The Student Room Group

How do I find a member?

Members list isn't very good FYI, it would be helpful if you listed people alphbetically not by rep. Anyway if I know someone's username and want to message them how do I find them?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Members list isn't very good FYI, it would be helpful if you listed people alphbetically not by rep. Anyway if I know someone's username and want to message them how do I find them?

Search all bar at the top right.

Click on the drop down box 'all' - then pick 'advanced search' - then type their username in the 'search by username' box :h:
You could alternatively just type their username into the 'Search Members' drop down on the Find Members page.

Or to order alphabetically, click on the 'username' hyperlink then it will order either alphabetically ascending or descending (depending how many times you click it). Although, this is a pain because it doesn't start with A or Z... the punctuation, numbers and symbols rank first.

Or use the alphabetical links (the alphabet bar) at the top of the Find Members page for easier access.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
The best way I guess is to search members on the members list, as TheGirlNextdoor says. It should say "search members" on the blue bar just above the usernames.

Note that this won't search members with 0 posts and banned members.
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
You could alternatively just type their username into the 'Search Members' drop down on the Find Members page.

Or to order alphabetically, click on the 'username' hyperlink then it will order either alphabetically ascending or descending (depending how many times you click it). Although, this is a pain because it doesn't start with A or Z... the punctuation, numbers and symbols rank first.

Or use the alphabetical links (the alphabet bar) at the top of the Find Members page for easier access.

Ooh didn't know this, learnt something :biggrin: I thought you could list members in alphabetical order but I guess not.
I haven't replied to your PM and quotes yet, I'll do it soon but I'm busy atm and I'll reply to your VM now.
Original post by AMYC1999
Ooh didn't know this, learnt something :biggrin: I thought you could list members in alphabetical order but I guess not.
I haven't replied to your PM and quotes yet, I'll do it soon but I'm busy atm and I'll reply to your VM now.

You can order them alphabetically, but if you click it the ordering, you won't see them ordered A-Z. You'll see them ordered !-~ (or something :tongue:). Best bet is to search their name or to click on the alphabet links at the top of the Find Members page :yep:

No problem :h:
Oh crap they've changed it! Or just type their username in the 'search box':h: which shows up what they've been upto!
(edited 10 years ago)
Honestly? I know I'm meant to say how great the features of the site are etc etc

But I just use google.

Going to mess around with it, I must have not noticed it was changed at all :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

If you know the username, you could just type their name straight into the recipient field of a new PM and click the correct suggestion from the drop-down list.

But yeah, advanced search of memberlist is probably the way to go for VMs etc.
My members list is ordered alphabetically, always has been!
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
My members list is ordered alphabetically, always has been!

If you click the fields at the top you can change how it sorts. I believe "sorted by rep" is the default, but it sounds like you can change the default and not just how it sorts once, from what you're saying!
Original post by Tortious
If you click the fields at the top you can change how it sorts. I believe "sorted by rep" is the default, but it sounds like you can change the default and not just how it sorts once, from what you're saying!

Oh okay I must have changed it at some point then. To be fair I've been here 4 years so I may well have done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending