thats what you need to focus on...Maybe you could consider dietician or something, after earning money for a while. Apprentice is also an option I am considering!
Reply 2
I know graduates cannot do apprenticeships, prob because they already had funding for their degree. However I'm unsure about failed graduates. I dunno how you got In to uni with straight e's? I am stuck in a rut like you, don't feel too bad about failing, I have a degree but still feel like there's too much competition and don't know what I really want to do. A lot,of people never use there degrees.
Reply 3
Original post by ofroofro
Hopefully I don’t make this too long but...

I did 1 year of Uni in Wolverhampton (biology and psychology combined) but then switched the next year to Birmingham city (nutrition science) for 2 and a half years. I failed half a module (practical exam) 3 times which had very strict marking) so although I completed everything else I got kicked out of university because of it.

This means, according to student finance, I have received 4 years of funding from them and I’m not entitled to any more (which I understand). So I have basically I feel I have wasted 4 years of my life with nothing to show. I can’t afford to start a new course as I’m pretty sure I’ll have to pay the new fees and I just don’t have the money since I’ve been in constant education so I’ve never had a full time job. I do work part time as a team leader at a football club but this is a dead end job and only on match days so I make probably £50 a month (still live at home with parent and brother of course).
At first I was interested in doing something in nutrition and sport/ but did not want to be a personal trainer as most of the places I’ve looked at what you to pay for a space to train and you only get paid on getting cliets.so I’m just not motivated in that area anymore
I just really need some advice on what my options are. I was considering an apprenticeship but I am not sure if I am too old to get chosen or what to do. I just don’t want to be stuck in a dead end job in a shop where I can’t make something of myself. It’s really upsetting and I’ve tried to look for jobs but I haven’t found anything that would teach me anything or I dot have the qualifications to do get it. I need to do something that’s interesting.

I apologise for how long this is I tried to keep it short ad forgive the grammar.

edit: I’m interested in nutrition, computers, sport ad video games.

Qualifications
GCSE:
English (Lit & Lang) - CC
Maths - B
Science (Dbl award)- BB
Applied ICT CC
Physical Education C
Design ad Technology C

A level: I didn’t do too well in my A-levels
Psychology - E
Sport - E
Computing E
Human Biology E

Uiversity:
Wolverhapton:
Biology and psychology 1 year 60 credits
Birmingham city university 2 and half years waiting on credit award

hi and happy new year. There used to be funding for apprenticeships up to the age of 24 (full funding for 16 to 18 year olds and half funding for over 19's) then this changed to funding up to the age of 23 and people enrolling on apprenticeships aged 24 plus being able to get a government loan to cover the cost of the apprenticeship. As far as I know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending